Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
For the degree to which I push the car, yes, I feel confident. No other changes in suspension other than non-RFT Michelin PSS. I think it takes corners beautifully and with the right tires, it grips very well. If you're driving very aggressively, I can't say. Some have complained about oversteer, but again, it depends on how hard you drive. If you think your driving style will be an issue with the Z4, get a Boxster. But you won't look half as good!
My salesman gave me the keys and said "See you later", BTW.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package

Last edited by jparnes1; 06-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Does Z4 get a bad rap on Handling?

My salesman did the same. Go for a drive for as long as I want! I made sure I loved it before I bought it!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I find myself in the exact situation as Rob Mc. I, too, am considering the E89 Z4 as it is such a good looking roadster, but every, I mean EVERY road test I've read complains about the handling. I currently have a 335i coupe, and it is a blast to drive. Love the drive train and would choose the sdrive 35i to get the same engine and a manual trans. But I'm not keen on giving up handling to get this car. Dinan does not offer suspension mods for it. Turner Motorsport does, and someone there recommended this upgrade for me as it won't be a track car, but will improve handling w/out a big sacrifice in ride comfort.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...variant-1.aspx

Has anyone here gone w/ a suspension upgrade on their E89 Z4? What was the result?
I am very happy with the adaptive suspension and personally see no reason to go aftermarket - I am not tracking the car. Occasionally an Autocross. The factory RFT's are no joy - to put it bluntly - they suck. Too hard a compond in frt and too stiff all around = massive understeer even if you don't push it hard. That is why the reviews are not good on the handling. Change the tires to some premium high performance non run flat tire and the understeer is almost non existant. I and many other are running some size variation of Michelin PSS. I went up in profile and width for better ride and grip. A world of difference. BMW did themselfs a big disservice by letting journalists drive the car with stock tires.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O

Last edited by HerrK; 06-14-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: Lexi
HerrK,

How would you think a set of decent quality all-season tires would compare to both the RFTs and the Michelin PSSs? I'm thinking Continental ExtremeContact DWS in stock sizes on 18" wheels. They're rated for lots of miles, and they were great in all conditions on my Lexus cruiser. What do you think of them on a new 35i? Surely, these are what the Performance Center in Spartanburg run on their cars, no?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
HerrK,

How would you think a set of decent quality all-season tires would compare to both the RFTs and the Michelin PSSs? I'm thinking Continental ExtremeContact DWS in stock sizes on 18" wheels. They're rated for lots of miles, and they were great in all conditions on my Lexus cruiser. What do you think of them on a new 35i? Surely, these are what the Performance Center in Spartanburg run on their cars, no?
I have no experience with the DWS's, but they are rated at the top of the list per Tire Rack. If you were happy with their performance on your Lexus then that is a big plus. I have no idea what tires they run at the BMW Performance Center.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Re: Does Z4 get a bad rap on Handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
I have no experience with the DWS's, but they are rated at the top of the list per Tire Rack. If you were happy with their performance on your Lexus then that is a big plus. I have no idea what tires they run at the BMW Performance Center.
I've got the DWS on my 545 as well as on our Volvo XC70. Granted, neither of those calls for handling capability like a Z4 (though the 545 would surprise you) - but I have been completely satisfied with the tires' performance, handling, and longevity. My only complaint is that they aren't quite black - more like a very, very dark brown, and they don't look quite as immaculate when clean and shiny. Small niggle, though. Highly recommended.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
PDS runs Conti Sport Contact tires, at least they did when I was there in May.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Yup, 5Ps on the M5 that did the drift record last month. Wonder what they do in cold weather; Conti Sport Contacts are summer tires, aren't they?

Last edited by williakz; 06-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
My only complaint is that they [Conti DWS tires] aren't quite black - more like a very, very dark brown...
Hmm...my Z4 will have the dark brown seats. I wonder...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Does Z4 get a bad rap on Handling?

Conti DWS on my Z4. Love the handling and the ride.

Can go with DW if snow not a factor.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335iX drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
But this is a 4-cylinder turbo with more power and more torque than the inline six in my 2006 BMW X3. And it weighs less too! I've never found my X3 to be under powered, but I'm also not afraid to ring it out to red line in 2-3-4 when necessary.

I've driven a 335xi on the autobahn over ~2 weeks with a friend on European Delivery. It was amazing! But in the US, you'll never be able to use that kind of power unless you take it out on a track. So, you can get to 65mph in second gear... and then what? Seems more frustrating than fun given our low speed limits.

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (m-sport, manual, xenons, premium, pdc)
I have a 2013 335i X with Dinan download, Dinan suspension and Finan exhaust system and it's every bit as fast as my 2011 M3 and is great in the winter with snow tires!!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335iX drive
Wheels and tires

Get rid of the RFTs. I've got Enkei PF01s and Bridgestone Pole positions in 255/35-18 on my Bimmer and can't fault the handleing in any way!!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive 23i
I'd like to chime in. Got my Z4 sDrive 23i (Singapore - RHD) recently and had similar complaints as many: very harsh ride, slow turn-in.

Here's what I did in attempt to fix those issues.

Changed the stock Brigestone Rattle-flat tyres for Michelin PS3s. I have the 23i so my tyres are 225/45/R17 all-round. Immediate improvement in almost every aspect -- no crashing over bumps and other road imperfections, lesser road noise (to the extent that I now hear my diff whine, damn that's another problem I need to deal with), sharper steering and brake response and just so much grip around corners. I used to be able to put some wheelspin out of a U-turn that I make on the way to work daily but these Michelins wouldn't let me do it now.

Got an alignment done at a reputable shop. My rear cambers were -2.2deg (or less, i.e. more negative). Not sure if the previous owner ever got the car re-aligned though. The alignment shop said that was a little too much and reduced it to -2.0deg. My rear toe-in was also adjusted (they were way off). I also had the front toe-in reduced so it toes in just a tiny bit but unfortunately I lost the printout from the shop and cannot recall what the numbers were. I think the numbers for toe were 0.7 rear and 0.4 front on each side. The shop didn't recommend 0 toe up front b/c under load the wheels would deflect outwards making the car unstable under braking. (AFAIK the E89 has +ve scrub?) The bushings around the front suspension arms are soft and can deflect quite a bit.

One thing to note, my car was aligned with the roof DOWN, i.e. roof is in the boot and maybe half a tank of gas. No sandbags/weights or any of that.

Driving out of the alignment was awesome. I think that reduction in front toe-in made the nose much more responsive into a turn. My Z also used to skip over road imperfections when making a turn and does it much lesser now. Now my Z drives like it should!

Also as per advise from alignment shop I now run slighly lower pressures in the rear (38-39psi vs stock=41-42psi) and slightly higher in the front (36-37psi vs stock=34-35psi). This made the ride much more comfortable and turning a little bit sharper.

I've heard that running lower pressures in the rear might cause premature tyre wear if the car is being driven top-down often, so do adapt for your use case. It rains a lot here so the top is down maybe only 20% of the time.

I might remove the strut pins to get a little bit more negative camber up front, but maybe not now. I'll wait until I bring the car up to the track.

Have a merry x'mas everyone!

Last edited by detach8; 12-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Re: Does Z4 get a bad rap on Handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I swapped out my RFT's for regular tires at delivery. No new rims needed. Just bring the tires you want in advance and they'll do it for you. Didnt' even charge me. Then post your RFT's in the classifieds and sell 'em!
+1, I advertised my RFTs before I took delivery and sold them to a guy who needed tires for his 335i at lease turn in. He met me at the dealer at delivery and I had Tire Rack ship my new tires to the dealer. RFTs were removed from my car and installed on the 335i. Dealer installed my new tires. Both left the dealer happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
(Road Trip Car)

2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)