Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335i
Help: '07 335i overheating after 5 minutes of ownership

Folks,

This is an awful way to join a forum. I bought a used '07 335i today & was stranded on the interstate 5 minutes after driving from the dealership. Luckily I drove it home after it sat awhile to cool off. Not cool!

I've read up on the engine heat issues. I had already planned to purchase a lower tempt tstat from Berger, but not as a fix to an actual issue. It's a beautiful ride and I'm taking it back to the dealership 1st thing tomorrow.

I'm coming from a Subaru WRX, so bear with me, but the WRX engine runs at about 195-200 degrees F. This 335i is pegged at (what I gather) is 240 degrees F during the test ride, and earlier today. The temperature graphic appeared in the gauge cluster + an audible alarm went off & then the car shut off. The temp at that time was only a mm or 2 hotter than what I'm calling 240. I'm assuming each tick is 10 degrees. Probably way off but looking for assistance. It's a cool car, all black sedan with a 6 speed MT.

Once I calm my nerves I'll post some crappy IPad photos.

TIA for any assistance or guidance. Never had a purchasing experience go wrong. FWIW, I engaged the DTC button on the dash a few minutes before the overheating alarm, bells & whistles went off. My car does have the oil cooler, but this would be a coolant temp issue...of what I know.

Matt
Ads by Google
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
You probably need a new water pump, though it could be the thermostat. My water pump went at 75K miles. I would have questions for whomever sold you the car as they may have known of this problem. Mine was covered under extended warranty...
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
If it did that 5 minutes after leaving the dealership, take it back and have them fix it. Used car or not, the car was faulty when you drove it off the lot.

I used to sell cars. The LEAST you should expect is for them to reduce the bill for repairs....like you pay the labor, they buy the parts. (They get the better of that deal.)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
If by "240 degrees" you're referring to the gauge on the lower right (bottom of the tach), you're looking at oil temperature, and it will be nailed to 240 most of the time after a 20 - 25 minute warmup period. Coolant temperature is not displayed in a 3-series, but should run at 190-210 if you're reading it through the OBD port.

Big point to note: if you get a temp alert, stop. NOW. If the water pump has left the building, you have almost no time before you overheat to the point of killing the engine. You may be experiencing intermittent under-speeding of the pump. That should be considered a prelude to complete failure.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
And here's a response after only reading the title:

"Take it back"

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys. Much needed info.

I took it out for about an hour and couldn't get it to act up, then I retraced my steps & recreated the situation that caused the temp alert: I turned the DTC on. The alarm went off within 5 minutes or so.

Are there limits with DTC, like not to go over 60mph?

The car drove fine the whole time, both city & interstate, then the dreaded alarm went off 5 minutes after turning DTC on. Our area saw many inches of rain fall today, every second the car has been in my possession today it's been pouring rain.

EDIT: For the long haul, would installing the low temp tstat & an all aluminum fmic be worthwhile? My WRX had a badass inter cooler. I know they help fundamentally. Hopefully this 335i has only minor issues, guess I'm asking a general question about the twin turbo engines.

Matt

Last edited by StLmatt; 04-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I'm not aware that deselecting DTC will cause any overheat symbol. You never said if this was a BMW dealer or used car dealer. If the car runs fine DTC off then drive it that way while you investigate why DTC causes this because it should not.
A failing water pump has been mentioned so either it is tstat and or water pump is failing and it is coincidence or related.
Advice is to drive the car allowing DTC to do its job while you seek an answer...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLmatt View Post
Folks,

This is an awful way to join a forum. I bought a used '07 335i today & was stranded on the interstate 5 minutes after driving from the dealership. Luckily I drove it home after it sat awhile to cool off. Not cool!

I've read up on the engine heat issues. I had already planned to purchase a lower tempt tstat from Berger, but not as a fix to an actual issue. It's a beautiful ride and I'm taking it back to the dealership 1st thing tomorrow.

I'm coming from a Subaru WRX, so bear with me, but the WRX engine runs at about 195-200 degrees F. This 335i is pegged at (what I gather) is 240 degrees F during the test ride, and earlier today. The temperature graphic appeared in the gauge cluster + an audible alarm went off & then the car shut off. The temp at that time was only a mm or 2 hotter than what I'm calling 240. I'm assuming each tick is 10 degrees. Probably way off but looking for assistance. It's a cool car, all black sedan with a 6 speed MT.

Once I calm my nerves I'll post some crappy IPad photos.

TIA for any assistance or guidance. Never had a purchasing experience go wrong. FWIW, I engaged the DTC button on the dash a few minutes before the overheating alarm, bells & whistles went off. My car does have the oil cooler, but this would be a coolant temp issue...of what I know.

Matt
I have a 2007 328xi and have had a similar issue. If I run the car hard or get on it too often it will go into limp mode. I have figured out that my coolant boils when this happens, so I always have extra in my trunk, and just pull over and open the hood for about 5 minutes, then the car is fine.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM

The car is off to a BMW service center.

I purchased it through a local Acura dealership. Stick shift cars are rare in our area & my only other option was an overpriced 335i in California. They knew right away the car had issues beyond their ability to resolve.

Hopefully the next few days are painless but we'll see. The dealer is also the area's Lexus dealer as well, reputable but not a BMW dealer. So far they have been great and appear to be accepting full responsibility for the maintenance issues.

I'm having issues w/door locks as well. Half the doors won't lock & the other half won't unlock. None of the 3 keys I was provided do much except open the trunk & lock 1/2 the doors. The dash mounted lock/unlock button does nothing. Hopefully this is some oddball setting I stumbled into & can be reset.

And it could be an issue with the center dash mounted buttons. Both have failed or caused other issues as engaging DTC causes overheating to the point of shutting down.

It's a bitchin ride other wise. I really appreciate the feedback.

Assuming the car is not a lemon, my long range plan involves replacing the stock radiator & fmic to cool things down, plus the low temp oil cool tstat & any other sensible cooling upgrades. Wrapping the turbos in PTP blankets for example might be fun. St. Louis was over 105 degrees F last summer, 40+ days in a row. I don't plan on modding for power, aside from ecu tuning. Just sold the Accessport from my WRX, had no clue the 3 series version is 2x the cost. A fun intro to BMW I guess (pay up!). This is a company car for me & bigger turbos, crazy exhaust or suspension cannot occur. I can correct some quirks though, where better than oem performance is beneficial. A big Koyo radiator & Perrin big TMIC made a world of difference on the WRX, even with that puny stock TD-04 turbo.

Crappy IPad pics in an HID lighted garage. Will post better ASAP.

Last edited by StLmatt; 04-19-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Sorry brother... Hopefully they do right by you the engine is a stud when its working and once you throw some mods on it you'll basically get a brand new car ontop of that good performance. Stick it out and you'll only view this as a minor speed bump.

Don't take S* from them though if their is a problem make them fix it!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Dealership, you say?

BMW dealership?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The car is off to a BMW service center.

I purchased it through a local Acura dealership.

Ah.

Do what ya gotta do, but if you'll read codes you'll have a much better idea what's happening.

Or, WAG that puppy. Water pump.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 PM

PRE-OWNED VEHICLE ADVISORY

In the world of 2+ owners, professionals know: Never bother to fix a car, just SELL it.

Give a 30 day warranty if the punter asks. Fix whatever - most don't come back during the 'warranty' period.

Of course, in your case, you could hardly not protest - few experience total failure.

Did that reputable Acura dealer mention at all why the previous owner is into another ride? Food for thought, laddie.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
EDIT: For the long haul, would installing the low temp tstat & an all aluminum fmic be worthwhile?
You have an aluminum intercooler; aftermarket ones are only a bit larger and don't offer much performance improvement.

There is only one coolant thermostat available for BMW engines: the oem one. It's electrically controlled and is designed to run the engine right at the edge of hot, for efficiency's sake. Question is: do you even have an oil cooler that a Berger tstat will operate (oil cooler is not a standard feature.)

DTC allows more wheelspin; however the rear brakes are still used (Google ADB - automated differential braking) to simulate a LSD. Extra stress on drivetrain and brakes.

Last edited by floydarogers; 04-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM

I had an Accessport on my previous car, a WRX. Not interested in logging coolant temps on day 1, though either an AP or the software noted above and a JB would be fun. Hopefully BMW fixes everything. I have faith in the dealership too, plus the car came with a 12 month engine & power train warranty and we purchased an additional $4K extended warranty with excellent coverage.

It's interesting how products like the JuiceBox seem so popular compared to pro tuning with a dyno & Accessport, which is prevalent w/Subaru's. Lots to learn...

Edit: Thanks Floyd. There are 2 tstats being mentioned, sorry for the confusion. 1) The engine coolant tstat might get replaced on my car. 2) Burger Tuning sells an oil cooler tstat to replace the oem, allowing the engine to run a bit cooler. #2 probably isn't necessary. What about a larger capacity all aluminum radiator? Glad to hear the aftermarket fmic don't provide much benefit.

Last edited by StLmatt; 04-19-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to fusion540
Mein Auto: e92 335i
I have an '07 335i E92 and no issues, but for the oil temp at 235ish, but that's normal. If there are mods I should make at this point (73K miles) I'd be interested to know.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:08 PM

The local BMW service centers are swamped due to the battery cable recall, took nearly a week for them to troubleshoot my cars problems.

They found a blown fuse which caused the doorlock issues, and burped the coolant system of any air bubbles to take car of the overheating. I picked the car up this morning at 11:30am, and it overheated on the interstate & shut down by 11:45.

The Acura dealer I purchased it from did the right thing & bought it back today...we didn't have to go through all the hassles to invoke the lemon law, luckily. Tomorrow I'm headed to Plaza Motors BMW to test drive another '07 335i, a silver coupe w/6 speed. This one is a CPO, from a BMW dealer. Hopefully round II turns out better!

FWIW - After letting my car cool down I drove it to a BMW dealer close to my work. They were amazing, and confirmed that the computer said an air bubble existed, but they physically could not find it. They think the water pump is going out, and also told me there's green coolant in the car...not BMW spec.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Glad to hear the Acura dealership did the right thing! If you haven't already you should post the name of the dealer; good honest dealers are hard to find.

Take your time finding your replacement. If you want the 6MT wait it out and one will come along.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM

I purchased the car from Mungenast Acura in St Louis & had it looked at today by Newbold BMW in O'Fallon, IL. Both were great at handling an unfortunate situation.

I was not told which St. Louis BMW dealership inspected the car & replaced the fuse. I hope to find this out tomorrow though, as they didn't do the best job (according to Newbold BMW).
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
Thanks for posting on this. I am going to used car dealers in search of my BMW (here in St Louis) and this tells me Mungenast and Newbold are good people. Plaza seems to be better than some of the other dealers. We used Jay Wolfe for husband's Z4 and Bommarito Honda for our X3. I saw some black 335is there-good luck!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM

I'm headed into Plaza to meet with Bob Salzman this afternoon. He used to be our area's top BMW salesperson, and my folks have known him for about 20 years.

I might also stop by Autohaus as its close to me, though their online inventory doesn't excite. Will definitely look up Jay Wolfe.

FWIW - due to our family business we've been buying nice cars a long time in St. Louis from Newbold, Mungenast, Plaza & Suntrup BMW (when B Salzman was there).
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
I am heading out with spouse to look this morning. In my opinion Suntrup BMW has *ahem* changed since I looked there several years ago.

Thanks for the heads up on Newbold and Mungenast, will go there.

I may try to talk to Mr. Salzman this week and tell him what I am looking for. Plaza has a 3 story parking garage FULL of cars in for repairs and those they bought and are readying for sale. I was there at closing last night (with a salesman, otherwise off limits). Drool-worthy.

And after that, hitting Schlafly or Urban Chestnut-I will need it.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Definitely talk to Robert Salzman, oh man is he good. Plaza has a good feel to it as well. Not snobby, but attentive & clean. I had no clue where to park, all their lots are a mess of woven asphalt. But once inside everything settled in nicely.

Rich Guzman is the sales guy at Newbold bmw in O'Fallon that helped me. Best of all was their service dept who sprang into action even though I had never been there before & didn't pay for their diagnosis...within a 20 minute walk-in visit.

The only other dealer I want to check out is Autohaus, mainly because its close to my home & friends recommend it.