Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750i 2006 330ci
3 Year Ownership Reliability Review

I bought my 09 750 three years ago. It was a CPO with 15K miles on it. Today, it has 50K miles, and 2 years of CPO warranty left.

Here's the ownership experience:

The Good
======

Incredible drive quality. As one would expect, it is a pleasure to drive this flagship. Coming from a 3 and a 5, this is a different class of automobile.

The Bad
======

Tires: I replaced the stock Pirelly RFTs with a new set of Pirelli RFTs at 21K miles. They lasted exactly 14K miles. Replaced them with Continental DWS at 35K miles. The rear tires are approaching the low tread limit in just 15K miles! This car eats tires. Or is it the Arizona roads? Discount Tire will pro-rate the treadwear for replacement. Interestingly, the DW version has no mileage warranty, but the DWS has.

Battery: Three battery changes under warranty. All kind of "chicken" and bull stories about how the battery died. They did replace all 3 under warranty.They do not cover battery under CPO, so I am apprehensive.

The Ugly
=====

Drivetrain Malfunction: 3 instances in 4 months. Car was at dealer for a week. They replaced all injectors. I drove the car back. The garage was smelling of fuel. Opened the hood, and found the fuel line was leaking.

Had the car towed to the dealer. It seems, the fuel line connector just snaps on, without any clamp. Bad design, in my opinion. Check your fuel connector. It is just next to the driver side shock mount.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Mechanic's Opinion
============

Got a chance to talk to the mechanic who fixed this car. He said he sees a lot of Drivetrain Malfunction failures. He also said that all the hoses, snugly fitted in the V space between cylinders, will crack and need replacement. The engine runs hot due to this space saving design. That's the reason why the fan runs for 15 minutes after you shut the car off.

As many have said, this is not a car for the long run. Own it under warranty, and watch it go for a song later due to the high maintenance costs.

The Verdict:
========

No amount of drive quality is worth the constant quality issues. I am saying goodbye to the BMW brand.
The most reliable car I ever had was a Lexus LS. That is where I am headed now.

Last edited by azbimmer; 04-15-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: More info
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
I bought my 09 750 three years ago. It was a CPO with 15K miles on it. Today, it has 50K miles, and 2 years of CPO warranty left.

The Good
======

Incredible drive quality. As one would expect, it is a pleasure to drive this flagship. Coming from a 3 and a 5, this is a different class of automobile.

The Bad
======

Tires: I replaced the stock Pirelly RFTs with a new set of Pirelli RFTs at 21K miles. They lasted exactly 14K miles. Replaced them with Continental DWS at 35K miles. The rear tires are approaching the low tread limit in just 15K miles! This car eats tires. Or is it the Arizona roads? Discount Tire will pro-rate the treadwear for replacement. Interestingly, the DW version has no mileage waranty, but the DWS has.

Battery: Three battery changes under warranty. All kind of **** and bull stories about how the battery died. They do not cover battery under CPO, so I am apprehensive.

The Ugly
=====

Transmission Malfunction: 3 instances in 4 months. Car was at dealer for a week. They replaced all injectors. I drove the car back. The garage was smelling of fuel. Opened the hood, and found the fuel line was leaking.

Had the car towed to the dealer. It seems, the fuel line connector just snaps on, without any clamp. Bad design, in my opinion. Check your fuel connector. It is just next to the driver side shock mount.

Even though this is a BMW forum, I will admit that a Lexus is much more reliable than a BMW. I have a 2004 Lexus GX470 that was purchased brand new back then and 78,000 miles later, no issues at all. However, they are not as fun to drive like a BMW.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Booooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I keed.

There will always be a few bad apples in the bunch is what I've learned. That's with ANY brand.

Good luck my man.

~ Big Marcus
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
Your posts were valuable, important to hear the good with the bad. If I had/have your problems, I probably would be gone to Lexus too. A lowered LS460L with rims is not a bad way to go.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750 2012
Quote:

No amount of drive quality is worth the constant quality issues. I am saying goodbye to the BMW brand.
I was supposed to get a Lexus too. I really really like it, and have had excellent experience with a number of Lexus models. But I was shocked at how arrogant Lexus dealers around here have become. BMW offered me a lot better deal: 20k more for the trade-in vehicle and 27k more in the discount from the MSRP. The Lexus would not even care to listen.
Diamond DA40 XLS 2012

Past vehicles: BMW E38 740 1999, BMW E92 M3, Audi RS4 2007, Audi A8 2005, Mercedes S500 2001, Lexus LS400 1996, Lexus LS430 2003, Lexus SC400 1996, Acura NSX 1995, Toyota MR2 Turbo 1992, Honda S2000 2004, and just too many more to list
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:

The Good
======

The Bad
======

Tires: I replaced the stock Pirelly RFTs with a new set of Pirelli RFTs at 21K miles. They lasted exactly 14K miles. Replaced them with Continental DWS at 35K miles. The rear tires are approaching the low tread limit in just 15K miles! This car eats tires. Or is it the Arizona roads? Discount Tire will pro-rate the treadwear for replacement. Interestingly, the DW version has no mileage warranty, but the DWS has.

That's good to know! I'm glad I got my Conti DWS' but this reinforces my decision over the summer DW tires. I've had nothing but good experiences with Americas tire/Discount tire. 15k miles is a bit disappointing from all terrain tires though.

Battery: Three battery changes under warranty. All kind of "chicken" and bull stories about how the battery died. They did replace all 3 under warranty.They do not cover battery under CPO, so I am apprehensive.

The Ugly
=====

Drivetrain Malfunction: 3 instances in 4 months. Car was at dealer for a week. They replaced all injectors. I drove the car back. The garage was smelling of fuel. Opened the hood, and found the fuel line was leaking.

Mechanic's Opinion
============

Got a chance to talk to the mechanic who fixed this car. He said he sees a lot of Drivetrain Malfunction failures. He also said that all the hoses, snugly fitted in the V space between cylinders, will crack and need replacement. The engine runs hot due to this space saving design. That's the reason why the fan runs for 15 minutes after you shut the car off.

As many have said, this is not a car for the long run. Own it under warranty, and watch it go for a song later due to the high maintenance costs.

The Verdict:
========

Sorry to see you had gotten soured away. I went through my own issues I shared with all of you, and I still got another one. My 2012 was a pos lemon from 700 miles on, my 2013 has 2500 miles already and been perfect thus so far(knock on wood). It's also running about 30F cooler than my previous.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Sorry to hear your pain. Between 2004 and 2012 we have had FOURTEEN new BMWs. I would easily say 10/14 had many, many problems. For some reason, I still go back to BMW again & again! It is the brake feel, the handling, steering, engine sound, transmission, iDrive (I love it honestly). But I've had 2 Lexus suvs, and they were 100% flawless. I mean literally 100% perfect and 100% boring!!! That being said, I understand how comforting and great it is, to have a trouble free car. Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
My experience was the other way around. In 2010 I leased a 750i after having a bad experience with a 2007 Lexus LS460. The Lexus LS had all kinds of issues. Particularly the well known wind noise due to bad design that Lexus kept denying, yet fixing and repurchasing cars were laws were tough (such as Florida). The Lexus had 2 recalls, a few repairs and the most arrogant dealer and corporate experience.

The 2010 BMW 750i was very reliable. Only issue was a bad sound amplifier, promptly repaired (dealer picked up the car, dropped off a loaner, and returned my car within a couple of days). I don't drive a lot, returned the car with about 17,000 miles, but the original tires (I think Pirellis) were fine and no issues upon return. BMW credited me back a few hundred dollars due to low mileage (something Lexus never did).

That said, the most perfect car I have owned was a 2004 Lexus LS - but that was then, and never as much fun to drive as the 750.

When the lease was up on the 2010 BMW 750i, I leased a 2013 BMW 750i - this time with added options such as Bang & Olufsen, Heads Up, Top View, Sport Package, LEDs - so far it has been trouble free (on my 5th month).

Both brands are at the top of luxury. Both can have cars that have issues. I just found out that lately the dealer and manufacturer experience of BMW far surpasses my experience with Lexus and I like the car better. I leased Lexi for years before BMW and slowly the dealer experience deteriorated and their arrogance increased. So I left the brand - for now-.