Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI, sport package
N62B44 to S63B44 swap compatibility

So, guys. As with any car I start to mod. I start to daydream "bigger and better" and after searching for a few light cosmetic mods I started eyeing engine codes.

the S63 is, according to wikipedia (I know, I know), simply an update of the n62 platform built for by the M division with open application for forced induction and was produced from 2010 on resulting in a jump from 332 lbsft/333hp (n62b44) to 540lbs ft/547hp for the s63B44 engine (which is jammed into the 2010 X6M)

Now, support for bimmer coding is pretty well developed (Vishnu, Burger, Proceed, Turner, Manhart etc. ) and though none of them advertise anything pertaining to engine swaps, with the similarities between the n62 and the s63 and the fact that both the vehicle classes these engines belong to speak the same program language it should be feasible to do a direct swap complete with map/chip/harness for the ECU which would result in a:

BMW 645ci WITH A SOLID 540LBSFT/547HP.

Furthermore, with Manhart Racing's chip for the s63b44 we could, theoretically, have a:

BMW 645ci WITH 800HP!!

Yes, I know, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH ENOUGH MONEY.

Having built a 666-666 Supra from hell on pay from two jobs and an allowance from highschool (lol). I'm huge on both innovation and frugality when it comes to modding. I've always hated the concept of just throwing cash at a goal to make it happen where a little research and a little more work could have resulted in the same or better outcome.

That said, this mod wouldn't be cheap. But after looking at the big chunks, it may not be TOO expensive to be doable by the average bimmer owner either. I've compiled a small list of the big chunk (high dollar items/labor) which is as follows:

-n63b44 engine itself: 6-8k (used or pulled from a wreck without need for extensive repair)

-harness construction: 1-2k (may be possible to pulled from an x6M but unsure. May not be necessary but I'm willing to bet it would be to keep everything functioning and happy)

-ECU coding work/tuning: 1-2k (may be more, may be less depending on the difficulty associated with combinging Turbo open coding with SMG coding. Keep in mind that this has already been done for the n62 (Ess supercharger flash)

-Engine swap labor: 3-5k (this will be expensive. I'm not guessing 5k expensive, but not cheap unless some DIY is done beforehand)

At first, I was sure this would be a 10k+ mod, but it may be possible for less or right around that mark depending on how cheaply you can get yourself an S63b44u...AAAND if you're willing to put stickers on your car for some sponsorship. The most encouraging factors are the similarities between the two engines and the wealth of ECU modders out there who specialize in BMW. Discouraging factors are, of course, that this hasn't been done yet

references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
The project would be interesting, but the numbers look a bit high. There is quite a bit of coding for basic modules, but I am not sure about the performance mods? There are a few supercharger kits available, but their numbers are no where near 500HP. Twin turbos would probably create 500hp, but the compatibility of programing all the modules could be very expensive. If you could accumulate all the parts at a good price, you could always sell them off later & recoup your money.

I would think that a LSx swap would be more realistic, & probably be a lot cheaper. There was a thread on this around 6 months ago, but I don't know of the progress?

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
The project would be interesting, but the numbers look a bit high. There is quite a bit of coding for basic modules, but I am not sure about the performance mods? There are a few supercharger kits available, but their numbers are no where near 500HP. Twin turbos would probably create 500hp, but the compatibility of programing all the modules could be very expensive. If you could accumulate all the parts at a good price, you could always sell them off later & recoup your money.

I would think that a LSx swap would be more realistic, & probably be a lot cheaper. There was a thread on this around 6 months ago, but I don't know of the progress?

Good Luck!

I shoulda clarified, my apologies.

The s63b44 puts out 547hp/500lbs ft. as a stock unit. It's the engine from the X6m. So the coding for the engine would naturally come from the X6M ECU, which, in and of itself is easy and free to get.

The coding issues would most likely come from adding that engine info into the standing 645ci, overwriting the standard engine management coding.

Even this shouldn't be very hard because other companies like ESS have already coded in custom coding for FI which is infinitely more buggy than the OEM stuff, at least during the R&D phase.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Interested to see the responses!

Kevin W
IN
07 550i; 08 650i (and love both!)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
Anything is possible....even a V12!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
Anything is possible....even a V12!

That is awesome! The exhaust sounds brutal.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Haha that's pretty awesome. Though I'd never lodge a v12 in there when I could
Make 800lbs ft off four less cylinders. He's not gonna get to the next corner any faster than me
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Your money would be better spent building a Twin Turbo kit for your current engine.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Your money would be better spent building a Twin Turbo kit for your current engine.
Actually I disagree whole heartedly. While I may be able to achieve the same power for slightly less money. The n62b44 was not built with forced induction in mind from factory. While BMW has a habit of throwing turbo's on engines and calling it good (see: 335i) they do at least test those engines before putting them on he market. Since the s63b44 is the m divisions version of the n63. It's essentially head and shoulders above the n62 model in terms I strength and durability. Furthermore it's purpose built for FI. Furtherfurthermore I can get a warrantee that covers my engine without the hassle of an "mod warranty" and furtherfurtherfurthermore the s63 is, according to manhart racing anyway, capable of over 600hp/lbsft which I would trust anyone modding the n62 to boast. Finally, why mod an engine that's old when I could get an upgraded version that comes with all the mods I want?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
I love these HP threads...always glad to see someone thinking about gaining more power. I'm just waiting for the usual reply "Just buy an M6". lol
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2modfast View Post
I love these HP threads...always glad to see someone thinking about gaining more power. I'm just waiting for the usual reply "Just buy an M6". lol
Nah, I'll pass. Im an underdog kinds guy. I'm also a big fan of more power from less engine. I'd have gotten a 635d if I could have. Besides apparantly I could get more power going this direction as opposed to going for the M.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 AM

The key item going into the forced induction is, the rods need to be built for the extra boost. Low compression pistons ( 9.1 ) are almost always installed in these types of motor, but the rods are the must item. With a standard rod with any boost above 10psi, the rod is put at risk under the boost. I agree that twin turbo's would most likely be your best option, since BMW is moving that direction for most of their new cars. I still think that the LSx engine would be the easiest & cheapest mod for your car. Parts for the LSx engines are cheap & available for almost any car. The power gains are unbelievable for these engines.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The key item going into the forced induction is, the rods need to be built for the extra boost. Low compression pistons ( 9.1 ) are almost always installed in these types of motor, but the rods are the must item. With a standard rod with any boost above 10psi, the rod is put at risk under the boost. I agree that twin turbo's would most likely be your best option, since BMW is moving that direction for most of their new cars. I still think that the LSx engine would be the easiest & cheapest mod for your car. Parts for the LSx engines are cheap & available for almost any car. The power gains are unbelievable for these engines.
However the lsx is not a BMW engine. It's not going to work correctly with a BMW ecu which means a standalone ecu is required and THAT more than likely means that my nav won't function or my heated seats or my stereo or anything else. So while it may be somewhat easy to swap in It's definitely not going to be easier to get running and Nowhere near as cheap to mesh with all my luxury items in the car.

Keep in mind the s63 is BUILT FORforced induction. So it has he internal strength for it. You guys really need to read the whole post before replying.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Most forced injection engines built from the factory, will not tolerate much if any extra added boost! The will throw a rod out the block very fast, if the engine is not tuned properly. It's your project, your way, & with your money!

So enjoy!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Most forced injection engines built from the factory, will not tolerate much if any extra added boost! The will throw a rod out the block very fast, if the engine is not tuned properly. It's your project, your way, & with your money!

So enjoy!
Most, true. But bimmer seems to do things a little differently. I'd refer you to the 335i Cinderella story where they pull 100hp from it with just a chip. Plus. I wouldn't really be interested in much more than the stock 547/500 the engine puts out from
Factory. At the most 600 to make m6 owners cry. Those numbers are borderline street unusable so anything more is really just fr bragging rights which I have no interest in.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e63
everything can be done!!