Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 e38. schwartzx2
ALmost got it started!

So I have a car I cannot get to start. I bought a scan tool and it says the EWS wire is blocked and the EWS will not light up at all, and the computer doesnt recognize the EWS is there.

It says "starter disabled." but I don't know why. At least now I know the car is disabling itself. I bought the cheap scan tool on ebay, because a member said he reset his EWS with it, but I can't do that yet.

Should the light on the EWS be on? There is no power to it. What is before the EWS in the wiring diagram.

The battery is good, starter is good, ignition switch is good, could it be that simple that the ews is bad or just not getting power?
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM

correction, not almost there...

so that light that I 'saw' on the EWS was not actually a light, I am just really big, and I can't fit down there very well. Apologies for any confusion.

But the EWS does get current 12.5 volts, but still a no start.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 97' BMW 740il, 06' 330i
immobilizer issue is my guess..
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM

EWS= Over engineered CRAP!!

Did they think trough the issues of having this thing in the car's autumn years and how much unnecessary headaches it would cause?!

Nicht!!!

My 900$ project has the best theft deterrent in the world! Thank god. {sarcasm}

For some reason, the car isn't recognizing the key, and the starter is disabled, now what to do about it?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
I have been fighting this same battle for four months with my 2001 525i. No crank, no spark, no start. Replaced ignition switch, and starter. Was intermitent problem, that became more frequent, til finally nothing. Fuses all seem ok, cannot find starter relay. It is NOT behind glove box. The slot where ALL literature says it should be is empty. I did finally find EWS, also not where any literature I could find said it should be. It turned up under instrument panel to the left of steering column. Mounted next to a relay I cant identify(starter relay????) All leads to EWS show normal voltage, EXCEPT #1, the wire that is supposed to go from EWS to starter relay. I only have the one key. The buttons stopped working long ago. I have read about EWS bypass/delete I think this is my only shot. Local BMW dealership is staffed with pompous morons and I will NEVER return there much less give them one thin dime more. (They had a hard time getting the car to crank to return it to me after charging me $850 to replace starter plus $145 diagnostic fee??!!!) Two shops have now given up one of which is pretty experienced with BMWs. Any input is welcome. I am at the end of my rope, and I cannot affor to throw any more $$$ at this problem. The $1500 or so I have coughed up thus far has not solved squat. Did your problem start as an intermitent thing , or did it just stop?? I am not able to determine if my EWS is shot , or it is just not recognizing the key.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM

tough one

I think when the BMW dealer "fixed" you car, they should have hooked it up to their high end computer, and might have a print out of what was wrong, codes, etc. This would be good to know.

I can only assume that they fixed the problems that the car listed, because if it had a bunch of codes, they should have went off of those...

I would check to see if the starter is getting a + from the car, you can check it with a test light, unhook the quick connect to the starter and test both wires with a friend turning the ignition key.

I would start there. I think you might need a diagnostic program, to see what codes you car is showing. It would be very important to know.

Also, my cousin bought a 5 series that wouldn't start, and he got it for cheap, and it was the engine not grounded to the frame. He just cleaned off the contact, and hasn't had a problem since.

I think that trouble shooting these cars is not conventional automotive troubleshooting. They are way more complex, and you need a computer to understand them.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Also, to answer your question, my car started and ran perfectly when I bought it, I had it towed home, then it wouldn't start. It was not intermittent. It has a host of error messages including 'wrong random code,' 'wrong password,' and 'key not recognized' and 'starter not enabled.'
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM

I can Force the starter to turn, by attaching jumper wire between terminals. Car still will not start because EWS not pemitting spark. I have checked most of electrical, including BMW "earth" points all seem ok and good connections.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 AM

EWS hell it is very frustrating.

Because your problem is intermittent, might be something simple. In researching, some of the EWS issues are intermittent, most are not.

Did you try to ground the engine to the body and start it?

I would be willing to bet that you are in EWS hell just like I am. I have researched this problem at length, and you won't get any help, because people think you are doing something shady, and they don't want to be the one who helps someone with a stolen car. That is my best guess, usually when I ask something, i get great responses, with EWS questions, either people don't know or won't tell.

I would be willing to bet that your starter is disabled as well. If you bought a code reader, it would tell you the starter was disabled, but not what to do about it. So I think either that, or the dealer/indy mechanic. If it is an EWS issue, I don't see a way around it. A code reader is more or less a necessity.

The best I can tell you is you will need the high end fancy BMW computer program, or someone who really knows what they are doing, call some Indy shops, and ask them specific questions, and see if they can help.

I am pretty sure the fix is not that pricy, because they can replace your EWS, or reprogram it and resynch it to your DME, and hopefully problem solved. But all this must be done under the very expensive shadow of BMW proprietary cost raising extortion. Or maybe a good indy, but I think you have an internal computer issue.

And when you figure it out, please let the rest of us know!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM

I ordered laptop program, should work as code reader, and be able to re sync EWS/DME. I will definitely relay the final resolution on this forum. If there is any way to spare someone the agony I have been going through, I will. I LOVE my 525. I am determined to get it back up and running. All I can do now is wait for delivery of my cable and program, then wade back into it.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Now yer talkin!

Hopefully that will do it. I know on another site, a guy did that and he was fixed immediately, bang zoom!!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
You may find reading this helpful:
http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_EWSI+II.pdf

Might be worth checking that the key innards are intact and nothing obviously broken too...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM

I have read that thing about 20 times, and It is very informative, but when you car won't start, it does little to help, and no information about how to fix anything except send it to the dealer, which I am trying to avoid at any cost. But we all know where I am going to end up.

'OK, we had to reflash your DME and a new key, and re-combobulate your EWS, that'll be 13,987$ plus tax."

Me: "ugh, I paid 900 for the whole car."
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
Just to eliminate the obvious, you (or the previous owner) haven't entered a PIN code in the OBC have you?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
@edog, maybe I missed it but is your car turning over but not starting? Or not cranking at all?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks for chiming in, guys.

Is the OBC on board computer? I don't know what that is, and haven't entered any pin code, but pointing out the obvious can usually help me very much, as I can be very absent minded.

The car does not crank. It will crank like a madman if jumped with a screwdriver, but with the key in the ignition, and the ignition switch turned with a screwdriver, it does nothing.

It did start, once, it required several attempts because the gas is very old. After a rough smoky start it idled perfectly. I had it towed home, and nothing.

According to PA soft error codes are 'starter enabled' {red box-- no}
It lists: key not recognized, wrong random code, wrong password. And something else I cant remember.

All ews codes are cleared, and all DME codes are cleared. It won't run the EWS/DME reallign because it gives an error message. I had just bought the car but I know the key is the right one because it unlocks all of the locks works the remote unlock function and fits in all the tumblers. I know the error message says that the key is incorrect but I have a spare and it doesn't work either. As I understand from research all the keys have the transponder and should work with the ring antenna to clear the car to start even the valet key.

I had an inch of ice in the pass floorboard, and I cleaned everything, and replaced the fusebox, and everything tests fine. Fuses fine, new IG switch, new battery. everything else on the car works perfectly. I have multiple threads on multiple forums and no one seems to know what is going on.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM

If there was just an alignment issue between DME/EWS, the car would still crank. No crank would indicate EWS/immobilizer issue as suggested above. However, if you have water on the passenger floor, it probably came from the sunroof drains being clogged. Very first thing I would look at is the General Module behind the glove box. It often gets wet with this issue and will cause all kinds of problems.

I have little experience using the BMW software I have and none with PA Soft. The experienced software guys I know don't like it. I guess I am saying don't live and die by what it's telling you. JMO.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Will do on the general module!

Roger that. I will check for water damage on the general module.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM

I have definitely had sunroof issues and plugged drains prior to my no crank problem. After some torrential downpours I had water in the body panels in car. You could hear it sloshing around every time I came to a stop. I got the water out, and fixed drains, but it was some months after that before real problem started. Here is one of the nuttier wrinkles. I was cleaning car and putting back the interior trim. I reached over and turned key on a whim(just to see) AND IT STARTED!!!! I have not been able to get it to crank for a month. Noting had changed that I could put a finger on from any other time that it would not start. There is one curiosity. The EWS relay will only engage(I can hear/feel the click) if I press the key FIRMLY into the lock tumbler. If I turn key w/out pushing pretty hard, no crank. I was still having intermittent crank failures approx 70% I turned key w/pressure. Now I am totally confused.I too will be taking a close look at my general module. I think my problems and edognight's are basically the same. At least I have experienced all the same issues.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Be sure to check your ebox for water as well. Starter relay is on the bottom. It's on the firewall under the hood, passenger side if you have not had to access it before.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:38 PM

Any update on the no start from chief420?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM

Just a thought after reading thru this again. There are fuses under the passenger seat that have the potential of causing your issue.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...8old/index.htm

Put F107 in the search box to get to the info I am referring to. See item '7' in this thread. It's for an E39 but it's the same setup and you will see what you are looking for. It will be obvious if they have been wet.

http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/792253

Depending on your view, you want, or don't want, to find this:

Edit: Also, if you found water in the ebox, pull out the DME and check for corrosion. Also check the tan colored fuse holder. It will have 5 30A fuses in it. Be sure to check those as well. They protect the DME and can cause no start and/or no crank issues.

Last edited by Mayorchuck; 05-29-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 AM

That is about what I found in mine! But I got a new fusebox, and cleaned up all the terminals, and it tests fine. Mine's not as bad as that, but yuck! Also, right in front of the fusebox, and under a white plastic cover are dozens of black plastic terminals, and I tested many of them, and I think there is my problem. some of them have funny voltage, and i really don't know what they are, or what they do, but I can clean them up! I'll be back at it today, and I'm just about to PART THIS THING OUT. Cars are fun, but trouble shooting the electrics on a BMW, is not. Not at all.

I checked the DME, general module, all fuses, EWS wires, new ig switch new battery, etc etc. Car soft says starter disabled, but won't say why. First I need to get the ignition lock back in there, and fix the taillights. Then it's off to the indy, or a cliff.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 PM

Good luck. Keep us informed and take pics if you can.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Pics

Found right in front of the fusebox, covered in an inch of water (ice) this winter. It might be the cause, and It might not. Just a big bunch of wires in plastic connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	380044