Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,703
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
BMW Connected / BMW Apps Significant Update Available



Just out in the App Store.

Will put it through its paces today.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Clepto Clepto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 122
Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30
I think you should test out the improved Facebook and Twitter functionality to post your updates/impressions (;
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Trying it out now, still seems like we're a great distance away from good functionality here. The facebook and twitter stuff looks a bit like 80's computers compared to the "regular" content we get on phones and tablets/desktops. News and calendar are somewhat useful but it's 10x easier to just access all that info on your phone - even while driving (if you absolutely have to). Apart being generally slow mine goes to this screen often and from there all you can do is shut it down and restart (while the iDrive screen is asking you to log in to twitter with the external device, go figure)... When it finally loads accessing the content is neither intuitive nor nearly interactive enough to make any sense (can't click the links on twitter/facebook - obviously. Can't comment or post anything other than silly preconfigured messages ("driving around in my bmw, it's 68F outside" - really?!?!) I appreciate that bmw is trying to stay current but unless I'm missing something here I don't believe a lot of people will find themselves using the current BMW Apps on a daily basis. Other opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366389924.661098.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	372131  
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Ok, update: so far IMHO web radio is the only part of it that makes sense!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Clepto Clepto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 122
Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Can't comment or post anything other than silly preconfigured messages ("driving around in my bmw, it's 68F outside" - really?!?!)

LMAO - at least it doesn't insert your GPS coords also (;
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM
408Racer's Avatar
408Racer 408Racer is offline
Life in da fast lane!
Location: Santana Row
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto View Post
LMAO - at least it doesn't insert your GPS coords also (;
Hahaha....although I wish MyBMW Remote will report my car coordinates regardless of distance. Just for those times like when I'm out of town, I valet it, or let my gf use it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,880
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
The main take out of this update here is that BMW Apps finally grouped all the "BMW Apps-supported" apps within itself. Meaning -hopefully- no more selecting Pandora at the iPhone as a separate app, for example. It should be selectable at the iDrive as is Web Radio or Facebook.

The "hopefully" part is that none of those external "BMW Apps-supported" apps have been updated yet to use this new, unified BMW apps.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM
sr5959 sr5959 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,269
Mein Auto: 328i F30
Wonder who will be the 1st person to crash while trying to get apps working while the phone is in the cradle...useless!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,703
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
This thing still sucks.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Pappy Pipes Pappy Pipes is offline
///M Sport
Location: So Cal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 428
Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Thanks BJ.
__________________

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Metalusmc Metalusmc is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
This thing still sucks.

BJ
Makes ne glad I passed on the BMWAPPs option lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM
shag shag is offline
conf t
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
BMW Connected / BMW Apps Significant Update Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
This thing still sucks.
I'm not surprised.

One thing I would LOVE to check out is the next-gen NBT nav's interaction with Apps, BMW Internet/Online and the whole ConnectedDrive thingy.

Methinks the user experience should be a LITTLE bit better under the new head unit, but I'm not expecting a miracle.

There is, after all, a suggestions button in the app, should we feel the urge to complain to the Germans about their ****ty integration.

I'm only taking that package because of the internet radio feature, dual microphones & Assist/Send-to-car. Maybe they fixed Office too?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 AM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I'm not surprised.

One thing I would LOVE to check out is the next-gen NBT nav's interaction with Apps, BMW Internet/Online and the whole ConnectedDrive thingy.

Methinks the user experience should be a LITTLE bit better under the new head unit, but I'm not expecting a miracle.
Works about the same as the CIC unit. Big difference is the speed of the NBT. VERY fast. No delay in scrolling, moving between menus, starting playback, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
I don't see compatible apps like Pandora showing up, and it still doesn't task switch. When I try to open my weather app, for instance, it still disconnects BMW Connected.
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
OK, having test driven this, i can see absolutely no difference in this supposedly 2.0 update. I even went into the About portion of the app and it confirms it is 2.0. Am i missing something?
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
OK, having test driven this, i can see absolutely no difference in this supposedly 2.0 update. I even went into the About portion of the app and it confirms it is 2.0. Am i missing something?
Nope, you are dead on.

I really wish that they would just retrofit a ipad mini as their CIC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Grau5 Grau5 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8 Sport
Hey Guys,
Just reclaimed my Mineral Grey sport line with DHP, etc, the works, from Euro Delivery. Sooo happy. In any case, I agree that the really only good thing is the Web Radio. It is pretty sweet. BJ, etc, one new aspect is the ability to send feedback on the app, which I encourage all of you to do. I did so last night and got an auto reply from a real live BMW engineer from Germany! So, if enough of us bug this guy, maybe, just maybe he'll get this up to basic performance like not shutting the app down when you get a phone call, or want to task switch. Have a great weekend, all!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM
apw2607 apw2607 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The main take out of this update here is that BMW Apps finally grouped all the "BMW Apps-supported" apps within itself. Meaning -hopefully- no more selecting Pandora at the iPhone as a separate app, for example. It should be selectable at the iDrive as is Web Radio or Facebook.

The "hopefully" part is that none of those external "BMW Apps-supported" apps have been updated yet to use this new, unified BMW apps.
Exactly. This update is actually a BIG deal. That's the main failing of the platform and if they have figured out how to fix app switching like most of the other manufacturers then this apps platform really might be worth it after all.

We've still got updates for rhapsody, tune in, glympse and audible to come too. I suspect the older apps need a update too to talk with BMWs connected own app.

Funny thing is I wrote to BMW connected 12 months ago suggesting this approach ... Finally.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,703
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Thanks BJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalusmc View Post
Makes ne glad I passed on the BMWAPPs option lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grau5 View Post

BJ, etc, one new aspect is the ability to send feedback on the app, which I encourage all of you to do. I did so last night and got an auto reply from a real live BMW engineer from Germany!
I got the Technology package for the real goodies like Nav and HUD and BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB & BT so I had low expectations for BMW Apps.

My hope was that as time went by this would blossom into something worthwhile with some really good integration. Maybe an app from Google with POI integration. Maybe Apple integration for Cover Flow. Maybe a Waze partnership for crowdsourced realtime traffic. Thought even a BMW app store might be possible with paid upgrades to maps, voice recognition, customization, that sort of thing. Was happy to have the feature for its future value.

What's becoming very clear is that this project was started in 2008 with the vision of what in-car apps would look like by 2012 and thus all we have is text on a screen that reads stuff to you because that's what the iPhone 3G was capable of. The new version of iDrive coming later in the year might handle things differently, might be good, I'm hoping my 2017 4 Series does this better.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Metalusmc Metalusmc is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I got the Technology package for the real goodies like Nav and HUD and BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB & BT so I had low expectations for BMW Apps.

My hope was that as time went by this would blossom into something worthwhile with some really good integration. Maybe an app from Google with POI integration. Maybe Apple integration for Cover Flow. Maybe a Waze partnership for crowdsourced realtime traffic. Thought even a BMW app store might be possible with paid upgrades to maps, voice recognition, customization, that sort of thing. Was happy to have the feature for its future value.

What's becoming very clear is that this project was started in 2008 with the vision of what in-car apps would look like by 2012 and thus all we have is text on a screen that reads stuff to you because that's what the iPhone 3G was capable of. The new version of iDrive coming later in the year might handle things differently, might be good, I'm hoping my 2017 4 Series does this better.

BJ
I got mine off the lot back in june last year and it was a no line with tech package, due to bmw's reliability I was given the chance to order a new one decised to do without the tech and only the nav. Really think it was enought for me and kinda glad I used the bmw apps allowance towards black sapphire. Is true what tou say, I though it would give me "toyota" apps functuonality but we are ways off from where it should be. It is cool but not as usuful :-( . 2017 it is lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 AM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The new version of iDrive coming later in the year might handle things differently, might be good, I'm hoping my 2017 4 Series does this better.

BJ
See post #13.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM
shag shag is offline
conf t
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
BMW Connected / BMW Apps Significant Update Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Works about the same as the CIC unit. Big difference is the speed of the NBT. VERY fast. No delay in scrolling, moving between menus, starting playback, etc.
You have an AH3? So that's why you have NBT. But do you have BMW Online/Internet? (6AK/6AR)

Not sure if these options are available in the US. I was wondering if web radio was available directly from NBT, since it apparently can have its own SIM...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
You have an AH3? So that's why you have NBT. But do you have BMW Online/Internet? (6AK/6AR)

Not sure if these options are available in the US. I was wondering if web radio was available directly from NBT, since it apparently can have its own SIM...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yes, I have the AH3 w/NBT.

6AK/6AR is not available in the US, but you can have it coded/activated. Web radio still needs your phone for the data connection.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
apw2607 apw2607 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
FYI. Rhapsody and TuneIn have now being updated and support the BMW apps platform. They are available now in the apps store.

Apps switching is now possible from within idrive between tunein, rhapsody and BMW connected currently. I imagine the old apps and the other new ones they recently talked about will also get updated.

Apps switching isn't seamless but its better than nothing.

Rhapsody is a big disappointment .... It only supports playlists rather than my artist, my album (on the cloud). Downloads are possible though.

Last edited by apw2607; 05-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 PM
mjsabin01 mjsabin01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
I tried to use TuneIn, but it didn't seem to work. When I launched it, it only showed the option to switch to another app.
__________________
2013 328i Sedan | Jet Black | Black Interior | Tech Package | Park Distance Control | Rearview Camera
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms