Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
P0014 After aligning double vanos

Hey guys,
I have a 02 325i that I just changed out the vanos for one from Dr. Vanos. In the process I broke some two of the hex bolts on the exhaust cam sprocket. I replaced that and followed the procedure to time the cams. I used the vanos timing tool to align the plungers and the car started like a charm. It restored power and the "service engine light" was gone. After 55 miles driven, the light came back on with P0014 exhaust over-advanced. The car now stalls every now and then. Oil pressure is running at .8 BAR at Idle at normal temp, and increases up to 4 BAR at around 3000 RPM. I see that some people corrected this issue with the cam sensor but I checked voltage and read 4.99v and it fluctuated as metal was passed through the magnet using a wrench. I figure the sensors are good and oil pressure is good. Any Ideas what is causing this?
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Please clarify which bolts you broke. The VANOS on the M54 is replaced independent of any cam timing.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
brocken bolts

sorry guys, I've been out of town for the last 2 weeks. Let me clarify my last post of the broken bolts. When I removed the vanos, I also took off the exhaust camshaft bc there was a stripped bolt on the No. 1 cylinder cap. I tapped it and re installed the camshaft, along with a new cam sprocket because I stripped the inner threads on the original sprocket that hold the 3 hex studs.
I followed the TIS procedure to install the chain around the exhaust sprocket, careful to align the arrow to the top of the cylinder head. The only thing I did not use was the chain alignment tool for the secondary chain. Instead, I counted a total of 17 pins between the end of the cutouts of the sprockets, as described by CHILTON.
I finished the procedure by aligning the plungers with the vanos alignemtn tool bolted onto the head. Once that was done, I rotated the engine twice and landed No. 1 cylinder at TDC. The pin was in the flywheel and the cam blocks were flush on the head with just a little raised on the intake side.
THe car ran perfect for about 55 miles, now I have the P0014 and P0015 for over advanced and over-retarded exhaust camshaft timing.