Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 318i soon I hope...
need help with my 2000 520i, misfires MAF and possibly shady mechanic

Hello All,

I need some help/advice for my recently purchased 2000 520i. I'll give you the back story. I am from the USA but now live in Hong Kong for work. BMW's here are a dime a dozen as they are very common here. They are quite cheap second hand as well. Because HK is so small, most cars here have very low miles. I just bought mine and it has 94000km (less than 60000 miles) on the clock. The car is in pretty good shape. I checked all the basics before I bought it. Oil level was good and looked clean, coolant was ok, brakes were in good shape (new pads and rotors looked ok), new tires and most importantly, NO check engine light on. The only issue was a leaky valve cover gasket which I planned to have fixed right away. So I bought the car.

Yesterday I dropped the car off to a shop to have the valve cover gasket replaced and new spark plugs installed. The shop told me they would give the car a diagnostics check to make sure there were no other issues. So the mechanic calls me up this afternoon and tells me hes got bad news. Says the car has all kinds of issues.

So far this is what he told me:
1. The check engine light has been disabled/removed so was not lighting up despite the issues
2. The ABS system is not functioning at all and that it should be a faulty ABS module. He said the ABS light has also been disabled/removed so that is why it wasnt showing a problem.
3. The steering rack is leaking fluid and that these racks are not serviceable for seals, can only replace whole rack.
4. All 4 oxygen sensors are defective and need replaced
5. Misfires on all cylinders except cylinder 1
6. MAF sensor defective and need replacement

My first issue is with him saying the check engine light and ABS light bubls have been removed/disabled. From what I've read on this site, they are actually LEDS on a PCB board and cannot simply be "removed". They would have to be de-soldered from the board or physically broken to make them not light up. I found by reading here and talking to a friend who also drives an E39 that the check engine and ABS lights to not light up with the turn of the ignition before you start the car. The only way to make those light up is by initiating the self test mode that lights all dash lights and guage sweep. I will be sure to try this and see if mine work.

Next, if there was some major problem with my ABS module, this should cause my ASC light to come on because it would not allow the ASC system to function properly. I can turn ASC on and off by the button with no issues, and the light works fine.

For the misfires, MAF sensor and oxygen sensors, his conclusion is all based on the codes pulled with his scanner. Obviously these codes could have been stored from an intermittent issue, and could all be related to one thing like bad spark plugs or dirty MAF. Isn't that right?

I've attached photos he sent of the codes he pulled with his scanner. I think this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or at least does not know much about this car. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,
Byron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130418-WA0003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	371980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130418-WA0004.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	371981  
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Missfires could be related to cleaking valve cover gaskets. Since the ASC light works as it should I see no issue with the ABS, if there is a ABS issue surely he can show you some ABS error codes? Error codes could also be old stored codes that were never cleared after fixing issues. I would get second opinion. You could also pull the codes yourself, if you buy a scanner. Do you have a laptop? If you do I would recommend you to buy INPA cable. It should be relatevely easy to source one since there are so many sellers for that cable in Hong Kong. You can find information about INPA and about OBD scanners in general in the the VERY best of E39 Links.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM

Hi HTK12, thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing about the ASC light . Its working fine and I can turn ASC on/off with no problem, so what this guy is saying doesn't make sense. I will look into the cable you mentioned I need to do some more research.

About the check engine and abs lights, do you know the procedure for initiating the self test mode? My friend told me how its done on his 2002, but he has a higher trim level with the in dash scrolling computer read out. Mine does not have that, it just has the basic display that shows outside temp, lpg etc.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Heres a pic of my dash

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366300759339.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	371992  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansho93 View Post
Hi HTK12, thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing about the ASC light . Its working fine and I can turn ASC on/off with no problem, so what this guy is saying doesn't make sense. I will look into the cable you mentioned I need to do some more research.

About the check engine and abs lights, do you know the procedure for initiating the self test mode? My friend told me how its done on his 2002, but he has a higher trim level with the in dash scrolling computer read out. Mine does not have that, it just has the basic display that shows outside temp, lpg etc.

The information you need can be found here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=4925191 . By looking at the first post you'll see which cluster you got and in second post you'll find information how to unluck the cluster for tests.

Edit: Looks like you got low cluster

Last edited by HTK12; 04-18-2013 at 09:36 AM.