Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 wagon (silver 528)
Question defrost blows hot

I am getting too hot in my car, a 2000 528iT. I am aware of the function of the control between the air vents and even when turned down to three blue dots i get HOT air out of the defrost vents. I had left the defrost on when heating up the car this morning (we just got 17in of snow!) and when i got in to drive it i couldn't get hot air to stop melting my face without turning the fan all the way down, then off. This problem persists if the car is on auto or manual settings with defrost on or off.

What gives? I saw no other reference to this issue in the e39 forum.

thanks for your feedback!

ALSO: i want to note what i think is a subtle design feature of the e39: namely the slope and sheerness of the hood allows even large amounts of snow to slip off the front of the car once the engine heats up a bit. I wish the roof antenna (on the wagon) would retract so that the snow/ice would slip off the back of the car as well.
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
the three dots control only air coming from the vents in the dash. The defroster temp is controlled apart from these vents and the setting on the wheel. It uses temp settings on climate control panel. You can press both defroster button & dash button to get air in both places. Defrost will be hot, dash button temp controlled by the wheel in center vent 3 red to 3 blue dots
Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
When "Defrost" is selected, full heat will be applied to the windscreen. Deselect Defrost, and then select the desired air delivery ducts.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagodonuts68 View Post
... I had left the defrost on when heating up the car this morning (we just got 17in of snow!) and when i got in to drive it i couldn't get hot air to stop melting my face without turning the fan all the way down, then off. ...
Just for clarification...what are you referring to as "turning on your DEFROST"?

Many owners confuse the RAPID DEFROST/DE-ICE button with their defrost button.

The top button of the three on the left of the IHKA is your defrost button that allows you to regulate air temp and fan speed velocity. If you are selecting the RAPID DEFROST button...that is a pre-programmed button that only blows HOT air at full fan speed (all the time/every time).

Again, just need clarification so as not to assume operator error.

(below is an IHKA from the E38...it has a few redundant controls for passenger side...but otherwise the button icons & operation are the same for the e38/e39/e53)

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

I get heat coming out of the defrost vents regardless of what button it on. i've owned the car for 5-6 years and haven't had any climate control issues (except when i was a bit low on coolant). I am aware of the function of the buttons (and particularly appreciate the control between the air vents...its really all i use when i'm feeling a bit chilled or warm). My complaint is that now hot air continues to come out of the defrost (at a rate matching fan speed) even when the defrost buttons are off and the auto mode is on [ with or w/o AC] or i have, for example, the feet vents on and the centercontrol on full cold--or three blue dots and/or I have the driver and passenger temps set low, like 65 degrees or so. I still feel heat on my face and am getting way to warm. Usually, once the car wams up (or AC cools the cabin off) i feel just right, temp wise. Now i am hot in the car from air coming out of the defrost vents, that i cannont seem to turn off (unless i turn the fan off but then i get no air). This will cook me in the summer.

This happened just the other day on a short drive around town. It wasn't particularly cold out but cold (like 20-35 degrees). I haven't had it out since.

Last edited by bagodonuts68; 04-18-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: clarity/typos
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM

update: didn't blow hot today. odd fluke?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM

update. cooler weather here in ND and I was looking to get a bit of heat out of the car (AC worked fine all summer). nothing came out of the floor vents just air through the defrost vents. This is when the only button "on" in the climate control system was "auto"....front defrost is not on and turning it on and then off has no effect.

would this be fixed by doing the final stage ____ thing that I've read about or is that just for AC problems.

thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
is your ambient temp reading -40 degrees

Quote:
update. cooler weather here in ND and I was looking to get a bit of heat out of the car (AC worked fine all summer). nothing came out of the floor vents just air through the defrost vents. This is when the only button "on" in the climate control system was "auto"....front defrost is not on and turning it on and then off has no effect.

would this be fixed by doing the final stage ____ thing that I've read about or is that just for AC problems.

thanks
If so fix ambient temp sensor in front passenger side wheel well
Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM

ambient (outdoor?) temp is reading fine.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For more information on optimal setup of the A/C, typing /air conditioning F3 in the VERY best of E39 Links nets this, among many others:
- How to learn about (1) and set up your air conditioning (1) (2)
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
would this be fixed by doing the final stage ____ thing
For ambient temperature issues, type (/) ambient F3 in the VERY best of E39 Links and these will pop up for your edification:
- Outside ambient temperature sensor reads -40 on the cluster (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to calibrate the ambient temp sensor (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

For the FSU, typing /fsu F3 in the VERY best of E39 Links will show you how to test the system:
- How to troubleshoot a bad FSU final stage unit (1) and how to build a test jig for your FSR final stage resistor (1) & how to autopsy or repair solder cracks in your blower motor resistor (1) & how to replace your HVAC blower resistor (1) (E46) & what FSU is the right one to buy (1)
Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
time to replace seals in the heater control valves, it's not terribly expensive to replace it too