Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: '01 e39 530i
E39s: my ex and my new one

I never showed you my ex 523i (I think this engine doesn't exit in the US, but if a 2.5l M52), and haven't showed you my new 530i.
So, I'll do this, I hope you'll like it.

Sorry if you don't understand me very well sometimes, and please tell me if it happens (so that I can improve my english skills too )

First of all, I'll introduce me:
i'm a young french boy (20 years old), studying transportation and logistics in Strasbourg, north eastern France.
I've always loved cars, but not bimmers. When I began to look for a car, I didn't want to buy one of these, because here, youngs in BMW aren't good seen (well, that's what I thought). I feared to have to deal very often with the police, and to look like what we call here a "kéké" (a show-off man).
I work part time (my compagny pays my formation and pays me too), that's why I can afford cars like these. Don' fear it, I don't ask any cent to my parents.

The 523i was my 1st car, bought for a misery (2100€, approx 2800$). It had 166k miles as I bought it.
Had not so many stuffs in it: black leather manual seats, alarm, sport chassis, auto dip mirrors, servotronic, and that's it. Colour was arctissilber.
But I liked it!
Then, the gearbox broke down (current fault with the S5D250G). OK, nice. I could still drive it with the "broken" gearbox, so I did this. Then, with the time, the servotronic was coming to death too.Other big problem... And finally, my head cover gasket die too, causing an oil leak. That was too much for me, I didn't want to continue spending money in it, so I bought a new one.
That was a bit hard got me, because I spent time in it (fitted comfort heated and active seats, leather dashboard, door panels, middle console, black headliner, styling 32 rims, ...)
Before introducing it, a few pictures of my 523, first when I bought it:

Speeding it on german highway:

And styling 32 17":

Comfort seats fitted in

Black headliner, leather middle console and lower dashboard

No pictures of the doorpanels and upper part of the dashboard, I'll make some saturday.

And then, my current car, a 530i, manual too.
Bought in Munich, 3700€ (approx. 5100$), 141k miles.
Really better stuffed: sport electric heated and electric seats with memory, heated wteering wheel, electric steering column, 16/9 navigation, hifi option, alarm, still the sport chassis, folding rear seats, glass sunroof, ... Colour is Oxforgreen, rims are styling 42 17". The exerior will stay exactely as it is.
I want to fit xenon automatic headlights, rainsensor, and that's it. I'll maybe buy styling 32 17" for the winter tires, but not this year.
Somes pics:
Under the BMW Welt:

Parked in front of it

Once more on the german highway, once more speeding, coming back home:

Finally, parked with my old 523i

'01 530i M54B30
Oxfordgreen, beige inside with black upper plastics, sport heated electric memory seats, heated steering wheel, 16:9 mk3 satnav, glass sunroof, sport chassis, alarm

Last edited by nomilk; 12-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Both look good.
I kinda confuse about the pkg on the new one. Sport seats with sport pkg wheel (style42), but non-sport steering wheel (4-spoke ) and no shadowline. And the orange Celis taillights look different for sure. Tan interior in the US comes with brown dash (ugly IMO)

03 DINAN 540iA M-Sport (For-Sale http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-540iA-M-Sport)
01 //M5 (soon to be For Sale)
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

Last edited by tmvE39/E53/Z32; 12-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Thank you!
For the pkg, itīs simply because in Germany there are no pkg in fact you just choose the options you want, and they put it in. You can have for instance incredibly well stuffed 740s with all you can imagine... Excepted leather, even if you choose comfort active heated seats. Sometimes we can see strange choices on german cars. They don't even have cruise control as standard! In france there are just 3 levels: "base", pack and luxury. On the e39 there were some special editions too (for instance one with part mussle wood, part piano black wood, and more chrome, called "edition").

About the taillights: for me, yours look strange too in fact itīs the european model, and you have us models. Headlights are a bit differents too. If you look carefully, the lower dashboard is different between us and euro models (i don't know why).

At least, tan interior are most of the time with upper dash brown in europe too. But we could choose between black or brown upper dash. Itīs strange that you couldn't...
And I 100% agree with you: brown dash is ugly (and make it look older)!

'01 530i M54B30
Oxfordgreen, beige inside with black upper plastics, sport heated electric memory seats, heated steering wheel, 16:9 mk3 satnav, glass sunroof, sport chassis, alarm
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540/6 2014 328xdT
Nice cars, nice pics, funny English! But damn man, if you're gonna redline the things on the Autobahn, quit trying to snap blurry pics, you'll end up in that scrap iron pile you parked in front of!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Very well stuffed indeed.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:33 PM

Thank you!
That's actually not me who took the pictures of the redlines, but friends.
The stunning thing with the 523 is that itīs not limited by the engine, but by the gearbox: I hit the rev limiter at 240kmh. And the 530 was not at top speed.

That ain't the nirvana, but thatīs quite comfy

'01 530i M54B30
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
Why does Germany get to have all the fun when it comes to options

Nice ride!

The black trim and black dash looks great with the beige interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomilk View Post
If you look carefully, the lower dashboard is different between us and euro models (i don't know why). !
I would love to do the euro dash conversion, but it's so hard to find ebay sellers who have 1) the 4 dash pieces, 2) the under panel / steering wheel pieces, and 3) Will ship to USA

Found it

"There was a reason, although I'm not sure how "good" it was. It was based on the assumption that Americans don't wear seatbelts. While the vast majority of adults wear seatbelts, drivers between the age of 16-24 do not. Last year, 28 percent in that age group did NOT use seatbelts, which is an improvement over 2002 when 35 percent did not. Most new BMW drivers are above that age group and seat belt usage is much higher.

The purpose of the bolstering was to prevent submarining of an unbelted 170 pound male crash test dummy during a frontal collision. This was a USA-only test administered by the NHTSA and the intial results of the early E39 were not promising. As a "patch" BMW added the unsightly bolstering and installed the bloated glove box door on the American models. This would allow the unbelted crash dummy to be trapped by the knees and prevented from sliding under the dash, instead pivoting around his shattered knees into the airbag.

The additional bolstering of the lower dash on the North American version of the E39 has nothing to do with protecting knees or pevis. In fact, the first two years of manufacturing (1996/1997) of the E39 for the USA market was done with a metal cage covered by a skin of grained plastic. I certainly wouldn't refer to it as "additional dash padding". It wasn't until 1998 that BMW switched to high density foam to support the driver's side bolstering. One could argue that the 1997 & early 1998 E39 models were more dangerous than the European models because of this metal cage beneath the skin of the lower dash.

I have always said that if you do not wear your setbelts, you should not consider the Eurodash conversion. But if you are smart enough to buckle up, then there's no advantage to the loss of 6" of knee room. I don't think you are putting yourself at risk by doing a Eurodash conversion.
"

For Sale:
1 Set of Piano Black E39 Trim $155 [Click]
--Note: (I can wrap Set #3 in gloss or brushed finishes)
1 Pair of E38 OEM Black rear Foot Rests $65 [Click]

Last edited by Dking078; 12-18-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Don't know in France, for a Grand Cherokee SRT8, we have absolutely no option available. Maybe itīs different in the US?

OK, now I know why I have to say that I find the US dash a bit ugly... Itīs pretty sad, because the interior of e39 are maybe a bit sad, but very nice to look at, and very, very well made

'01 530i M54B30
Old 12-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e39 530d
Nice bimmers, especialy the 530i
Nice to see someone from europe on this forum too )
Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Thank you!

Yes, it's gonna be hard to organize a meeting between the EU members! :lol:

'01 530i M54B30
Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Hi all,?

I got a question to ask you all: what is, you think, the best rims for the winter tires for my e39?
I'm thinking to styling 5 or styling 32, both in 17". Or maybe you have a suggestion for me? (only e39 rims, no more than 17")

With its actual styling 42:

Styling 5:

Styling 32:

I like both of them. Styling 32 would be a bit less expensive as styling 5. And maybe more practical, because polished aluminium is doen't like salt I guess :P

'01 530i M54B30

Last edited by nomilk; 12-22-2013 at 12:54 PM.