Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 roadster
Z3 Subwoofer wire colors

Just got a 2000 z3 roadster that the PO had cut and removed the factory amp. What i need to know is what color the wires coming from the factory (Traffic Pro) head unit is for the subs. I have 2 subs between the seats. I have all the other speaker wires connected to a new 4 channel amp and they woked great. Adding a 2 channel amp for the subs. I've located the wires going to the subs, just need wire color from head unit for input.
I have a r/w and brn wire left over, could that be the ones?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Go to Shipkillers website... www.shipkiller.com ....
He has the wiring diagrams for the various radio/speaker systems for the Z4's. it's highly likely that the wiring used is similar if not identical between the two cars... of that year.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
You may have to do some digging on this one. I have an '01 with the dual HK amps, and the main amp on the passenger side generated the inputs to the sub amp on the driver's side by splitting the sub freq range off of the front and rear speaker inputs.

Most likely, with the single amp, the front and rear speakers inputs drove the single amp directly and the amp outputs directly drove the sub. In other words, no separate subwoofer feed from the head unit.

Generally, red with a white tracer is Hot at all times, and Brown is the Ground lead.

Try here for factory electrical guides: http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

I've attached two pdf's, one for each type system that outlines connector pin-outs and wire colors. Between these and the the BMW Electrical Guide, you should be able to make sense of things.

If I were re-using the factory head unit I would consider using the full-range front channels from the head unit to drive a front component set, dropping the rear speakers and using the full-range rear channels from the head unit to drive the subs, setting the low-pass/high-pass settings on the amp inputs appropriately.

I went with an aftermarket head unit and ran 6 RCA's from the front to the back to feed my amps and 16 ga speaker wire back up front so the existing wiring format was a non-issue. All I reused from the original system were the wires to the subwoofer enclosure and the amp turn-on leads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998 BMW Z3 - Harmon Kardon Wiring.pdf (36.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: pdf 2001 BMW Z3 - Dual Amp Harmon Kardon Wiring.pdf (46.9 KB, 329 views)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
sub wiring

There were two speakers in my sub. One was wired with yellow(+)/brown(-) and the other was blue(+)/brown(-). So pick yellow or blue as your positive and brown will be your negative.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, i'll do some digging
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
For the Z3 dual-speaker HK subwoofer box, on the car side of the connector, one speaker is powered by a twisted pair with a blue with violet stripe and a blue with a gray stripe, the other speaker is powered by twisted pair with a yellow with blue stripe and a yellow with gray. In BMW stereo wiring, the softer color is the negative, so in this case, both of the gray stripes are the negative wires.
At the connector, the colors change a bit, so it looks like this
Car......Sub box
blu/violet...green
blu/grey...grey
yel/blu...green
yel/grey...grey

The blue and yellow twisted pairs go to the amplifier, which on your car I think is a separate subwoofer amp.

Last edited by Blacklane; 04-17-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers View Post
There were two speakers in my sub. One was wired with yellow(+)/brown(-) and the other was blue(+)/brown(-). So pick yellow or blue as your positive and brown will be your negative.
I'm looking for the wires from the head unit to the input side of the amp, not the output side.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM

If you have a new head unit and a new amplifier, it is better to run a set of RCA cables between them. Modern head units usually have RCA pre-amp output jacks in the back.

I don't think the HK head unit had a separate subwoofer output. That is created in the amplifier and, if present, amplified in the subwoofer amp.

There is a good wiring diagram in this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=542006

There is also a good stereo upgrade article on MZ3.net here: http://mz3.net/a-stereo-upgrade-to-learn-from-6.html

There are also quite a few threads here on stereo and amplifier issues. Use the button near the top on the right labeled "Search This Forum" and you can easily find them.

Last edited by Blacklane; 04-18-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
For the Z3 dual-speaker HK subwoofer box, on the car side of the connector, one speaker is powered by a twisted pair with a blue with violet stripe and a blue with a gray stripe, the other speaker is powered by twisted pair with a yellow with blue stripe and a yellow with gray. In BMW stereo wiring, the softer color is the negative, so in this case, both of the gray stripes are the negative wires.
At the connector, the colors change a bit, so it looks like this
Car......Sub box
blu/violet...green
blu/grey...grey
yel/blu...green
yel/grey...grey

The blue and yellow twisted pairs go to the amplifier, which on your car I think is a separate subwoofer amp.
Thanks, let me back up a little. When i got the car this is list of what was in the trunk. All wires had been cut, and factory amps missing. These were just laying in the trunk.
1. 1 rockford punch 160.4 amp (frt & rear speakers)
2. 1 rockford punch 60.2 amp (subs)
3. 1 kicker KX3 electronic crossover
4. 2ea. infinity KPX00 (tweeters)?
5. 2ea. Tsuami line output convertors
The PO said he could not remember the wiring since it had been 2 yrs since he had fooled with the z3, he has serval other play things in his large work shop.
I unstand the blue/violet stripe goes to right rear speaker, and the y/blu stripe goes to the left rear speaker. So the subs must bridge with them, right?
If so the kicker crossover could be used, right?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM

If you want to use this pile of stuff, you would install the line converters to the lines out of the head unit to reduce the speaker-level lines to pre-amp level lines. Then connect those to the main amplifier (160.4) inputs. The output of that amp would then go to the bass crossover and then to the subwoofer amp. If that input is too much for the sub amp, you might be able to insert the crossover before both amps and wire the amps to their respective crossover outputs.
Honestly, at this point, I would consider replacing the head unit with a modern one. They are not all that expensive and will come with USB interfaces, etc., and will have three channel pre-amp outputs. Wire those outputs to the amps using a triple RCA cable made just for this. Then you can throw away the line converters and subwoofer crossover.
I wonder what speakers are in this thing. I would seriously consider buying very good 120-watt component speakers for the front and bridging the outputs of the Punch 160.4 to two channels: left and right. The rear speakers don't do much anyway.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM

The front and rear speakers are infinity, tweeters look factory.Have not taken them out, so i don't know the model #'s
Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 99 m Roadster
Smile duel speaker

My car also had dual speakers I bought an amp that would power both speakers It took care of my basic issues And was less than $40 and sounds ok

Last edited by HANSONCLN; 07-21-2013 at 02:34 PM.