Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Thumbs up DINAN Exhaust Video - F10 550 S3

Finally, here it is. I have been trying very hard to capture the Dinan exhaust on video. Even in this video is it no where close to what it actually sounds in-person. It is like 5 times more cooler in person than what it sounds in this video, maybe something to do with the low-frequency and ability of the GoPro mic recording....

Anyway, had some serious fun at this AutoX event and wanted to share with you. There was a Jeep SRT8 competing and my 550 S3 smoked it

You will see in the first part of the video there is a lot of suspension travel because i dont have the dinan suspension ( not yet.... ) and may go for it. I am just not pulling the trigger on it yet for fear of losing ride/pot hole compliance....

The Dinan stage3 with exhaust gives a massive gain and performance is phenomenal, never driven a car like this!!!!

Enjoy! - The end of the video has some clips from the cockpit but my fav is the view from the wheel.

One important thing is to watch this video in 1080p HIGH DEF resolution otherwise you will not hear much of the exhaust. May also help use good headsets.

Adding a couple more videos.

Last edited by Sam-F10; 04-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Great Work!
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks, one important thing is to watch this video in 1080p HIGH DEF resolution otherwise you will not hear much of the exhaust. May also help use good headsets.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
May i see a photo of the rear of the car?
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
May i see a photo of the rear of the car?
Sure, I should have one in my home pc, will post later today.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
That's an awesome share!

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
That's an awesome share!
+1. I've been waiting to hear the Dinan, so I definitely appreciate that aspect of your video, too. Looking forward to the pics, as I think Dinan is the way I want to go. All of the others, which sound great, are not really the sound I want on my 550 (I have another baby for that).
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks Dunderhi & 650miles!

Attached are some pics of the exhaust & rear. It looks much better than the stock exhaust in my opinion.

Regarding some queries I have received on the exhaust, I would like to provide a few comments.

The Dinan exhaust is not a boy-racer type exhaust and is not too loud at any time. It is perfect for this type of a car. Ofcourse at low rpms it is much louder than stock ( stock is practically full silence )

You can hear it the moment you step on the throttle even lightly reminding you of the big v8 you are driving. The best sound I like is when it is going from 2k-3k rpm, just dont mind to keep listening to it. After 4k rpm is a monsterous note ( but for some reason unable to catch that on camera - in-person is way cool )

If I get tired of the exhaust note I just push the center stick to the right ( non-sport tranny mode ) and just cruise around. I just love the rumble it gives when cruising at say 50 in non-sport mode. start-up and idle also has a good rumble.

But one thing I will say is when I first got the exhaust the first thing that came to my mind is that it felt as too loud and wanted to return it..... but waited patiently for 3k miles and after break-in it is perfect now. Not sure why it takes that long. Now I dont know if there has been a major change in the way the exhaust sounds or it is just me that got used to it, but I think it got a bit refined...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DinanExhaust1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	371728   Click image for larger version

Name:	DinanExhaust2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	371729  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post

Attached are some pics of the exhaust & rear. It looks much better than the stock exhaust in my opinion.

Regarding some queries I have received on the exhaust, I would like to provide a few comments.

The Dinan exhaust is not a boy-racer type exhaust and is not too loud at any time. It is perfect for this type of a car. O fcourse at low rpms it is much louder than stock ( stock is practically full silence )

You can hear it the moment you step on the throttle even lightly reminding you of the big v8 you are driving. The best sound I like is when it is going from 2k-3k rpm, just dont mind to keep listening to it. After 4k rpm is a monsterous note ( but for some reason unable to catch that on camera - in-person is way cool )

If I get tired of the exhaust note I just push the center stick to the right ( non-sport tranny mode ) and just cruise around. I just love the rumble it gives when cruising at say 50 in non-sport mode. start-up and idle also has a good rumble.

But one thing I will say is when I first got the exhaust the first thing that came to my mind is that it felt as too loud and wanted to return it..... but waited patiently for 3k miles and after break-in it is perfect now. Not sure why it takes that long. Now I dont know if there has been a major change in the way the exhaust sounds or it is just me that got used to it, but I think it got a bit refined...
Congrats, I absolutely agree with everything you mentioned, your scenario is spot on for the E60 as well. The Dinan exhaust is truly a perfect addition; it really changes the overall impression of the car for the driver.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks.

When cruising on highway there is practically no drone ( some minor hum probably ) but you could switch to sport and it disappears. This hum only comes at a steady speed of 80. Alternate to switching to sport is increase to speed to say 82mph and it disappears.

Maybe I am picky but at some speeds or combinations it sounds a bit bassy ( for ex. in Sport mode at speeds of around 40 when cruising ), but I switch the stick to non-sport mode if it ever gets to that. Just love this setup when cruising at lower speeds as you hear the fine rumble. So basically I learnt to get the best settings to enjoy my dinan exhaust.

Overall, well worth it!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Adding a couple more videos. Please provide your comments.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
nice work. in the first video, it looks like ARS is doing its job when you go around the bends. the chassis is so flat and balanced.

2011 DGM 550i Sport | Dinan Springs | OEM M5 20" Rims | 25% 3M Tint | JB Stage 1 Beta | OEM M5 Full Exhaust w/ Vibrant Resonators | M5 Rear bumper with reflector delete | M-Sport Front Bumper | Hamann Lip
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Adding a couple more videos. Please provide your comments.
SOLD!!! Sounds awesome!! Getting one as soon as the refund comes in! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthankzbye View Post
nice work. in the first video, it looks like ARS is doing its job when you go around the bends. the chassis is so flat and balanced.
Thanks. I am glad I got the ARS, but it should be a lot more fun with the shockware which I might go for soon
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650miles View Post
SOLD!!! Sounds awesome!! Getting one as soon as the refund comes in! Thanks for sharing!
Mission accomplished!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 AM

Hey Sam-F10, do you mind posting a pic (smartphone pic is fine by me) of a direct side profile of your exhaust? Basically, I want to see how badly the tips stick out from the diffuser.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Very nice!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Silverstone F80 M3

Mein Auto: '15 F80 M3
Quote:

The Dinan exhaust is not a boy-racer type exhaust and is not too loud at any time. It is perfect for this type of a car. Ofcourse at low rpms it is much louder than stock ( stock is practically full silence )

Great post!

I have to say, if anything my Dinan exhaust got a bit louder with age....not deeper, mind you...but a bit more throaty. I love it.

The stage 3 power and sound is amazing...and adding the ACS springs (went with them over Dinan purely for the 1 inch drop as opposed to the less than 1/2 inch drop with Dinan)...the car is just perfect now.

Enjoy!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM
That Guy w/ the Modded GT

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT DINAN Stg 3
Quote:
Finally, here it is. ... The end of the video has some clips from the cockpit but my fav is the view from the wheel.

One important thing is to watch this video in 1080p HIGH DEF resolution otherwise you will not hear much of the exhaust. May also help use good headsets.
Sounds Amazing! What is this AutoX event? Since you are from NJ I want to know about it. Where and when? PM me or quote me. Thanks!!

BMW 550i GT DINAN Stage 2 w/ Many Mods... Faster than you think.
Hear it here...
And see more photos of it here...

Like my GT? I'm selling it... Click here

CCA Member: 477510
Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Hey Sam-F10, do you mind posting a pic (smartphone pic is fine by me) of a direct side profile of your exhaust? Basically, I want to see how badly the tips stick out from the diffuser.
Apologies for the delay, dealing with a work crisis.

I will snap a pic later today and post. It is not protruding much at all, but I had to really stay on top of the dealer to ensure they installed it such that not much protrusion. I think it is up to the installer to configure this a little bit.

I have seen some pics with a lot of protrusion hence I was keen on ensuring it did not happen in my case.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Town550i View Post
Great post!

I have to say, if anything my Dinan exhaust got a bit louder with age....not deeper, mind you...but a bit more throaty. I love it.

The stage 3 power and sound is amazing...and adding the ACS springs (went with them over Dinan purely for the 1 inch drop as opposed to the less than 1/2 inch drop with Dinan)...the car is just perfect now.

Enjoy!
Thanks. I may as well make a decision on springs and/or shockware soon....
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
Sounds Amazing! What is this AutoX event? Since you are from NJ I want to know about it. Where and when? PM me or quote me. Thanks!!
Below is a link to the event I attended. They have many other dates coming up. in fact there is one this sunday but I may not be able to go. I will be going for the May 25th one.

They also have instructors who can ride with you till you are comfortable and you can go slow as well till you get to know the track. Worst case a few hit cones...

You will be amazed at how much you can push your car!

http://motorsportsne.com/
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
It is not protruding much at all, but I had to really stay on top of the dealer to ensure they installed it such that not much protrusion. I think it is up to the installer to configure this a little bit.

I have seen some pics with a lot of protrusion hence I was keen on ensuring it did not happen in my case.
That's great info that it can be adjusted some! I will keep that in mind when I get mine installed, because like you I have seen some that stick out way too far.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That's great info that it can be adjusted some! I will keep that in mind when I get mine installed, because like you I have seen some that stick out way too far.
here you go. it does not protrude at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinan-Exhaust.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	373089  
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Oh, Perfect! Thanks!