Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530iA
2bazookas I LOVE the color of your car! Nice clean find.
TomK
Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Re: Just picked up a 2003 530i!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bazookas View Post
I just picked up a 2003 530i base model as well with 69,000 miles on it. Now it's a garage queen until my 2000 Toyota Camry LE with 317,000 miles on it dies. I don't see that happening soon. TacticalBassist looks like we need to find some new shoes for our 530i's. Congratulations on the new ride.

Nice car! Our wheels look good, but they're too small for my liking. I had 16s on my Tundra but I had large tires and my wheels had a nice offset so it looked alright.

Your car is a bit nicer than mine specs wise, but I wanted a 5-speed so I'm content.

You gotta get the front license plate bracket replaced! Mine should be back from the paint shop Monday or Tuesday.
Oh one last question... what is that cup holder thing?! I need something like that!

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|150,600 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!

Last edited by TacticalBassist; 04-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 PM
retiredat44

Mein Auto: BMW
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalBassist View Post
Thanks, I just bought one on ebay. It's just south of me in Sanford, FL so hopefully it'll be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. It sure cleans up the front of the car!

Thanks for the part #, I'm going to look it up. I miss the Bluetooth music streaming capability of the aftermarket headuint in my Tundra... an AUX input should make up for it.

I am insterested in this too, since I don't have an aux, only a dice for ipod and don't have an ipod, I saw connectors on eBay and in stores,, but wasn't sure if they would give me what I want, more options to plug in more music components on the old radio with CD.

Where will it pjug in, and with a cheap costing aux plug will that give the aux jack access to plug in like an android with mp3 music? Does that pug into the the trunk at a CD changer acess point, or from back of the factory stereo in dash (I want trunk pug ins). The Dice ipod unti that came witht eh car is older model, and like I said I don't have ipod. The Grom or dice multimedia addition struff is like at least $150.00, more or lesss).

Updates and info would ber nice. I know there are already plenty of threads and faqs for these with pictures, but stiil have lots of unanswered questions.

Disabled Veteran:
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
I am insterested in this too, since I don't have an aux, only a dice for ipod and don't have an ipod, I saw connectors on eBay and in stores,, but wasn't sure if they would give me what I want, more options to plug in more music components on the old radio with CD.

Where will it pjug in, and with a cheap costing aux plug will that give the aux jack access to plug in like an android with mp3 music? Does that pug into the the trunk at a CD changer acess point, or from back of the factory stereo in dash (I want trunk pug ins). The Dice ipod unti that came witht eh car is older model, and like I said I don't have ipod. The Grom or dice multimedia addition struff is like at least $150.00, more or lesss).

Updates and info would ber nice. I know there are already plenty of threads and faqs for these with pictures, but stiil have lots of unanswered questions.
I'm basically anti Apple (minus their computers). I hate that everything is "iPhone and iPod integrated" because I have neither. I'm hoping this aux cable is fairly simple to install because I'm sick of using CD's and trying yo change then while driving a stick. Lol

2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|150,600 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
..........Just in the last year, the cooling system was overhauled (including new water pump, expansion tank, and radiator..........All said, I am glad I bought this car even if I slightly overpaid.
Knowing this makes the higher sale price easier to absorb. You would have had to pay it eventually.

Now you can move on to replacing the suspension components, and new wheels. Sell your 16" on line to recoupe some of the expense of 17" or 18" wheels and tires. Personally, I'd suggest a 17" setup. 18" tires can get real expensive for top performance tires. Make sure that the wheels you eventually purchase are compatable with E39 BMW's.

You should be quite happy for some time with a 530 three pedal!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansFan View Post
Knowing this makes the higher sale price easier to absorb. You would have had to pay it eventually.

Now you can move on to replacing the suspension components, and new wheels. Sell your 16" on line to recoupe some of the expense of 17" or 18" wheels and tires. Personally, I'd suggest a 17" setup. 18" tires can get real expensive for top performance tires. Make sure that the wheels you eventually purchase are compatable with E39 BMW's.

You should be quite happy for some time with a 530 three pedal!
I am definitely glad the p/o did all of that work in the last year so I don't have to. I found an awesome set of staggered 18s with fairly new Michelin tires on them for $1100. They're for sale locally so I think I'll let them sit for a while. If I miss out, oh well. That's $1100 I didn't spend.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/3766199922.html

Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
retiredat44

Question

nevermind,,, wife was nagging,, reposted below..

Disabled Veteran:

Last edited by retiredat44; 04-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: e39
looks niiice kinda like mine

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3752325334.html
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM
retiredat44

Question

Quote:
Nice car! Our wheels look good, but they're too small for my liking. I had 16s on my Tundra but I had large tires and my wheels had a nice offset so it looked alright.

Your car is a bit nicer than mine specs wise, but I wanted a 5-speed so I'm content.

You gotta get the front license plate bracket replaced! Mine should be back from the paint shop Monday or Tuesday.
Oh one last question... what is that cup holder thing?! I need something like that!

re: Cup Holder

Could you please give measurements of the cup holes and depth,, my wife just gave me hell about finding the size of the cup holder... and I told her, she can see the same picture I see... I really appreciate the info...

thank you,
Steven

Disabled Veteran:

Last edited by retiredat44; 04-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
re: Cup Holder

Could you please give measurements of the cup holes and depth,, my wife just gave me hell about finding the size of the cup holder... and I told her, she can see the same picture I see... I really appreciate the info...

thank you,
Steven
Another Steven! (well mine is spelled with a "ph") I'm going to try ebay real quick and see if I can find anything.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 AM
retiredat44

Lightbulb

I found it:

http://www.cup-holders.com/shoppingc...up-Holders.htm

very expensive but very nice,, also, alternative: wife said maybe use the tennis shoe
(from another website with suggestions..)

Disabled Veteran:
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I found it:

very expensive but very nice,, also, alternative: wife said maybe use the tennis shoe
Nice find! That is a bit pricey... but might be worth it. I'm saving that link.

In other news, I found an aux adapter for my car on ebay. Might be buying that soon. Changing CDs while driving stick is no simple task.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
retiredat44

Lightbulb

Quote:
Nice find! That is a bit pricey... but might be worth it. I'm saving that link.

In other news, I found an aux adapter for my car on ebay. Might be buying that soon. Changing CDs while driving stick is no simple task.
If I knew that plugging that aux cable in would work, I would do it, but I look and I find that I need some $100 kit... not just a two bit cable connector,,, so, if anyone has the regular BMW equiped stereo without nav and no DSP, just stereo with CD player built in.... and can connected an aux cable to an android or whatever.. I would love to do it.. sooner or later I wil end up getting some connection device.. just feel screwed paying so much fo a two bit cable connector,, what a racket...

The cup holder is very nice,, also , gotta make sure that no one spills their drink up there,, on the console area, there are too many eletronics everwhere,, and don't want liquid near them... but it's is crazy expensive for that cup holder...

every item I look for costs too much

Disabled Veteran:
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
If I knew that plugging that aux cable in would work, I would do it, but I look and I find that I need some $100 kit... not just a two bit cable connector,,, so, if anyone has the regular BMW equiped stereo without nav and no DSP, just stereo with CD player built in.... and can connected an aux cable to an android or whatever.. I would love to do it.. sooner or later I wil end up getting some connection device.. just feel screwed paying so much fo a two bit cable connector,, what a racket...

The cup holder is very nice,, also , gotta make sure that no one spills their drink up there,, on the console area, there are too many eletronics everwhere,, and don't want liquid near them... but it's is crazy expensive for that cup holder...

every item I look for costs too much
I buy everything I can on eBay. Heck, I'm so cheap, my last three upgraded cell phones are refurbished units that I repaired myself.

That being said, I found the OEM BMW aux adapter for half price on eBay. Just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet cause I might be able to find it for less.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Reppin' the 'fest!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130503_145455_933.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	374571

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 540i
Congrats dude nice ride I just bought me a 2003 540i as well love
The car as well best ride I got from a car and I had
Plenty of German cars
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530iA
Quote:
I found it:

I bought this cupholder a few weeks ago and like it a lot. Its pricey, but matches perfectly with the interior.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkumi88 View Post
I bought this cupholder a few weeks ago and like it a lot. Its pricey, but matches perfectly with the interior.
I found out my Taco Bell large sweet tea (miraculously) fits in the stock cup holder so I'm good.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM

FINALLY got my parts back, all nice and painted! Didn't put the trunk lip on yet cause it was getting dark. But man, what a difference without that stupid license plate bracket!

Name:	1367896311037.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	375145

Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Name:	IMG_20130508_174533_026.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	375522

Name:	IMG_20130508_174542_698.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	375523

Got the M5 replica trunk lip installed! Next on the list for the exterior are some new wheels. I've posted a few wheel links before, but here's something new that popped up. If I'm not mistaken, these were stock on the M Sport 530i's?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/3790906315.html

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
I've posted a few wheel links before, but here's something new that popped up. If I'm not mistaken, these were stock on the M Sport 530i's?
Those were part of the 530i Sport pkg.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Faithful to the fest

Send a message via AIM to Eurojay89
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Attachment 375522

Attachment 375523

Got the M5 replica trunk lip installed! Next on the list for the exterior are some new wheels. I've posted a few wheel links before, but here's something new that popped up. If I'm not mistaken, these were stock on the M Sport 530i's?

what is going on in the background of that second pic lol

Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose6789 View Post
what is going on in the background of that second pic lol
Lol my parents acting like high schoolers.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
I owned a 2001 530 Sport. Loved the look of the Style 42s. If you go to see, check for corrosion inside the multipiece rim, water can get inside. When I bought, wheels had been neglected by PO, couldn't bring them back and I used them as snows.

Also the stock tire size was 235 all around, no stagger.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
FINALLY got my parts back, all nice and painted! Didn't put the trunk lip on yet cause it was getting dark. But man, what a difference without that stupid license plate bracket!

Attachment 375145

I didn't know you could remove the front license plate plastic mounting assy. Where did you get the replacement assy and what is the part number? How did you remove it. You're right about how unnatural it looks. I never liked it and now I can replace it. Jolly Good!

Also, did you put a USB port in? If so, how is it working? I've got an Android OS and was looking for something that would work that wasn't expensive and take too long to install.

Last edited by 2bazookas; 05-10-2013 at 09:05 AM.