Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Thank you very much. That's a big help.
the years are sort of misleading...just saying.

"For the warranty portion BMW will allow you to extend up to 5 years or 70K,
5 years or 100K, 6 years or 70K, 6 years or 100K, 7 years or 70K, or 7
years or 100K (please be aware that the 5, 6, and 7 years is really an
extra 1, 2, or 3 on top of original coverage)."
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
the years are sort of misleading...just saying.

"For the warranty portion BMW will allow you to extend up to 5 years or 70K,
5 years or 100K, 6 years or 70K, 6 years or 100K, 7 years or 70K, or 7
years or 100K (please be aware that the 5, 6, and 7 years is really an
extra 1, 2, or 3 on top of original coverage)."
Yeah, I noticed that. I don't do high mileage so for me it would go by years. I should only have 30,000 or so miles on her when she is 4 years old. Adding one year is a rip off compared to adding 2 or 3.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
I just got these for a "third party" extended warranty. Don't know the company yet...

7ry / 100k $2780
6yr / 100k $2601
6yr/ 85k $2318
6yr/ 72k $2103
5yr/ 100k $2051
The company is Fidelity insurance
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Quote:
Did you get this through a BMW dealer? An earlier poster said he got an extended Warranty through a BMW dealer but it was underwritten by Fidelity.

Here was his PM to me

"I was referring to the dealership extended warranty. BMW is basically a reseller for policies sold by JM&A, which is owned by Fidelity. So when you buy a BMW extended warranty, it says "Fidelity Assurance Services" (or something like that) on the actual contract. Your contract is with them, not BMW. I have only good things to say about them, as they have honored all covered parts and services, and quite a few uncovered ones over the years too."

When I purchased an EW from Lexus, it was underwritten by Lexus and not a third party.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM

eXTENDED WARRANTY cOST

Yes. These prices were from the dealer. The fidelity prices were not through bmw

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. These prices were from the dealer. The fidelity prices were not through bmw

Quote:
I just got these for a "third party" extended warranty. Don't know the company yet...

7ry / 100k $2780
6yr / 100k $2601
6yr/ 85k $2318
6yr/ 72k $2103
5yr/ 100k $2051
You are confusing me. First you say that the prices are from a third party and then you say the prices are from the dealer and that Fidelity is the underwriter and then you say the fidelity prices are not from the dealer. Which is it?

I cannot believe that BMW would not cover their own extended warranties and they are only the "broker" between you and Fidelity. Why not just go to Fidelity and cut BMW out?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Let me clarify...the dealer is giving me two option.

1. Extended Warranty from BMW - listed above with the heading "Platinum". I have no idea if this is directly with BMW or if they are getting it elsewhere.

2. Extended Warranty from Fidelity - listed above with the lower prices.

The dealer is giving me a choice - extended warranty from BMW or extended warranty from Fidelity.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

7ry / 100k $2780
6yr / 100k $2601
6yr/ 85k $2318
6yr/ 72k $2103
5yr/ 100k $2051
Quote:
Let me clarify...the dealer is giving me two option.

1. Extended Warranty from BMW - listed above with the heading "Platinum". I have no idea if this is directly with BMW or if they are getting it elsewhere.

2. Extended Warranty from Fidelity - listed above with the lower prices.

The dealer is giving me a choice - extended warranty from BMW or extended warranty from Fidelity.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:

Fidelity is pretty good, they provide EW for Audi. This company sells fidelity insurance as well and its probably cheaper than the dealer.

http://fd-warranty.com/othermakes/index.html
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM

Thanks...just sent in for a quote.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Fidelity is pretty good, they provide EW for Audi. This company sells fidelity insurance as well and its probably cheaper than the dealer.

http://fd-warranty.com/othermakes/index.html
This guy Troy is the guy I purchased the Lexus Platinum EW (backed by Lexus and not an aftermkt ins co 3 years ago. Nice straight guy to deal with.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: X3
My dealer quoted me $3675 for 7 yr platinum Vehicle Protection Plan via Fidelity and $4300 from the dealer (3.5i X3). This is cancelable if you sell car before the end and they will prorate the plan for what you haven't used.

Then there is the BMW Scheduled Maintenance plan for 6 yrs from Fidelity that stays with the car for $2800, or $3600 from the dealer. This could potentially be a plus if you sold the car at 5 years as this would be attractive for buyer or trade-in.

Dealer also said I would need to decide within two months to get these prices. I think both of these are overpriced from what I've seen here and elsewhere so will check around. I can see some value perhaps at the right price if I keep car for 5-6 years. There is a big margin for the dealer in these and I think it could be negotiated although I was not given that impression at time of sale.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarlover View Post
My dealer quoted me $3675 for 7 yr platinum Vehicle Protection Plan via Fidelity and $4300 from the dealer (3.5i X3). This is cancelable if you sell car before the end and they will prorate the plan for what you haven't used.

Then there is the BMW Scheduled Maintenance plan for 6 yrs from Fidelity that stays with the car for $2800, or $3600 from the dealer. This could potentially be a plus if you sold the car at 5 years as this would be attractive for buyer or trade-in.

Dealer also said I would need to decide within two months to get these prices. I think both of these are overpriced from what I've seen here and elsewhere so will check around. I can see some value perhaps at the right price if I keep car for 5-6 years. There is a big margin for the dealer in these and I think it could be negotiated although I was not given that impression at time of sale.
Why is the scheduled maintenance so much? When you say 6 years , a assume that means 2 years extra after the free one? The bmw web site lists $2095 for that. If I were buying it I would be looking for a price below the suggested retail.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I had an extended warranty with my current G35 that wasn't Infiniti, but bought through the dealership. I never knew what issues I would have had if I had needed to use it and couldn't make it back to the dealer I bought it from. A third party warranty that can be used with any BMW dealership without too much hassle would probably be acceptable. I think I would probably want it to go to 7 years.

Or just put the money aside to cover warranty work. And treat it like I do on some other items. If I ever need it, and I feel that something goes wrong that I don't think should have in 7 years, just buy something else the next time. I don't really have brand loyalty anyway. Since college, I've driven a Toyota, a Ford (car and truck), and an Infiniti. All, at the time I purchased them, the model was what I was interested in.

Right now, even though I've liked my Infiniti, they don't really have something in the niche I'm interested in. Decent fuel economy, at least the minimal utility of the X3, and some sportiness.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I also wonder why the Scheduled Maintenance was quoted so high - after all they would in theory only replace the oil for 2 more years plus whatever else shows up on the monitor which could be nothing, for $2800; wow, think I'm in the wrong business. I haven't looked at the price on the BMW website but the quote for me seems extremely high. I did not try to negotiate at the time as I said I wouldn't make any decisions at the time of purchase anyway. If I don't choose either plan within two months the price goes up according to the rep. Good way not to get my business. I will continue to check prices in next month or so. I can do a lot with $6500 in repairs and maintenance for a period between end of 4 yr warranty and when I would probably sell the car.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
This guy Troy is the guy I purchased the Lexus Platinum EW (backed by Lexus and not an aftermkt ins co 3 years ago. Nice straight guy to deal with.
Troy is pretty nice and upfront. I am going to buy my warranty from him as soon as my car hits 45k. It is going to be 6yr/72k on top of my mileage and with $ 250 ded, it should be close to 3K and it is fidelity Platinum

Last edited by Masterx5; 04-14-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: add