Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-18-2013, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 320i
Question [Help] Low speed steering pull + brake squealing

Hi guys I'm Nothsa, a newbie to Bimmer.

I'm having a 2006 M Sport 320i, it's my first BMW so im not too sure if what catches my attention is normal or im just too sensitive on the new car...

the car is driving all good on normal driving speed, even on high speed it feels perfect. however, while driving on low speed i've noticed some issues:

- while driving on low speed, occasionally the steering pulls and car darts to one side or another especially whilst driving on uneven surface (eg. roadwork roads)
- while driving on low speed and apply the brake lightly there's a squeaky sounds (quite loud to be exact, makes me feel like an idiot because i scared the pedestrians all the time) coming from my right front brake

wondering if you guys know what's the possible cause and if you have encountered such problems before, thank you very much (bow)

Last edited by Nothsa; 04-19-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothsa View Post
Hi guys I'm AJ, a newbie to Bimmer.

I'm having a 2006 M Sport 320i, it's my first BMW so im not too sure if what catches my attention is normal or im just too sensitive on the new car...

the car is driving all good on normal driving speed, even on high speed it feels perfect. however, while driving on low speed i've noticed some issues:

- while driving on low speed, occasionally the steering pulls and car darts to one side or another especially whilst driving on uneven surface (eg. roadwork roads)
- while driving on low speed and apply the brake lightly there's a squeaky sounds (quite loud to be exact, makes me feel like an idiot because i scared the pedestrians all the time) coming from my right front brake

wondering if you guys know what's the possible cause and if you have encountered such problems before, thank you very much (bow)

Go ahead....call me crazy.....but I think it may be a brake issue.

First things first: Inspect the brakes. You may have worn a pad or two down to the backing plate, now metal to metal when brakes applied. Screeeeeeeeeeech!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
yep. pull the wheel off and look in the caliper and see if you have any pad left, are you capable of replacing the pads your self?

Hondo
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Exclamation

Hi Guys thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I've taken my car to the dealer workshop just today and it took half day for them to check the car, here's what they've told me:

1. the front rotors and all brake pads are actually new, so they machine the rear brake rotors and skim the rear discs.

2. for the pulling they told me as the m sport's having relatively bigger rims (18"), tyres wider and of low profile, the steering would act more sensitive then "normal" cars, that's why i can feel the car "pulling" to the side or another especially on an uneven/bumpy roads.

on the way back the squealing noise disappeared, but it is slowly getting back now (been driving for about 1.5 hour to pick up my friend from work)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 AM

got the car back for two days now:
1. on my way back home the squealing noise disappeared, but it was slowly getting back, yesterday (just 1 day after i collected the car back from them) the squeaky noise's back and sounds like there's a pig in my car being slaughtered when i pedal the brake.
2. that "pulling" feel happens not only on bumpy/uneven roads, and i believe there's nothing to do with the road crown as yesterday i test drive it on a relatively flat road and it did happen again.

What i've done so far:
1. I test drive the car in different weather conditions and times and im pretty certain that i could successfully reproduce the sound myself as it happens almost everytime i brake from low speed.
2. I've taken more than quite a few of video clips of the aforesaid symptoms to show the tech if he still can't get it.
3. Did a bit of research myself online with some suggestions to show to the tech.

I've just had this car for about 2~3 weeks and now everyone turn their head to me while im trying to park but not in anyway i'd like it to be LoL, bought a BMW but now it sounds like a 15year old truck/school bus.....sigh....
Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
BMWs are famous for tramlining. Any longitudinal depression in the road can feel like it's grabbing the steering to the uninitiated. If you're sure you get pulling, even when the surface is very flat, it could be another issue.

The caliper may not be retracting the brake pads enough. There might be an issue with the brake pads not being properly seated in the caliper. The brake lines may be damaged such that the brake fluid may not be withdrawing properly. If the pull is significant, I would definitely get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

Brake squeal occurs when the pad vibrates in the caliper housing. For very little money, you can get a type of thick, paint on, rubber-like coating that minimizes this. You paint it on the back of the brake pad and then reinstall it. I use "Noise Free Disc Brake Squeal Silencer" from Bavarian Auto Parts.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothsa View Post
I've just had this car for about 2~3 weeks and now everyone turn their head to me while im trying to park but not in anyway i'd like it to be LoL, bought a BMW but now it sounds like a 15year old truck/school bus.....sigh....

OK so you may not know the history of repairs. Gotta wonder - are those BMW pads in your car?

I'll say this: I have BMW pads - I have zero squeal - I have brake dust - I have bobble coming to full stop - I got that smile creatin' sa-mooth bite on application.

Also, I like to SEARCH....give link a read!