Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4
Blind Spots

Budda1

Recently purchased an 03 Z4 Roadster. It was a 1 owner with 20,600 actual miles.

I had been doing research on issues and problems. There were what seemed to be common areas of concern. The ride? It's a sports car. Cab Roominess? Its a sports car.

Blind spots?

I noticed this issue very early on...the test drive to be exact. I solved the problem very quickly. I went to the local parts store....bought two 3" spot mirrors....problem solved.

I have owned Corvettes, 350Z, GTO, Malibu's, HHR, Mustang GT....this is by far the better vehicle.

Just for the heck of it...I am 72 years young

Last edited by budda41; 04-18-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: describe veh
Ads by Google
Old 04-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 200 BMW Z3 2.5L
Never too young to own a BMW Z.

Got mine at 18 years old.

Welcome to the club/forum!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0si
Good for you budda41. I got mine at age 61 and I get younger every time I drive it.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher blind View Post
good for you budda41. I got mine at age 61 and i get younger every time i drive it.
+1
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 2.5
Got my Z4 last year, and I thought I was the oldest on here. Im 68 so a few have me beat.
Maybe they should have a special section for us oldies, so we can enjoy our cars more.
Hmmm, maybe best way to get in and out of the car with the top up? lol
It is great to see others in my age category, thanks for posting your ages.
accent
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0: six speed
63 here. Got mine last year after going through years of withdrawal symptoms after giving up SCCA racing when the kid was born. Not that I have tracked the Z4 (yet), but just driving again is a pleasure. Just out of curiosity Buddha1, where did you put those spots? On the ouside rear views? Or somewhere else? I have thought of going to the same mirror that I had racing, the multi-panel one that mounts where the stock unit goes. Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4
I am still trying to/ learning how to use BIMMERFEST....but to answer your question...I put the spot mirrors on the exterior rear views...I installed them on the outer portion of the mirror. Believe me, they do work well.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Blind View Post
Good for you budda41. I got mine at age 61 and I get younger every time I drive it.
I was also 61 last July when I bought my Z4 M Roadster.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster
Hey budda, I'm also 72. Got my Z4 4 years ago. It helps keep me feeling young!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:17 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda41 View Post
I am still trying to/ learning how to use BIMMERFEST....but to answer your question...I put the spot mirrors on the exterior rear views...I installed them on the outer portion of the mirror. Believe me, they do work well.
To reply to a specific question that someone asks you, just click the "Quote" button on the right hand side of their post and it will look like this post with the original post quoted above your answer.

I had small aspherical spot mirrors on the outside lower corner of the side view mirrors on my S2000. I have some for my M Roadster but I like the design of the ones I put on the S2000 better although haven't been able to find them.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
Got my Z4 M Coupe at 57, am 60 now, love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accent View Post
Hmmm, maybe best way to get in and out of the car with the top up? lol
It is great to see others in my age category, thanks for posting your ages.
accent
My top is always up, and I am old, fat and out of shape. I have found that the best way in is to put my right foot in, put the heel of my left hand on the U-shaped strike loop for the door latch, lower my $$s near the seat, then slide in and fight that left leg over. Have worn a hole in the rubber gasket that seals the inside of the bottom of the door, but that system works for me.

But, once you get in, you have your little piece of Heaven!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 2.5
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the technique.
Yes, you're correct, the getting in is worth all the trouble.
So is the look on my wife's face as i put my right foot into the car and ease my a** into it.
I am not really wearing out any parts (car parts anyway) with my technique of getting into the car.
This is only the second car Ive owned that I smile the whole time I'm driving.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Just got my 2005 Z4 for 64th birthday. Love driving it! I also like the idea of having a Seniorbimmer forum.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Shore Thing View Post
Just got my 2005 Z4 for 64th birthday. Love driving it! I also like the idea of having a Seniorbimmer forum.
Count me in. Age 69, got my 2003 Z4 two and half yrs ago.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 03 z4 2.5
got mine 10 years ago at 56, both me and the car still going strong.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Back to the original OP post.

Put the top down and you have NO blind spots. Also, if you adjust the mirrors PROPERLY, then you also have no blind spots either.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
The modern recommendation for eliminating blind spots is to adjust your mirrors outward. You should not be seeing the rear corners of the car while driving.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

To do this, first put you head against the door glass and adjust the driver's door mirror so you can just see the rear corner of the car. Then put you head in the center of the car and adjust the passenger mirror so you can just see that rear corner. Done.

Then, as you are driving, you have a continuous view behind you, the lane to the right, and the lane to the left. When you need to maneuver, such as during backing, just move your head a little to see the rear corner of the vehicle.

I recently had someone change lanes into mine inches in front of me. As I followed him, I realized that I could see his face in all three mirrors, which meant that they were all pointed to the same place behind him. That's why he didn't see me next to him.

Last edited by Blacklane; 06-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i
Z4 2005

Count me in ! I will be 65 in October (here comes Medicare!). I purchased a 2005 Z4 four years ago and do nothing but smile when I am driving it. My wife does not understand this obsession.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
Put the top down and you have NO blind spots.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
Also, if you adjust the mirrors PROPERLY, then you also have no blind spots either.
Not quite. If you are backing up and needing to scope cross traffic or if you are coming to an angled intersection, the mirrors are of no use. The soft top totally blocks your view from about 100-160 degrees (measured clockwise from the driver's seat).
Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 2004 Z4 2.5
I am a new Z4 2004 owner....I just love mine.But, I have had my expansion tank changed 3mos ago.Due to it leaking.But, I am still smelling coolant.I have been told the radiator passes pressure test.Does anyone have any clues,what else it can be.Every month the coolany light goes on for me to top off that overflow?Help!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
If your expansion tank now passes the pressure test, then you need to look at something else.

I had this same issue on my 03 (minus the tank), where I had to add coolant every few weeks. What I had was the O-rings in the lower hose was leaking when at operating temperature. It did not leak as water, but as a small amount of STEAM. Then, two months later, I had to replace the upper hose and the coolant temp sensor for the same indications. All of these things have an O-ring. You cannot just buy a new O-ring from BMW. BMW wants you to buy the whole hose. You can independently source new METRIC O-rings and just replace them. Many other components have O-rings also, like the drain valve among others.

The hoses are very easy to replace. They all have 'fast release' couplings....

BMW's have a weakness in the cooling system. They just don't last. Just deal with it and move on. Normally, you just replace the coolant tank and all the hoses at the same time.

http://www.shipkiller.com/Cooling_System_M54.html

Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8L
Sorry to revive this old thread... Anyway, I don't really have a problem with blind spots. I actually removed the windshield rear view mirror and adjusted the side mirrors a little inward to check for any cops lighting me up.

But I've been riding a Yamaha R1 for years, so I'm used to look over before moving sideways. On a bike you learn fast that the mirrors can't be trusted more than 50%.
As for the rear, I have a problem obeying the speed limit...
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: '08 z4 osi
I am 66 yrs young and as a woman, the getting out of the car is not a graceful move...but who cares! if they were lucky enough to even have a z4, they would understand!! I got my z4 (2008) this april...I call it my 'scream and shout ' car!! music screaming...I'm in heaven!!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '08 z4 osi
ok, shipkiller,
i'm the lady that had trouble getting top up a couple of months ago...got that corrected...that little red thingy was pulled out...now after months of heaven...it ndid it again tonite!! not in a very good mood! since you're th go to person, what do you think that's all about?

also, my clock on the radio is showing strange symbols...any thoughts? this car 2008 z4 is far more smart than i'll ever be...
Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 & 1976 TR6
Good morning all
Newbie here. Got my '04 Z4 last April at 60 and what folks have already posted is definitely true; it keeps me young and it's not that hard to get in and out of although it is harder than getting in and out of my TR6. I always get the feeling I'm strapping it on and can drive it all day with a big silly grin. It's by far the best car I've ever owned or driven and I've driven pretty much everything except the super-expensive exotics. I'm thinking the previous owner was probably "wide-bottomed" because the side bolster where one's bottom meets the seat on entering the car is all scuffed and the padding has completely shifted. I am not that big at 5'10" and 185 but I do notice additional wear over the last 16 months where my narrow bottom contacts the side on entry. Anybody else experiencing "bottoming out" issues? Anybody know a way to fix that padding without removing the seat and spending a small fortune? Love the idea of a senior's section on the forum. On the mirror issue, my right mirror fell off and shattered in the driveway. the dealer wanted about $275 for the glass mirror only so I had a glass shop cut and bevel a replacement for $35. Only problem was I was not vigilant enough and the guy put heavy globs of adhesive behind the mirror so it didn't seat as flush as the driver's side and the mirror heater does not do the job in cold weather, but for $35 I'm ok with it. Other than that, an airbag code generated by a dead battery and a mass airflow sensor duct needing replacement the Z4 has run flawlessly since purchase and yes, I did drive it in the winter but not in adverse conditions during which I simply left it in the driveway. It's good in snow when needed though - sometimes driving home in snow after work is unavoidable.