Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2008
Mileage vs Age and Price

I have been looking at X3s. I found a 2007 with 78K on it, it had two previous owners, but looks to be in real good shape and from a BMW dealer. However they want 18K for it. I also found a 2006 with only 45K on it for $1000 less. This one has the M package and is being sold by a non-BMW dealer. However, it looks like it may have been driven harder than the 2007.

My gut reaction tells me that at half the mileage the 2006 is a much better value, but driving them it feels like the newer car is in much better shape. Am I putting too much stock in the mileage, or am I opening myself up for trouble with a higher mileage car?
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 550i Sport, '07 X3
Personally I would say the 2007 is the better value given your description of the two. Better shape is better shape, a mileage difference doesn't really change that. You may have more maint with the higher mileage car, but then again if the lower mileage car has is in worse shape, it also needs maint.

Last edited by camaroguy; 04-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Don't the 2007s have a transmission issue? Neither one seems like a great deal. A 2006 shouldn't be that high priced.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Based upon experience

You really start getting into maintenance issues regardless of care taken and preventive maintenance performed at the greater of 100,000 miles or 10 years. At these points things just start failing. Shocks, CCV, DISA, cooling system, gaskets, alternators, intakes, clutches, MAF's etc etc.

I have preached for years DO NOT BUY a used BMW without some sort of warranty to get issues taken care of so that it is possible to keep one to the above limits. Get either a CPO, a used one where the owner had previously purchased an extended BMW warranty or one with some of the the original warranty still remaining. The potential cost otherwise far outweighs any benefits of rolling the dice. Plus, you aren't going to save much money any way.

Do not get a burr under your saddle to purchase one of the two you are looking at or you will make an emotional decision that you may very well regret later. Neither of the two you have identified look very appealing to me. 76,000 is to many miles on any used car, especially a BMW and the 2006 (which we have one of) apparently looks well used and it also rides like crap in case you haven't noticed. The sport suspension is really really stiff and MPG sucks as well. Keep looking, check the BMW NA webpage for a model search and also keep an eye on autotrader.com. Just bide your time and you can find a good deal.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudboy View Post
I have been looking at X3s. I found a 2007 with 78K on it, it had two previous owners, but looks to be in real good shape and from a BMW dealer. However they want 18K for it. I also found a 2006 with only 45K on it for $1000 less. This one has the M package and is being sold by a non-BMW dealer. However, it looks like it may have been driven harder than the 2007.

My gut reaction tells me that at half the mileage the 2006 is a much better value, but driving them it feels like the newer car is in much better shape. Am I putting too much stock in the mileage, or am I opening myself up for trouble with a higher mileage car?
half the mileage doesnt matter much if the previous owner was an idiot who didnt service the car.

Yu need to look at more than carfax. Carfax doesn tell you oil changes and where they got the parts
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The price is too high -- for both of them. For an '06 you would be lucky to get a bit over $10K from a trade in (unless they were playing games with the price of the other car) and the '07 not much more. Read the sticky at the top of the page for a long education on the trials of the '07 and the 6 speed auto box. Both cars are probably due for some serious mantenance and repair items soon too. These are expensive, even if done by an indy and some you cannot do yourself without the proper equipment. These are not cheap cars to run and they do wear out and break with some frequency. After learning the hard way I too would not have a BMW out of warranty.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528I
I am looking at 2004 X3 2.5 5 Speed for $9950 with a clean carfax and 104K miles. What kind of maintenance should I be worried about at this stage? I am going in between that and a 2000 528I with 135K on the dial for $6500. Which one of these is the better deal?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Neither as both could bite you upwards of $5000. You need maintenance records to see if known issues have already been done. Issues around 100,000 include shocks, front end parts such as control arms, cooling system overhaul, CCV system replacement, intake boot replacement, valve cover gaskets, oil canister gasket for example. All of these are known issues. the 2000 is just plain and simple to old. The 04 will be ten years old next year and at that point things just wear out. On either of these two vehicles add $5000-$7000 to the price for maintenance in the next couple years and you can see that it might be better to take that same amount and find a newer one with a CPO warranty or an extended warranty already in place. Here I go again- DO NOT BUY a used BMW with no warranty.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Neither as both could bite you upwards of $5000. You need maintenance records to see if known issues have already been done. Issues around 100,000 include shocks, front end parts such as control arms, cooling system overhaul, CCV system replacement, intake boot replacement, valve cover gaskets, oil canister gasket for example. All of these are known issues. the 2000 is just plain and simple to old. The 04 will be ten years old next year and at that point things just wear out. On either of these two vehicles add $5000-$7000 to the price for maintenance in the next couple years and you can see that it might be better to take that same amount and find a newer one with a CPO warranty or an extended warranty already in place. Here I go again- DO NOT BUY a used BMW with no warranty.
From my perspective I would say - NEVER pay for a warranty, and NEVER pay a dealer 4x the money to do what you can do yourself.

I understand we are all different, but we don't know what this person can and cannot do himself. If he knows his way around a car, it would easily cost him ~1/4 of what you quoted to do everything you mentioned. Seeing as he currently drives an E34, it should be pointed out that both vehicles he is looking at are more complicated and cost more to fix.

Last edited by camaroguy; 04-19-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The price is too high -- for both of them. For an '06 you would be lucky to get a bit over $10K from a trade in (unless they were playing games with the price of the other car) and the '07 not much more. Read the sticky at the top of the page for a long education on the trials of the '07 and the 6 speed auto box. Both cars are probably due for some serious mantenance and repair items soon too. These are expensive, even if done by an indy and some you cannot do yourself without the proper equipment. These are not cheap cars to run and they do wear out and break with some frequency. After learning the hard way I too would not have a BMW out of warranty.
Is that really that high a price? From what I have been able to find $17K is average for an X3 with that kind of mileage and year. In this case it is a dealer car with a known history. I need to talk to him this weekend if I can get there, and I will find out about the tranny. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to find the perfect car, and I would rather this than a CRV. Going any newer - the 2009-2010 models seem to start at $26K and head upwards of $35K around here. While yes there is some warranty value there, I don't know that I would be willing to pay $10000 more for that.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
History is everything. I found my '04 3.0i at a Volvo dealer 2 years ago, a one owner trade in on a new XC90. That kind of "provenance" eases the mind. Cars do not need to come from a BMW dealer but where they come from should make sense... not CarMax or a Buy Here Pay Here dealer. Regardless of the seller, most of us need an extended warranty.

Remember that price is not nearly as important as value. A cheap beater will probably not make you happy every time you see it but the perfect car will, no matter what you paid for it. If your BMW does not put a sh-t eating grin on your face every time you see it then you have spent your money poorly.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
camero -- I hear what you are saying and have to say that it is not off the mark. However as the cars get more and more complicated and computer controlled it seems to me that the less we can do ourselves. Yes, there are the "simple" things like brake replacement, fluid changes, filter replacement, and even spark plugs. That alone will save a ton of coin over time. However, not everyone can or wants to do that anymore. I know I stopped changing my own oil when it became "too hard" to get rid of the old stuff. The other things I just got too old to deal with any more and found it easier to pay some young guy who likes to do it and has a family to feed. Notice I did not mention anything that gets "hard" and needs the expensive diagnostic machines to "read" the car's computer. Those are beyond my ken.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
camero -- I hear what you are saying and have to say that it is not off the mark. However as the cars get more and more complicated and computer controlled it seems to me that the less we can do ourselves. Yes, there are the "simple" things like brake replacement, fluid changes, filter replacement, and even spark plugs. That alone will save a ton of coin over time. However, not everyone can or wants to do that anymore. I know I stopped changing my own oil when it became "too hard" to get rid of the old stuff. The other things I just got too old to deal with any more and found it easier to pay some young guy who likes to do it and has a family to feed. Notice I did not mention anything that gets "hard" and needs the expensive diagnostic machines to "read" the car's computer. Those are beyond my ken.
I mostly agree here except for it being "hard" to dispose of oil and the fact that none of the common problems on these things requires a computer to fix. Most of the common thing which do need a computer are doable with a cheap $50 code scanner. There are a few like recalibrating the transfer case servo, or re coding a module which require the expensive computers, but those tend to be the exceptions more than the rule with repairs. In the end, we are both correct and it is just a choice we both make. I do it so that owning bmws doesn't really cost much more than owning Hondas
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 AM

What?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
I mostly agree here except for it being "hard" to dispose of oil and the fact that none of the common problems on these things requires a computer to fix. Most of the common thing which do need a computer are doable with a cheap $50 code scanner. There are a few like recalibrating the transfer case servo, or re coding a module which require the expensive computers, but those tend to be the exceptions more than the rule with repairs. In the end, we are both correct and it is just a choice we both make. I do it so that owning bmws doesn't really cost much more than owning Hondas
Dude, you've been working on Camaros to long
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

I have been looking at other options but that is my budget. I am already at max at $9950. I don;t want to buy anything else.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
I made a half-emotional decision in February, trading in a perfectly good 08 CRV for an 06 with 7X,XXX miles on it. However, this car was to close to pristine shape, with the rear armrests still in plastic.
Husband and I went over the car for 3 hours and gave it a couple test drives over the course of 2 days.
We Carfaxed, we VINed, and we knew the dealer well. The salesman gave us a top-to-bottom 30 day (yes, I know it is not much) warranty. He also gave us the name of his wife's BMW mechanic.
We got a decent trade-in price, and the car fit our budget.
We also got it from a Honda dealer, not BMW.
Only mistake: we did not do a pre-purchase inspection from an indy shop. I do have one lined up for the day she gets an oil change.

Trust your gut.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Dude, you've been working on Camaros to long
I actually wish this were the case, but my z28 is being stored about 70 miles away currently, so I don't get to work on it much.

Have been working on BMW's for the past 10 years or so
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City BMW View Post
I have been looking at other options but that is my budget. I am already at max at $9950. I don;t want to buy anything else.
I think this is the crux of the situation. If that is your max budget and you don't know your way around working on a BMW, its a recipe for disaster. Even if you do know your way around them, its not wise to spend every inch of your budget on one of these as they will ALWAYS need something within the first year or two (though this is usually true of any make at this age).
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM

This is true of any vehicle.