Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3
I tested Lexus, Audi and MB and felt this was easily the best driving and well designed vehicle. The complexities of their technology is fantastic, but this creates reliability risks. You can't really use prior vehicles, with all the different safety, traction and electronic features this is no longer comparable.

Lexus and Acura might be more reliable, but never felt they were as advanced. The drive is not the same and the same with safety. I'm happy with the vehicle after a year, but cannot honestly believe the vehicle will be solid long-term .
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
Liverman and others have a good point in that these threads are skewed as there are frequent posts by folks with questions/concerns/problems. Ever go to the Apple support sites? You'd swear never to buy an Apple product! The real-life honesty and feedback that can be found here, however, is invaluable. (Thanks everyone! :-) )
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan
The run flat tires, in my opinion, is worth the extended warranty; these RFT tires are terrible: durability is half of the conventional tires; the cost is double; unsafe, because if you have a puncture, yes you can drive about 100 miles, but is very likely in those 100 miles you will not be able to find a service station that is having RFT; I asked Canadian Tire (the biggest tire store in Canada) and they do not have ANY run flat tires; what are you doing? sleeping in the dirty hotel? in the car?; they are damaging the environment, because after the first puncture you have to dispose of them, not like the conventional tire which you can repair!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
After having 6 different BMW's over the years starting with an '68 2002 (very unreliable) and progressing up through the ranks through various 3 series (average) to a 5 (average) and a 7 (money pit!) and now an X3 (great up to 50K miles then things went south) I find them no better or worse than any other car as far as reliability goes. Some cars I have had were outstanding ('98 Tahoe) others not so much (Alfa GTV6) in the reliablity department. I agree it is the luck of the draw in almost all cases. Obviously we are not talking Yugo's here -- but even the much lambasted Land Rover/RR comes up with a good one every now and then. The main thing is to get the extended warranty after the OEM runs out. I didn't on my X3 and I regret it each time the CEL goes on!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
7 BMWs - lots of miles - smooth sailing

Both the X3 35i (2K miles) and my M3 (20K miles) are flawless.

BMW extended warranties are very expensive, I have found a better alternative from GEICO - to quote Geico....

"GEICO's MBI coverage:

Covers repairs to all mechanical parts like your engine, cooling and electrical, transmission, brakes, and air conditioning.
Saves you money by charging only a small premium each policy period, instead of a large lump-sum payment up front.
Allows you to have your car repaired wherever you like. With a dealer warranty, you are often required to use their location, even if you are unhappy with the service.
MBI is only available for new or leased vehicles that are less than 15 months old and have less than 15,000 miles. This coverage also carries a $250 deductible*."

Bumper to bumper coverage - effective coverage - 7 years/100,000 miles commencing from purchase date of car. "

Cost varies - my cost $78 a year and I exercised the option on my M3 just before its first year anniversary.

Obvious catch - you have to initiate coverage while your car is still under the BMW warranty - still not a bad hedge if you think you might keep your BMW beyond four years - BMW's very expensive extended warranty is definitely an eye popper and a deterrent to keeping the car. GEICO is counting on me getting bored and trading the car - which is what I have always done in the past - but maybe not this time.....I may keep my M3 a long time.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
That GEICO warranty sounds too good to be true.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
yep - catch - you have to start the plan before your car reaches 15K miles within first year after purchase. My M3 is now covered by both GEICO and BMW, but so what - at the end of the BMW warranty, I will still have 3 years and up to 100K miles coverage from GEICO. Eye popper - check the cost of an extended warranty on an M3 from BMW. I think BMW prices their extended warranties as a deterrent to purchasing your car after the lease ends. GEICO will cost me over the next 6 years - app $468 in premiums + $250 deductible per actual claims. The engine in my M3 is $20K - DCT - maybe $15K (I'm not sure but we both know it's a bunch!).
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
So. Is geico worth it and will they cover all the electronics??
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
So. Is geico worth it and will they cover all the electronics??
yep - bumper to bumper - call them
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Have anyone actually try to make a claim with the geico warranty? Thats where the rubber meets the road I guess.
I have a few friends who had geico auto accident claims and they are not too happy with their low ball tactics and the use of aftermarket parts.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't
Quote:
Have anyone actually try to make a claim with the geico warranty? Thats where the rubber meets the road I guess.
I have a few friends who had geico auto accident claims and they are not too happy with their low ball tactics and the use of aftermarket parts.
Probably drifting off thread but I was rear ended in my old X3 and my Geico policy handled everything with the claim from getting it repaired at the BMW shop of my choice to recovering my deductible. YMMV but they really did a good job.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
A while back, I had an engine replaced in my e39 touring - they did it to my satisfaction....

Last month, I had a $3 K claim after hitting a pothole (sinkhole) in my M3 - perfect job - in fact , Geico claims adjuster called and pointed out some additional thngs that he should do on the car. I've had them for 10 years and I have no complaints. However, I'm sure, there are others who can relate horror stories.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
My 2011 x3 with 22000 miles has been reliable. Hesitation issues were fixed with program updates. No mechanical repairs to date. Nothing drives like a BMW. Look forward to driving it every day. This is my 7th BMW.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I have found BMWs to be extremely reliable.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I have found BMWs to be extremely reliable.
From the looks of your siggy, you dont keep them long enough to have problems! lol
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
For the last 7 years I have purchased used 325xi sedans for my wife. They have been at least 3-4 years old with 40-50k on them. She drives them up to around 120000 k and then we trade them in. We have had very good luck with them, normal maintenance and each one had to have new brakes and battery but nothing major. The last one had thermostat go out at 115000k. Just purchased a 2010 328xi with 36000k on it for her, this is the first one that I have owned that actually has some warranty on it.

I was very apprehensive when I first started owning these cars because of the high repair costs, but so far they have been good to me. I just purchased a used 2008 528xi for myself with 48000k on it and almost a year of warranty left. I have to admit that this forum is very helpful and a great source of information, but it also gets me nervous reading a lot of the horror story's about bad reliability. I just hope my good luck continues with these vehicles because my wife will not drive anything else and I am in love with driving mine.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
To add to my post above I would like to hear from others who have more experience with these vehicles than me. Have I just been lucky or are these cars pretty reliable? I have also heard that the more base models like I have are more reliable is this true?

Last edited by mull6; 06-06-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: double post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
yep - catch - you have to start the plan before your car reaches 15K miles within first year after purchase. My M3 is now covered by both GEICO and BMW, but so what - at the end of the BMW warranty, I will still have 3 years and up to 100K miles coverage from GEICO. Eye popper - check the cost of an extended warranty on an M3 from BMW. I think BMW prices their extended warranties as a deterrent to purchasing your car after the lease ends. GEICO will cost me over the next 6 years - app $468 in premiums + $250 deductible per actual claims. The engine in my M3 is $20K - DCT - maybe $15K (I'm not sure but we both know it's a bunch!).
Are you required to have Geico auto insurance before they will sell you the extended warranty plan?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I believe the Lexus RX has been built in Canada since 2003.
Certain models such as the Hybrid are still built in Japan.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
The only good extended warranties are factory. Aftermarket can be dissapointing. If you are keeping your BMW look into an extended warranty.
My 06 with 32,500 never gave me any grief. Somehow most cars self destruct when the warranty expires.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
I just assume that all cars have reliability problems which would depend who and how he/she is driving their car.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
The only good extended warranties are factory. Aftermarket can be dissapointing. If you are keeping your BMW look into an extended warranty.
My 06 with 32,500 never gave me any grief. Somehow most cars self destruct when the warranty expires.
GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance is really a smart value. It's just about $100 per year. 7 years/10,000k, it covers pretty much everything thats expensive. $250 deductible each time. You have to sign up before 15,000 miles/ 15 months and be the original owner.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance is really a smart value.
Good value yes. Too good to be true ... Most likely. Research them thoroughly before buying.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
Good value yes. Too good to be true ... Most likely. Research them thoroughly before buying.
I have been a GEICO happy customer for years. Internet reviews on their mechanical breakdown insurance are extremely well.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I have had 4 modern BMW's 325, 335, X5 and the X3 and all have been reliable, before the X5, we had a few Lexus products and by far they had many more issues even though they are considered much more reliable.

325 - fuel pump replaced and water pump in 4.5 years
335 - had the standard HPFP issues (3 of them) no other issues in 5.5 years
X5 - door lock actuator only issue in 3 years
X3 - no issues so far

Lexus GX470 (bought new, kept for 2 years) - New Driveshaft due to clunk, leaking shock on electronically controlled suspension (dealer replaced it, but replaced wrong side, so had to fix it twice) - after that, suspension would just now and then act like the car had no shocks - basically suspension was a bit crazy after that. Car also used to go into limp mode about once a week, light up all the lights on the dash, DSC, 4x4 etc, car would have no power, shut it off and start it back up and it would be fine. 4 trips and almost a year before the dealer could fix it - some air pump failed. Got sick of all the problems and traded it for an RX350 - 2009 RX350 was even worse - transfer case pouring oil on my garage floor by 9k miles, power back door worked some of the time, but probably only 75% of the time. Transmission did crazy things, shifted at weird times and made odd noises - sold it after a year, betting it needed a transmission shortly after.

My Honda Civic with no much in terms of technology is of course more reliable, but BMW in my experience has proven more reliable than any Lexus I have owned. The Germans are typically pretty cutting edge, the Japanese wait until it is proven before putting it in their cars, so there is a bit of pain sometimes being more bleeding edge, but it is much more fun!