Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Exclamation Best Wax

I have a new 2014 X1 in white, can anyone suggest a paste wax? I was thinking of the special wax for a white vehicle, I see a new white wax.
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1 Series
Swissvax

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
Me telling you which wax is best is like you telling me which beer is best.

But I have been using Turtle Wax ICE on my X1.

The best part is little to no white reside and NO staining or similar on black plastic or rubber parts.

YMMV

Von_W
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPhil View Post
I have a new 2014 X1 in white, can anyone suggest a paste wax? I was thinking of the special wax for a white vehicle, I see a new white wax.
Sorry for throwing in an Aust. product but at least the following comments might help.
I use a product called Bowdens own. They make their own cleaning products. Sell/distribute to Automotive outlets and use them on their extensive collection of Sports, Muscle and Racing Cars. So they know what they are talking about.
Their Auto Body Wax has UV Protectants - No Abrasive or Harmful Silicones - Nourishing Oils to help prevent Oxidation - is Safe on Chrome and leaves no white powder residue on most plastics and rubber.
Like Von W said, its up to you. His Turtle Wax ICE sounds OK.
Would like to comment on the before wax - WASHING.
I had XT Forester with Chrome Wheels and used product that supposed to be Phosphate Free, in other words No Acid. Over a period of time the chrome started to show marks, pitting etc. and discovered the product had traces of Phosphate/Acid that were not mentioned.
Much checking and comments later it was established that most of the products used to wash your car are not good for your wheels, especially chrome.
I use (sorry again) Bowdens Auto Body Gel for washing because it has the following things people should look out for when choosing cleaning products.
It Has - Rust Inhibiting Agents - UV Protectants - Phosphate Free, No Acids - Salt Free - pH Neutral - Biodegradable and can use to Clean Wheels.
Not trying to promote a particular product. Only trying to share the trouble you have to go through to look after/protect your car.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von_W View Post
Me telling you which wax is best is like you telling me which beer is best.

But I have been using Turtle Wax ICE on my X1.

The best part is little to no white reside and NO staining or similar on black plastic or rubber parts.

YMMV

Von_W
I think there may be a little merrit to discussing which beer is best along with the Wax!

Firstly it depends if I am I doors or out. I have the luxury of using g an indoor workshop off hours at my work so no beer consumed and a paste canuba wax and mechanical polisher is used. If I am at home, then a half dozen good pilsners in the shade and something like the liquid spray and wipe wax works for the times in between......
Old 04-16-2014, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
Running back to Saskatoon.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoxey View Post
I think there may be a little merrit to discussing which beer is best along with the Wax!

Firstly it depends if I am I doors or out. I have the luxury of using g an indoor workshop off hours at my work so no beer consumed and a paste canuba wax and mechanical polisher is used. If I am at home, then a half dozen good pilsners in the shade and something like the liquid spray and wipe wax works for the times in between......
Okay, I'm in.

+1 on the cold pilsners, but I'm a sucker for a tall Europeen beer just under room temperature.

I really like products from AutoGlym. They are expensive so try to get them when on sale.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive, X1 28ixDrive
I've had great luck with Zaino products. Especially since I am chicken to use a powered polisher and do it all by hand.

I prefer Stiegel, Spaten or a St. Pauli girl pilsner to help me with my work.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
New Age Polymers

There have been many advancements in car wax technology over the past few years. I find those waxes with a polymer base the easiest to apply and remove. I question their longevity, however, when compared to traditional waxes. My favorite remains Griot's Best In Show. Apply with RAO buffer and remove by hand. Never a swirl on two black cars.

As for beer, I prefer Pacifico to back up a fine sipping tequila. I suggest this AFTER waxing your car. Otherwise, it may take a week to accomplish.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
I personally like Liquid Souverän applied with a Porter Cable 7424, but that's just me.

OK now on to the important stuff - Chimay Blue. However, do not drink too much Chimay before applying the wax or you may burn a hole through your hood.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
the best wax is the one that can remove your body hair
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: MINI JCW Cabrio
I use Griots Garage and some Zaino on my cars. In addition I find that Anderson Valley Summer Solstice really helps when it's warm outside. If it is a bit cooler a Fat Tire really helps the motivation!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Been using Wolfgang for past couple of years. Prefer it over Zaino. Only, it's a sealant, not a wax. As far as brews are concerned...
Trappist Rochefort 8 or 10, Abt 12, or Karmeliet...among many other awesome Tripels from Belgium

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
3M quick spray wax detailer acts like old school wax with very fine white dust you rub off, and seems to last.

Turtle wax ICE detailer stays clear, can be sprayed on any plastic inside or out, and is the easiest.