Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 328 ixT, R 80
Servotronic on the X1?

I'm going to be ordering an X 1 for ED and see the Servotronic is an option. All the demos at the dealer have it. Has anyone been able to test drive with and without to compare the handling? Logically it doesn't seem necessary on a car that light. Recommendations?
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Agreed, not necessary. Might think differently if I did a lot of parallel parking and had no upper body strength . Our x drive 28i M sport is just right.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
I encourage you to find an X1 without the Servotronic and compare them for yourself. The standard hydraulic steering offers great feel, but low speed effort is significantly higher. And not just higher than the Servotronic X1's, but higher than any vehicle I've driven in recent memory. Not everybody likes the heavy standard steering. My wife hates trying to maneuver my non-Servo M Sport around her employer's tight parking garage.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I encourage you to find an X1 without the Servotronic and compare them for yourself. The standard hydraulic steering offers great feel, but low speed effort is significantly higher. And not just higher than the Servotronic X1's, but higher than any vehicle I've driven in recent memory. Not everybody likes the heavy standard steering. My wife hates trying to maneuver my non-Servo M Sport around her employer's tight parking garage.
+1, test drive

The steering effort is less than in my wife's 128i. I had planned to order servo for her sake but she had me delete it after the test drive.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: RX-8
I loved both servo and hydraulic without it.

Both have pros and cons. I think as a Daily Driver...for me...I want the servo.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
This is what I did. When I went I went with a friend of mine that also test drove while I sat in the backseat to listen for road noise, stereo, etc. I was ok without the Servotronic, but for her (5'1 and like 90lbs wet) she was grunting on the hydraulic when it came time to do low mph turning. Servotronic is a nice option though if you ever plan to have a broken arm and still would like to turn without a ton of strain.