Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 AM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
U-Haul hitch with Superbumper

Hi guys, I recently had my hitch installed at U-Haul and got a Superbumper because I'm a little traumatized getting rear-ended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410019786.409738.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	462817Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410019798.268126.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	462818Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410019805.058296.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	462819Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410019813.867290.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	462820Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410019821.724011.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	462821Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410019829.290270.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	462822
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 AM
fw_fw fw_fw is offline
BMW: Freude am Fahren
Location: Helena, AL
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
To each his own, but I don't get it. If you are going to get rear-ended then the trailer hitch mount and its attachment points are NOT engineered to absorb an impact like the rear bumper can. Additionally looking at this "Superbumper" I can visualize someone hitting it and their trajectory then moving upward, doing more damage up high away from the bumper on the rear door and possible even the passenger compartment.

Plus it looks like crap....
__________________

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport Mineral Grey over Nevada Black Ultimate HK (present)
2011 BMW 328i M-Sport Alpine White over Nevada Black (gone)
1999 BMW M Roadster Estoril over Estoril (gone)
Others: 4 Mazdas, 7 VWs, 7 Hondas, 1 Acura, 2 Toyotas, 1 Hyundai, 4 Nissans, 1 Eagle, 1 Jeep, 1 Mitsubishi, 2 GMCs, 2 Chevrolets, 1 Merkur
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 AM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
I know it's big and looks like crap but I need something to protect my rear-end. I'd be happy with any suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM
jdoxey jdoxey is online now
Registered User
Location: saskatoon
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
Not sure about rear protection, but it looks like it would be handy as a step for loading a roof boxe or getting the canoe up there
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 AM
fw_fw fw_fw is offline
BMW: Freude am Fahren
Location: Helena, AL
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
If you got the hitch because you are actually going to tow something, then that Superbumper is arguably better absorbing a low speed impact than having just the hitch itself sticking out.

If you got the hitch just to install the Superbumper for protection purposes than I would uninstall them both, relying on the BMW engineers in how they designed the bumper for rear impacts and my insurance company to fix it if I ever do get hit.
__________________

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport Mineral Grey over Nevada Black Ultimate HK (present)
2011 BMW 328i M-Sport Alpine White over Nevada Black (gone)
1999 BMW M Roadster Estoril over Estoril (gone)
Others: 4 Mazdas, 7 VWs, 7 Hondas, 1 Acura, 2 Toyotas, 1 Hyundai, 4 Nissans, 1 Eagle, 1 Jeep, 1 Mitsubishi, 2 GMCs, 2 Chevrolets, 1 Merkur
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
Well, I thought it would be a good product for safety as advertised.

http://sparebumper.com/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,564
Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Better solution when the hitch is not being used: install a brake light that lights up when the brakes are pressed - that extra lighting may help prevent someone from rear ending you....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 AM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
And I wanted to get this simple bike rack.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 AM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
If you got the hitch because you are actually going to tow something, then that Superbumper is arguably better absorbing a low speed impact than having just the hitch itself sticking out.

If you got the hitch just to install the Superbumper for protection purposes than I would uninstall them both, relying on the BMW engineers in how they designed the bumper for rear impacts and my insurance company to fix it if I ever do get hit.

I needed the hitch for my bike and snowboard and I've asked the dealership about it and said to get aftermarket and have it installed somewhere else. U-Haul was my best bet since it's a big company and offered lifetime warranty on the hitch.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2014, 02:23 PM
fw_fw fw_fw is offline
BMW: Freude am Fahren
Location: Helena, AL
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayene View Post
I needed the hitch for my bike and snowboard and I've asked the dealership about it and said to get aftermarket and have it installed somewhere else. U-Haul was my best bet since it's a big company and offered lifetime warranty on the hitch.
Well in that case the Superbumper serves a purpose, as getting rear ended on the hitch alone would definitely increase the chances of injury. It just ain't the best looking thing to look at.....
__________________

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport Mineral Grey over Nevada Black Ultimate HK (present)
2011 BMW 328i M-Sport Alpine White over Nevada Black (gone)
1999 BMW M Roadster Estoril over Estoril (gone)
Others: 4 Mazdas, 7 VWs, 7 Hondas, 1 Acura, 2 Toyotas, 1 Hyundai, 4 Nissans, 1 Eagle, 1 Jeep, 1 Mitsubishi, 2 GMCs, 2 Chevrolets, 1 Merkur
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 PM
gcrofton gcrofton is offline
taxpro
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: BMW 540iA and X1 xDrive35
This looks like an interesting option to use with a hitch based bike carrier and to haul a trailer.

dayene, can you share which hitch you bought, how much it cost with installation, and do you know what the class the towing capacity are?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrofton View Post
This looks like an interesting option to use with a hitch based bike carrier and to haul a trailer.

dayene, can you share which hitch you bought, how much it cost with installation, and do you know what the class the towing capacity are?

I just went to their website and set everything up there. The hitch was $174, installation was $60. I didn't get the wiring option which was another $60 I think. An additional $5 for their lifetime warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
dayene dayene is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mein Auto:
And it's a class III.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 PM
themishmosh themishmosh is offline
Registered User
Location: NEOhio
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayene View Post
I just went to their website and set everything up there. The hitch was $174, installation was $60. I didn't get the wiring option which was another $60 I think. An additional $5 for their lifetime warranty.
That's a decent price. I got the Curt hitch. I think it was $130 or so. The install took about an hour and a half of my time.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 PM
KingJimmyB's Avatar
KingJimmyB KingJimmyB is offline
@KingJimmyB
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 174
Mein Auto: BMWs!
Wtf. Please sell your BMW!! Who does that!! Sorrynotsorry
__________________
-2015 X5 35d xDrive
-2014 X1 28 xDrive
-2013 328i (gone)
-2011 535i (sold for X5)
-2008 X5 4.8i (ehhhh buy back)
-2006 325i (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 PM
KingJimmyB's Avatar
KingJimmyB KingJimmyB is offline
@KingJimmyB
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 174
Mein Auto: BMWs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
To each his own, but I don't get it. If you are going to get rear-ended then the trailer hitch mount and its attachment points are NOT engineered to absorb an impact like the rear bumper can. Additionally looking at this "Superbumper" I can visualize someone hitting it and their trajectory then moving upward, doing more damage up high away from the bumper on the rear door and possible even the passenger compartment.

Plus it looks like crap....

+1million
__________________
-2015 X5 35d xDrive
-2014 X1 28 xDrive
-2013 328i (gone)
-2011 535i (sold for X5)
-2008 X5 4.8i (ehhhh buy back)
-2006 325i (retired)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms