Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I can only add that this AT is, by far, the best automatic transmission I ever drove. Seamless shifts, when in proper setting nice downshifts while braking for the corner. Very unobtrusive and quiet. Most definitely the best AT out there that I had chance to drive.

Which is the same thing as saying that my kid is the top student in his class. Which happens to be the class of IQ challenged children. Or saying that Jane is the fittest girl of the group and has lowest BMI. The group of girls that just signed up for Weight Watchers.
I dont know (or care) what your problem is.

BJ and I are friends and I was merely pointing out . . . . . . .

Oh wait.

Never mind we did this already.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I dont know (or care) what your problem is.

BJ and I are friends and I was merely pointing out . . . . . . .

Oh wait.

Never mind we did this already.

CA

What? I said that AT is awesome!

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I had an F30 rental for several days and agree with all the opinions here. The steering, especially at low speeds, was insanely light. Reminded me of my parents old 1985 Chevy Celebrity. The interior was sporty and much more modern, but suffered from way too many cheap plastics. The ride quality was great and the car was a nice highway cruiser.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the headlights? Many of the rentals/loaners have the base headlights. So dim they were scary and flat out dangerous.

That said, comparing a loaded 335i to s stripper 328 really isn't fair. I'd be curious to see how many of these issues are solved on some better optioned models.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerbitini View Post
I had an F30 loaner for the three days (??) it took my dealer to replace the vent valve on the emissions system of my 135i. My impressions: I loved the 8 speed AT. It was smooth and quiet. I didn't like much else. Steering was what everyone else has said - too light and noncommunicative. I thought the interior looked and felt cheap. Way too much body roll, and the general handling was "soft". Worst of all... the car has gotten WAY too big. Side by side in the garage - it made my wife's 2011 E91 look small. I've already told several people that I'd never buy another 3 series. I hate saying that, but the F30 is not something we're interested in.
Was at the dealer during lunch today, they finally put Sport line on display, wanted to check out the new sport wheel feel, in process realized just how big the car has gotten. Does not look or feel like a mid-size sports sedan anymore. It's a family hauler.

Thinking of X1 M Sport (sDrive) now, I think it's might be the wagon I was hoping F31 would be.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Nothing less attractive than a bunch of grumpy used car owners.

That said, you're right about the body roll, the larger dimensions feel perfect after a month, the new AT is fantastic, and the interior is a nice upgrade. So far it looks like none of you have touched the Driver Experience Control, because if you did you'd say that Sport mode is a hell of a lot of fun.

Carry on, you out of style whiners.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Driving an F30 while mine gets the battery recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

That said, you're right about the body roll, the larger dimensions feel perfect after a month, the new AT is fantastic, and the interior is a nice upgrade. So far it looks like none of you have touched the Driver Experience Control, because if you did you'd say that Sport mode is a hell of a lot of fun.

BJ
Thank you for being our guinea pig as BMW pushes its current inventory in order to begin improving the F30's lifeless steering, ASS, and body roll. It's a sacrifice worth yawning about. Job well done, BJ.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Thank you for being our guinea pig as BMW pushes its current inventory in order to begin improving the F30's lifeless steering, ASS, and body roll. It's a sacrifice worth yawning about. Job well done, BJ.

First off, the F30 is breaking all 3 Series sales records so BMW has nothing to worry about. They're not catering to the enthusiast crowd anymore, guess you didn't get the memo.

The steering can be improved by hitting the Sport mode button, something you clearly didn't touch. And if the complaints about vague steering really got loud all BMW would have to do is push out a firmware update to correct it.

ASS is disabled in my car, all one has to do is request BMW to do a free firmware update.

Body roll is eliminated with the Sport line or the Dynamic Handling Package.

Test drive the right configuration, you'll understand. The classic 3 Series handling is no longer standard equipment; you have to pay for it now.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-30-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
The dealer gave me an X1 as a loaner (wagon = small SUV?).

I found the start/stop disconcerting. It felt like when I was learning how to drive a stick, many many years ago.

The engine is more responsive and the car feels quicker than I thought it would.

No sale without three pedals, but except for the start/stop feature, it wasn't bad.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
First off, the F30 is breaking all 3 Series sales records so BMW has nothing to worry about. They're not catering to the enthusiast crowd anymore, guess you didn't get the memo.

The steering can be improved by hitting the Sport mode button, something you clearly didn't touch. And if the complaints about vague steering really got loud all BMW would have to do is push out a firmware update to correct it.

ASS is disabled in my car, all one has to do is request BMW to do a free firmware update.

Body roll is eliminated with the Sport line or the Dynamic Handling Package.

Test drive the right configuration, you'll understand. The classic 3 Series handling is no longer standard equipment; you have to pay for it now.

BJ
The sport suspension was an extra cost option on the E9x.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:

CA

I thought it was standard on the E92?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I thought it was standard on the E92?
It was standard on the E92 but you had to order the sports package to get it on the E90 and E93.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:

BJ
IMO, the interior is a serious downgrade. Lot of cheap plastic, weird shapes and angles. Reminds me of the past gen C-class.

The interior and steering are the main shortcomings of the F30. Otherwise, it is a nice upgrade.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:

CA

You are missing my point.

The base suspension on the E90 gave you that legendary handling feel. Steering, suspension, cornering, it was all there. Standard equipment on every 3 Series since 1980.

With the F30, that legendary feel has been altered and softened. It is no longer standard with the car. You now have to add either the Sport line (RWD) or the Dynamic Handling Package (XDrive) to get it back. They would correctly view the F30 standard suspension as unusually soft, a bit floaty, and sense body roll. They would feel the steering is disconnected and vague.

So those who wind up with an F30 loaner aren't doing the F30 justice as they are enthusiasts who would pay the $1000 to get the spirited, firm handling back. They would then be amazed to find that the car is faster, has more torque, is loaded with features, has a very nice interior design, and still has the legendary 3 Series handling.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-30-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
IMO, the interior is a serious downgrade. Lot of cheap plastic, weird shapes and angles. Reminds me of the past gen C-class.

The interior and steering are the main shortcomings of the F30. Otherwise, it is a nice upgrade.
As a fellow E93 and E90 owner I can tell you that the interior materials are exactly the same. Same grade of plastic, same grades of wood, same semi-padded door and console materials.

As for the shapes and angles, I find them very reminiscent of the 6 Series which is drop-dead gorgeous. I always found the E9X interiors to be remarkably bland. The F30 interior is clearly the new BMW look for the next six years. So either get used to it or consider another brand.

Styling is a matter of personal taste. The quality of the materials is exactly the same. The handling is equal if one spends the money for a Sport line or the DHP. The size is something you get used to quickly. The new toys and gadgets are mind blowing if that matters to you. That about sums up what the new 3 offers.

BJ

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You are missing my point.

The base suspension on the E90 gave you that legendary handling feel. Steering, suspension, cornering, it was all there. Standard equipment on every 3 Series since 1980.

With the F30, that legendary feel has been altered and softened. It is no longer standard with the car. You now have to add either the Sport line (RWD) or the Dynamic Handling Package (XDrive) to get it back. They would correctly view the F30 standard suspension as unusually soft, a bit floaty, and sense body roll. They would feel the steering is disconnected and vague.

So those who wind up with an F30 loaner aren't doing the F30 justice as they are enthusiasts who would pay the $1000 to get the spirited, firm handling back. They would then be amazed to find that the car is faster, has more torque, is loaded with features, has a very nice interior design, and still has the legendary 3 Series handling.

BJ
I test drove both the base car and the sport package before I purchased the 335i. I definitely preferred the handling of the sport suspension, The base was very good but it wasn't great. Of course I had issues with the harshness of the sport suspension (which I rectified) so in a nutshell "legendary" or not it seems that BMW is still having an issue coming up with a good balance of ride and handling because with the technology available today excessive body lean is IMO inexcusable.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:

BJ
328...Entry level Bimmer blowing his horn kills me.F30 owners need a hood delete along with something other than that 4 sewing machine,Truth besides you need to be on the F30 side wrong forum Admiral.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
I test drove both the base car and the sport package before I purchased the 335i. I definitely preferred the handling of the sport suspension, The base was very good but it wasn't great. Of course I had issues with the harshness of the sport suspension (which I rectified) so in a nutshell "legendary" or not it seems that BMW is still having an issue coming up with a good balance of ride and handling because with the technology available today excessive body lean is IMO inexcusable.

CA
I actually think the F30 is closer to the optimal ride handling trade off than the E9x. The sporty versions of the F30 feel a lot less flinty to me than the E9x ZSP.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:

BJ
I admitted in my review that comparing a loaded E90 335i to a stripped-down F30 328 wasn't really a fair comparison.

That said, no amount of options can decrease the car's size. I couldn't stand seeing the bulbous hood in my line of sight.

Some of us who get old, fat and financially successful may enjoy throwing money in the toilet just to have a "new" car. The latest toy. The latest status symbol. Others of us just like to drive. And it's widely accepted that the smaller E90 is a better driver's car. I'd even say that many consider the E46 to be a better driver's car than the E90. I could easily afford a new F30 if I wanted one. But I don't.

BJ, why are you even in this thread? Aren't you too good to hang with us who are too poor to achieve your elite level of status? Better be careful you don't get caught in this forum. It might hurt your status.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I actually think the F30 is closer to the optimal ride handling trade off than the E9x. The sporty versions of the F30 feel a lot less flinty to me than the E9x ZSP.
Since the E9x sport sport suspension was not remotely close to an optimum ride handling trade off,

1. You are probably right about the F30 sport being closer to an optimum trade off than the E9x.

2, That is a minor achievement.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
I admitted in my review that comparing a loaded E90 335i to a stripped-down F30 328 wasn't really a fair comparison.

That said, no amount of options can decrease the car's size. I couldn't stand seeing the bulbous hood in my line of sight.

Some of us who get old, fat and financially successful may enjoy throwing money in the toilet just to have a "new" car. The latest toy. The latest status symbol. Others of us just like to drive. And it's widely accepted that the smaller E90 is a better driver's car. I'd even say that many consider the E46 to be a better driver's car than the E90. I could easily afford a new F30 if I wanted one. But I don't.

BJ, why are you even in this thread? Aren't you too good to hang with us who are too poor to achieve your elite level of status? Better be careful you don't get caught in this forum. It might hurt your status.
When I grow up I hope to be able to afford an F30.

At this point it does not seem likely that will happen (growing up).

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

You keep talking about the size of the F30 but it's a measly 4 inches longer than the E90 and the width is about the same. It weighs about 50 pounds more. It's picking nits although I agree on the hood but that is far from a deal killer. It's also something forced on BMW by regulations.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You keep talking about the size of the F30 but it's a measly 4 inches longer than the E90 and the width is about the same. It weighs about 50 pounds more. It's picking nits although I agree on the hood but that is far from a deal killer. It's also something forced on BMW by regulations.
Totally agree with you, Michael. The size of the F30 is a non-issue.

And, the long beak may be forced on BMW by the regulators but it still works. I think the F30 looks crisp and sporty.

Oh, and the more BJ posts here, the happier I'll be!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
We all have our reasons for what we drive, so I 'get' BJ's posts. His enthusiasm is entertaining though.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
We all have our reasons for what we drive, so I 'get' BJ's posts. His enthusiasm is entertaining though.
Yup!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:

Spag says it all