Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 3.28xi (e90 2009) w/Nav
Tire question - I have winter tires but want to switch all-season

My recent purchase of an 09 3.28xi came with Dunlop 225/45R17 94V tires. After doing a quick search, they turn out to be winter tires. Being in Minneapolis, this was a good thing but now as warmer weather approaches I presume I need to switch them out...

Any suggestions? I'm new to this switching tire business as I've never lived in this climate before.
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
We recommend you have a separate set of wheels and summer tires. Do you have two sets of wheels?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
We recommend you have a separate set of wheels and summer tires. Do you have two sets of wheels?
I do not have separate wheels. Car only came with the wheels attached, which were the winter tires
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik05 View Post
I do not have separate wheels. Car only came with the wheels attached, which were the winter tires
Assuming the wheels that are on the car are OEM, my personal recommendation would be to have summer tires mounted on them and then buy another set to put the winters on. Are you aware BMW uses Run Flat Tires? You do not have to use RFTs, but if you choose regular tires you may want to acquire a doughnut spare. There is a sticky at the top of this forum addressing that.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM

The rims are OEM. I am aware of the RFTs but am weary due to the heavy price to get them. Can I still get a smooth "BMW" drive if I went with standard summer tires? Also, I'd probably have to purchase a new set of wheels to go with the tires huh?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Living in MA, I run non-RFT Continental DWS tires for 3 seasons of the year on the stock BMW wheels that came with my car, and Bridgestone Blizzaks on Rial Salerno wheels for the winter. Both sets have TPMS sensors installed.

The cost of the separate wheels/sensors for the winter tires are a one-time $700 hit, but you save +/- $160 every year on swapping/balancing the tires, plus reducing the chance of some tireshop kid damaging the rims changing the tires over.

FWIW,
George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
My recent purchase of an 09 3.28xi came with Dunlop 225/45R17 94V tires. After doing a quick search, they turn out to be winter tires. Being in Minneapolis, this was a good thing but now as warmer weather approaches I presume I need to switch them out...

Any suggestions? I'm new to this switching tire business as I've never lived in this climate before.

With the presumption of assumption you'll avoid a bad connumption.

Michelin PSS'll put a smile on yer mug. Strictly warm weather!

And the idea of having a set o'Summer alloy wheels & tires is a good one.

But, ooooooooooooooh these Bimmer people, who do they think they are?
Buy this! Buy that! Don't they realize we buy pre-owned vehicles for a saving? Has cash no meaning to these kibitzers?

I tell you now, a 5 year payback on $700 might not be bad for those "my new BMW is our weekend car" pilots, but in the real world, Craigslist is your friend. Let your fingers do the walking.....search every day for a set of wheels....many now selling their BMW have a spare set!

Good luck, lad. And remember: The pre-owned market presents bargains indeed, from time to time!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 04-18-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM

In order to save money, I'm contemplating swapping for All-Seasons and selling my current winter ones to save money and hassle of swapping them out every year. Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I tell you now, a 5 year payback on $700 might not be bad for those "my new BMW is our weekend car" pilots, but in the real world, Craigslist is your friend. Let your fingers do the walking.....search every day for a set of wheels....many now selling their BMW have a spare set!
Now, not to be pedantic, but last time I looked, 700 / 160 = +/- 4

Quote:
In order to save money, I'm contemplating swapping for All-Seasons and selling my current winter ones to save money and hassle of swapping them out every year. Thoughts?
In Minneapolis? Seems like the definition of "I need winter tires" to me. Do you need to go out while it's snowing or can you wait until June when the storm stops?

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-18-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post

In Minneapolis? Seems like the definition of "I need winter tires" to me. Do you need to go out while it's snowing or can you wait until June when the storm stops?
OP he's luring you in a trap and wanting you to say " But ... but ... I have X drive!". Don't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Alright alright so I need to go down the path of two sets of tires then. I need to figure out now roughly how much it'll cost to get the same rims and summer tires along with the sensor. Would going to the dealer be same as going to Tirerack?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Alright alright so I need to go down the path of two sets of tires then. I need to figure out now roughly how much it'll cost to get the same rims and summer tires along with the sensor. Would going to the dealer be same as going to Tirerack?
Assuming the car came with BMW rims, I'd just get a nice set of summer tires (or A/S tires) onto those rims now. Then, I'd get a set of winter rims / sensors next fall for the winter tires you already have. I don't think I'd go with BMW rims for the winter set (at least, I didn't).

The dealer will be very much higher than tire rack.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Would going to the dealer be same as going to Tirerack?
yes.
but its going to cost you probably double going to the dealer.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Assuming the car came with BMW rims, I'd just get a nice set of summer tires (or A/S tires) onto those rims now. Then, I'd get a set of winter rims / sensors next fall for the winter tires you already have. I don't think I'd go with BMW rims for the winter set (at least, I didn't).

The dealer will be very much higher than tire rack.
^^This. I got my winter wheels and tires, virtually brand new, for $400 from a fellow Windy City chapter member of the BMW CCA.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3
The OP is getting some excellent, informed advice here. At the risk of sounding pedantic, allow me to summarize: Those in serious snow country have three tire options as I see it:
(1) Fit the car with summer tires. Drive in the winter ONLY when it is well above freezing and the roads are dry and no precip is expencted. This is what I did with my M3 and now do with my Porsche. Clearly unsatisfactory if you must be go to work and have only one car, no access to public transport, etc.
(2) Fit the BMW with all-season tires. Particularly with an AWD xi/xd model, this keeps you moving in all but the worst winter weather. In the really bad stuff, you could use AWD plus winter tires. For the severest winter conditions, of course, only an Arctic Cat will do.
(3) Buy a second set of wheels and have a set of summer tires for the optimum BMW Ultimate Driving Machine experience for half the year, and a set of winter tires to go in the other half of the year. This is the "best" choice but of course now you have the expense of an extra four wheels & tires, the hassle of storing the other set while not in use and perhaps the expense/trouble of owing a jack, torque wrench, etc. so that you can do your own seasonal changeovers. Thus, not for everybody... Many here (myself included) like this apporach -- and if like me you have multiple vehicles, you only need to do this for one of 'em.

I suppose I could also list option (4) Two sets of tires (one winter, one summer) in the same size that you take to a tire store to swap out seasonally. There are folks that do this, but what a hassle and your pretty wheels take it tough with all the swapping back and forth. Usually not recommended...
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 04-18-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
The OP is getting some excellent, informed advice here. At the risk of sounding pedantic, allow me to summarize: Those in serious snow country have three tire options as I see it:
(1) Fit the car with summer tires. Drive in the winter ONLY when it is well above freezing and the roads are dry and no precip is expencted. This is what I did with my M3 and now do with my Porsche. Clearly unsatisfactory if you must be go to work and have only one car, no access to public transport, etc.
(2) Fit the BMW with all-season tires. Particularly with an AWD xi/xd model, this keeps you moving in all but the worst winter weather. In the really bad stuff, you could use AWD plus winter tires. For the severest winter conditions, of course, only an Arctic Cat will do.
(3) Buy a second set of wheels and have a set of summer tires for the optimum BMW Ultimate Driving Machine experience for half the year, and a set of winter tires to go in the other half of the year. This is the "best" choice but of course now you have the expense of an extra four wheels & tires, the hassle of storing the other set while not in use and perhaps the expense/trouble of owing a jack, torque wrench, etc. so that you can do your own seasonal changeovers. Thus, not for everybody... Many here (myself included) like this apporach -- and if like me you have multiple vehicles, you only need to do this for one of 'em.

I suppose I could also list option (4) Two sets of tires (one winter, one summer) in the same size that you take to a tire store to swap out seasonally. There are folks that do this, but what a hassle and your pretty wheels take it tough with all the swapping back and forth. Usually not recommended...
Excellent write up sir! Could you please help define what would be "worst winter weather". Some folks I've spoken to around here have said that good A/S tires are sufficient in the winters out here but some have also suggested option (3). My issue is mainly the cost of getting fresh wheels and sensors and changing them out. I was hoping there was a set of tires out there that were sufficient enough for snow (not blizzard, but just few inches of snow, less than a ft. Roads get paved in the city rather quickly)
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Now, not to be pedantic, but last time I looked, 700 / 160 = +/- 4

700/160=4.375 Gadzooks! -- term advisedly, yet sneakily, used -- have we neglected resale valve?
  • Tire change service charge reasale value: $0.00
  • Alloy wheel resale value: Maybe 50% o'purchase.

Aha! Takes money to make money, OP. Your best value is best taken with a bullet to bite on. In the end, you'll do well. Couople of years away, you're making $ - few later, you're selling to recoup. Passsive income from investment is so low now that it can be neglected in casual computation. I say to you, sir, that a hardware purchase is your best course.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
700/160=4.375 Gadzooks! -- term advisedly, yet sneakily, used -- have we neglected resale valve?
I see no decimal point! I will challenge the significance of your precision, sir!

Quote:
Excellent write up sir! Could you please help define what would be "worst winter weather". Some folks I've spoken to around here have said that good A/S tires are sufficient in the winters out here but some have also suggested option (3). My issue is mainly the cost of getting fresh wheels and sensors and changing them out. I was hoping there was a set of tires out there that were sufficient enough for snow (not blizzard, but just few inches of snow, less than a ft. Roads get paved in the city rather quickly)
I had a set of Nokian WR tires that I ran year round. They're called an All-Season but they're rated for significant snow. Nice tire. Lots of grip in all conditions. Not much life, though. 25k miles and they were screaming bald.

That's the trade. Tires that are good in snow have aggressive treads and a soft compound, so they grip and deform into the snow in cold temperatures. Makes them melt like butter in warm weather.

All sorts of people will tell you you'll be fine with AWD and A/S tires. I've run both on my 335xi. It's passable in 3" or less with all-seasons, but it goes pear shaped very quickly after that (new, 3000 mile Continental DWS tires last October) and they blindingly suck on ice.

I currently use xDrive and dedicated winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70s) in the winter. 6" - 9" of snow is no problem at all and your biggest worry is that one of the "my all-seasons are just fine" people is going to slide into you at an intersection.

YMMV.

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post

Aren't STEEL wheels available for the OP through Tire Rack? We might be scaring him price wise.

I'm not in agreement for "A/S" tires in his heavy snow area. Depending on brand, "A/S" tire winter traction could be all over the map and they'll quickly lose winter traction as they wear down. Dedicated Winter tires are in order for his location, IMO.
'
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: E90 TIAG 335i
As I believe the picture of your car in the snow is a LIVE picture from today - it is April 18th and we are getting 8 inches of snow - you already know the answer. In Minnesota you have both snow and cold. My wife's F30 has x-drive and all season Continentals. It isn't close to as good in winter as my E90 with snow tires. The snow tires are better in cold. They grip well at -25 and blow through 8 inches of snow. I am assuming I will end up getting snow tires on my wife's car too. I have Dunlop WIntersport and Michelin Pilots. Both are really good tires for winter and summer respectively. Will replace with the same tires when they wear out.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Aren't STEEL wheels available for the OP through Tire Rack? We might be scaring him price wise.
Perhaps for a 328 in 16". Nothing but alloy in 17" when I got the wheels for my 335.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
As I believe the picture of your car in the snow is a LIVE picture from today - it is April 18th and we are getting 8 inches of snow - you already know the answer. In Minnesota you have both snow and cold. My wife's F30 has x-drive and all season Continentals. It isn't close to as good in winter as my E90 with snow tires. The snow tires are better in cold. They grip well at -25 and blow through 8 inches of snow. I am assuming I will end up getting snow tires on my wife's car too. I have Dunlop WIntersport and Michelin Pilots. Both are really good tires for winter and summer respectively. Will replace with the same tires when they wear out.
Good decision. I believe dedicated snow tires were invented for Minnesota.
My father received Winter ski patrol training in Minn. during WWII and once told me that they "lost" someone on a very "snowy" training excercise. I don't believe they ever found him.
Although he was from Mass., he told me that Minnesota made him yearn for the comparatively "light snow" of New England.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I see no decimal point! I will challenge the significance of your precision, sir!

My calculation does not adhere to notions of scientific precision, I freely admit.

But there is a larger issue: What if OP scores half price wheels on the pre-owned market?

There is our sweet spot. Assuming he will own his car long enough to wear out winter and summer tires once, OP is out very little cash indeed! Why, with the Obama 'Recovery Summer' almost here, OP will likely see a profit when he sells his second set o'wheels. Excellent!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Run flat all season, and swap back to your winter tires when needed.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=245VR7MXM4PZP
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
Run flat all season, and swap back to your winter tires when needed.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=245VR7MXM4PZP
o0o those arent too bad on the wallet and seem to have an overall good reviews based on a quick search on the forums. I wonder why they are priced relatively low compared to other RFT...