Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
328...Entry level Bimmer blowing his horn kills me.F30 owners need a hood delete along with something other than that 4 sewing machine,Truth besides you need to be on the F30 side wrong forum Admiral.
There's nothing 'entry level' about my $50,000 BMW, costs me more than your car that has a street value of $5,000 on a good day and is favored by freshman high school children.

I'm here to offer feedback if anyone wants it, not to enter a flame war.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
I admitted in my review that comparing a loaded E90 335i to a stripped-down F30 328 wasn't really a fair comparison.

That said, no amount of options can decrease the car's size. I couldn't stand seeing the bulbous hood in my line of sight.

Some of us who get old, fat and financially successful may enjoy throwing money in the toilet just to have a "new" car. The latest toy. The latest status symbol. Others of us just like to drive. And it's widely accepted that the smaller E90 is a better driver's car. I'd even say that many consider the E46 to be a better driver's car than the E90. I could easily afford a new F30 if I wanted one. But I don't.

BJ, why are you even in this thread? Aren't you too good to hang with us who are too poor to achieve your elite level of status? Better be careful you don't get caught in this forum. It might hurt your status.
It's not about status. That stuff is old, not interested anymore.

I thought that some realworld experience from someone who has owned E93, E90, and F30 automobiles over the past 7 years could shed some light on the differences. Nowhere is it widely accepted that "the E90 is a better driver's car". The E46 is the better drivers car; the F30 is the new version of the E90.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
There's nothing 'entry level' about my $50,000 BMW, costs me more than your car that has a street value of $5,000 on a good day and is favored by freshman high school children.

BJ
BJ,

Sorry to burst your bubble but your car:

1. Is older than Chop's
2. Has a lower street value.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Driving an F30 while mine gets the battery recall

I had a pleasure to test drive new offerings from BMW while my car was in the repair shop.
First was a 2013 X5 35i: I was quite surprised when I first started it up and moved it out of a garage - it had a heavy steering feel. The 8-speed automatic was absolutely smooth, and driving that truck around felt like a match made in haven. It's the car I can see driving when I grow up.
The next one was a 2013 Z4 28i sDrive. The car had the n20 engine and 8-speed automatic with paddle shifters. Once in the cabin and get it moving I could turn the steering with one finger - putting it in sports mode tighten it up a bit. Now that car screamed drive me like a sports car, and the 8-speed automatic is an element that should've never been offered in it, the novelty of using paddle shifters wore off pretty quickly and it became a boring middle age crisis mobile stuck in D. The trunk was big enough to fit the shovel protruding into the cabin through the ski compartment. I had that car with summer tires during the snowstorm, so it was kinda fun until you get to the point that summer tires in low temperatures don't mix, that's why they are called summer tires
The last car from the BMW current stubble was a 2013 X3 28i with the N20 and the same automatic transmission. The little truck felt less stable than the X5. The body roll was more pronounced, and the light EPS was not helping it.
So until I grow up I will continue enjoying my E90 with a 6-speed manual.
I hope by the time that happens and I will part with the E90 BMW will introduce an enthusiast version of the steering in non-m devision cars.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:

BJ
Hey chump just bought a 2013 "Is" and by no means blowing my horn like yourself yeah I could have purchased your sewing machine for a lot less but chose not to and yeah 50k or not that is an entry level Bimmer so live with it...Jokes on you little fella.Imagine spending 50 on a 328?? BMW found another sucker for sure now go cry to Mommy
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BJ,

Sorry to burst your bubble but your car:

1. Is older than Chop's
2. Has a lower street value.

CA
Thanks captain..This guy is a clueless clown
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Took my car in to my dealer yesterday for the battery cable recall and a 4-wheel alignment. For my loaner (scheduled last Friday) they gave me an '11 328 sedan which was unwashed and covered with dead insects from an obvious freeway trip, and containing less then 1/4 tank of gas. I'm satisfied with the work done on my car, but the loaner was a definite come-down from previous service appointments. To exact revenge, I brought it back just about empty. So there!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I had similar experience with more then 5 different 328i loaners with no sport pkg. The driving experience is more muted and dull. The steering lacks in feel or feedback. The 328i engine even though strong on power and good on gas does not sound good. It sounds rough and not sweet like the inline-6.

Oh and I hate the jerky start and stop tech. Only thing good is a bit more room in back seat and gas mileage. I also felt like the interior felt a bit cheaper and basic with plastic material not having the more upscale feel to it.

I could not wait to get back into my car. I am a bit sad that BMW is losing its direction with all these new BMW's making them more soft core and losing that edge that made them the ultimate driving machine. They do not realize that if I wanted a dead or muted car I would buy Lexus. They need to make cars more true to BMW DNA and not some insulated, muted garbage.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 04-30-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Hey chump just bought a 2013 "Is" and by no means blowing my horn like yourself yeah I could have purchased your sewing machine for a lot less but chose not to and yeah 50k or not that is an entry level Bimmer so live with it...Jokes on you little fella.Imagine spending 50 on a 328?? BMW found another sucker for sure now go cry to Mommy
I will try to post through my tears of laughter.

Never mind can't do it.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
I had a pleasure to test drive new offerings from BMW while my car was in the repair shop.
First was a 2013 X5 35i: I was quite surprised when I first started it up and moved it out of a garage - it had a heavy steering feel. The 8-speed automatic was absolutely smooth, and driving that truck around felt like a match made in haven. It's the car I can see driving when I grow up.
The next one was a 2013 Z4 28i sDrive. The car had the n20 engine and 8-speed automatic with paddle shifters. Once in the cabin and get it moving I could turn the steering with one finger - putting it in sports mode tighten it up a bit. Now that car screamed drive me like a sports car, and the 8-speed automatic is an element that should've never been offered in it, the novelty of using paddle shifters wore off pretty quickly and it became a boring middle age crisis mobile stuck in D. The trunk was big enough to fit the shovel protruding into the cabin through the ski compartment. I had that car with summer tires during the snowstorm, so it was kinda fun until you get to the point that summer tires in low temperatures don't mix, that's why they are called summer tires
The last car from the BMW current stubble was a 2013 X3 28i with the N20 and the same automatic transmission. The little truck felt less stable than the X5. The body roll was more pronounced, and the light EPS was not helping it.
So until I grow up I will continue enjoying my E90 with a 6-speed manual.
I hope by the time that happens and I will part with the E90 BMW will introduce an enthusiast version of the steering in non-m devision cars.

Have you learned nothing Little Grasshopper?

I think it has been very graphically demonstrated to you what an "old man" can do with a paddle shifted car.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-30-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Today, I got to drive a no-line F30 328 xDrive sedan while my 2011 335i xDrive coupe was at the dealer for the battery cable recall.

Yup, the steering is light, but that didn't bother me too much. What got me was the thinness of the non-M Sport steering wheel. The thing is paper thin -- even thinner than the standard steering wheel on our 2010 535i xDrive wagon. Because the circumference is so small, most of what you feel is the stitching -- not a pleasant experience.

I didn't like the 328 engine per se -- you could hear the squirrels running like mad on the squirrel cage when accelerating -- but I absolutely admire the engine designers' skill given their development constraints: create a peppy engine that offers high MPG. The way the thing moves is impressive when you mash the pedal.

While the material quality may be the same as my E92, the patterns of the material are coarser, giving an air -- to me, at least -- of being cheaper. Also, I think some of the interior design is bling -- I like the calmness of my E92's interior.

On the plus side, I think the F30 nav is better, and the ride is softer; I wish my E92 ride weren't quite as harsh.

Overall, not a terrible car, but also one I wouldn't buy. I'm hanging on to my E92.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
First off, the F30 is breaking all 3 Series sales records so BMW has nothing to worry about. They're not catering to the enthusiast crowd anymore, guess you didn't get the memo.

The steering can be improved by hitting the Sport mode button, something you clearly didn't touch. And if the complaints about vague steering really got loud all BMW would have to do is push out a firmware update to correct it.

ASS is disabled in my car, all one has to do is request BMW to do a free firmware update.

Body roll is eliminated with the Sport line or the Dynamic Handling Package.

Test drive the right configuration, you'll understand. The classic 3 Series handling is no longer standard equipment; you have to pay for it now.

BJ
I drive a 5GT which also has the same electric steering and adjustable suspension modes (i.e Normal, Sport, Sport+), I guess you didn't read my signature! Next time, pay attention.
The point is, even in Sport+, while heavier, the steering still feels somewhat disconnected from the road. Unlike you, I'm willing to call my baby ugly, grow a pair and do the same.

I too, need a hood delete, but "it is what it is" since the wife loves the car.
The GT and F30 have their bright spots. I don't think you do.

Off you go now.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
Today, I got to drive a no-line F30 328 xDrive sedan while my 2011 335i xDrive coupe was at the dealer for the battery cable recall.

Yup, the steering is light, but that didn't bother me too much. What got me was the thinness of the non-M Sport steering wheel. The thing is paper thin -- even thinner than the standard steering wheel on our 2010 535i xDrive wagon. Because the circumference is so small, most of what you feel is the stitching -- not a pleasant experience.

I didn't like the 328 engine per se -- you could hear the squirrels running like mad on the squirrel cage when accelerating -- but I absolutely admire the engine designers' skill given their development constraints: create a peppy engine that offers high MPG. The way the thing moves is impressive when you mash the pedal.

While the material quality may be the same as my E92, the patterns of the material are coarser, giving an air -- to me, at least -- of being cheaper. Also, I think some of the interior design is bling -- I like the calmness of my E92's interior.

On the plus side, I think the F30 nav is better, and the ride is softer; I wish my E92 ride weren't quite as harsh.

Overall, not a terrible car, but also one I wouldn't buy. I'm hanging on to my E92.
You could help rectify the thin steering wheel issue by installing a lace on cover. I have had them on a few cars in the past and if installed properly they can be a nice addition.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Your status says you own a 2010 335 M-Sport which would have been better news for you.

Sadly, you just purchased the last model year of a design that's 8 years old so anyone can (and will) make the same mistake. I see high school girls in E92's every day.

BJ

Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i

Quote:
Have you learned nothing Little Grasshopper?

I think it has been very graphically demonstrated to you what an "old man" can do with a paddle shifted car.

CA
Indeed it was on the track though. it's kinda difficult and impractical to make BQE my personal track

Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Your status says you own a 2010 335 M-Sport which would have been better news for you.

Sadly, you just purchased the last model year of a design that's 8 years old so anyone can (and will) make the same mistake. I see high school girls in E92's every day.

BJ
Girls drive F30s in our local HS. I went there today to shoot the breeze with one of my son's old coaches. I saw 4 F30s in the student parking lot and this was about an hour after school had let out.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Evil cider brewer

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:

BJ
The fact that the E92 design is far superior to your new 328 even after 8 years says a lot about it. I would put my 3 year old car up against yours any day bud, even though I didn't spend near what you did for yours. More money doesn't always equal better.
I initially felt that you had a good argument for the merits of the new 328 against the 335, and it would seem to be a viable choice depending on what you are looking for in a vehicle, but in your latest posts you come off as an arrogant, condescending ass, the very type of ass-hat that I take pleasure in ripping a new a-hole when I see you on the street.
Since we will probably never meet IRL, I guess I'm gonna have to hunt down a new 328 to take my aggression's out on, and with my tune it will be a massacre. It will be satisfying knowing that I own a car that I've invested so little in compared to your 'rattle-trap' , that will run circles around it.
But you just stay in your delusional little bubble that you've created about how superior you are with your $50,000 "Ultimate Driving Machine"!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:

BJ
"Mr. Sales person could you buy my 328 back they're all making fun of me" Sucker!!Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	374086

Last edited by Chop362; 04-30-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:

If there'd been more slots available, Diane would have been first in line for another demo!

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
If there'd been more slots available, Diane would have been first in line for another demo!
She'll get another chance at this years Fall Foliage Run. We are definitely not inviting Sandy this year.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
She'll get another chance at this years Fall Foliage Run. We are definitely not inviting Sandy this year.

CA

I'm getting many more charity laps this year, armed with a dashboard bracket for my iPhone and plenty of paper bags on hand!

Sideways Simon doesn't fool around!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
She's already looking forward to it, as she's bummed we can't make it to the CTTC this year.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
BJ
People have always said they found your humorous, BJ. I find the above statement hilarious. In fact, it's the first time you've ever made me laugh.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
She's already looking forward to it, as she's bummed we can't make it to the CTTC this year.
Here is a sample of what she has in store.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 PM

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-04-2013 at 09:46 PM.