Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 AM
BaranE BaranE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Brembo BBKs

I'm interested in either Brembo GT or GT-R big brake kits. Any one have these installed in the F01/02 or any other car? What are your impressions?

I was leaning towards the GT-R but I also like the GT in silver with drilled rotors. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gran_turismo_drilled2pc.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	371660   Click image for larger version

Name:	style_3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	371661   Click image for larger version

Name:	style_2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	371662   Click image for larger version

Name:	brembo-gtr-4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	371663   Click image for larger version

Name:	brembo-gtr-4-caliper.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	371664  

Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
BaranE BaranE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: '10 740Li
This is the GT in silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1M1.9001A-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	371665  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
coole65i coole65i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
Hmmm... not sure how much better these will grip. The F01/02 brakes are HUGE already. Plus you can powdercoat your calipers glossy silver for a couple of hundred bukcs. If you want a more firm feel on the pedal, you can swap the OEM ones with steel ones. I'd spend the money on other mods. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by coole65i; 04-16-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
BaranE BaranE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: '10 740Li
I've the 740 which has smaller brakes than 750+ and Alpinas. My biggest complaint isn't actually firmness but fade and extremely short life on both pads/rotors. And these look really cool )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM
rajeek's Avatar
rajeek rajeek is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,766
Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
I've the 740 which has smaller brakes than 750+ and Alpinas. My biggest complaint isn't actually firmness but fade and extremely short life on both pads/rotors. And these look really cool )
They do look cool, but price is prohibitive IMO. Will be almost 7-8K US when I priced it out.....guessing a lot more for you. Overkill I think. Who am I to talk though, we all probably partly overkill our cars or we would not be here.
__________________

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
BaranE BaranE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
They do look cool, but price is prohibitive IMO. Will be almost 7-8K US when I priced it out.....guessing a lot more for you. Overkill I think. Who am I to talk though, we all probably partly overkill our cars or we would not be here.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I really like the blue m5 calipers but haven't found a successful retrofit to f10. Lots of f10 users are using the brembos though. Anyways not may F01 takers as it may seem. I was looking for user feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 PM
coole65i coole65i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I really like the blue m5 calipers but haven't found a successful retrofit to f10. Lots of f10 users are using the brembos though. Anyways not may F01 takers as it may seem. I was looking for user feedback.
You also have to remember that you will be adding extra unsprung weight to your car with the BBKs. Have you tried comparing the weight of the stock 4 pods vs. the Brembo 6/8-pods? I'd say you are easily adding 10-15 pounds a corner with the caliper, rotor and pads.

I know a bunch of E60 owners who retrofitted their cars with E60 M5 brakes and regretted doing so.

1. Rotors cost 3x more $$$, especially on the F10 M5s with the two-piece design.
2. Same with pads
3. Pads and rotors wear even faster than stocks
4. Did I mention how heavy these are?

Unless you are going to track your F01, there are better alternatives than Brembo BBKs for street use. Akibono makes great rotors and pads and so do R1 Concepts here in SoCal. I have R1 Premiums with HAWK pads in my E60 545i and I love them. Great bite and ZERO dust!~
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 AM
BaranE BaranE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by coole65i View Post
You also have to remember that you will be adding extra unsprung weight to your car with the BBKs. Have you tried comparing the weight of the stock 4 pods vs. the Brembo 6/8-pods? I'd say you are easily adding 10-15 pounds a corner with the caliper, rotor and pads.

I know a bunch of E60 owners who retrofitted their cars with E60 M5 brakes and regretted doing so.

1. Rotors cost 3x more $$$, especially on the F10 M5s with the two-piece design.
2. Same with pads
3. Pads and rotors wear even faster than stocks
4. Did I mention how heavy these are?

Unless you are going to track your F01, there are better alternatives than Brembo BBKs for street use. Akibono makes great rotors and pads and so do R1 Concepts here in SoCal. I have R1 Premiums with HAWK pads in my E60 545i and I love them. Great bite and ZERO dust!~
I'd have thought that these would lower the unsprung weight. But thanks for the ideas. I'll check pad and rotors as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms