Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Hurricane in Florida - Need urgent North Fort Myers info

A member in our local german board has lost contact to his inlaws. Does anyone know the situation in Fort Myers, FL ?

Is there a hotline to get info ?

I'd be glad if you could help.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 02:55 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
A member in our local german board has lost contact to his inlaws. Does anyone know the situation in Fort Myers, FL ?

Is there a hotline to get info ?

I'd be glad if you could help.

Thanks
One of my best friends lives there. PM me some info and I'll try and call him and see what's up.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 08-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
Red Cross maybe.They probably are alright just without power or time to check in.Fort Meyers did not get hit Square,still bad enough.We are waiting to hear from a friend that went to his new bulkheaded canal house in Punta Gorda Thursday to make sure his Sailboat that he just moved there 2 weeks ago was secure. So long as everyone stayed away from mobile homes hopefully they'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
Alex, you might try the emergency number listed towards the bottom of this notice.

HURRICANE CHARLEY UPDATE

Please be advised that pursuant to a Declarationof a State of Local Emergency issued on August 11th, the Town of Fort Myers Beach, along with the Fort Myers Beach Fire Control District, has ordered a mandatory evacuation of Estero Island and the surrounding Fort Myers Beach Fire Control District

We are urging residents and property owners to use this time productively in their efforts to secure their property and then leave the immediate area prior to Friday's anticipated landfall of Hurricane Charley. The immediate threat from Hurricane Charley at this time would appear to be significant storm surge which could dramatically affect flood prone areas within the District.

Until further notice, access to and from the area will NOT be restricted for residents and property owners actively involved in the process of securing their property or evacuating. All other vehicle traffic to and from the island is discouraged.

At some future point, as events dictate, access to the area will be terminated.

For further information, please stay tuned to your local news and radio stations or you may call the Lee County Hotline at (239) 477-1900.

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:39 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Cant get a hold of my friend so 'm of no use here. I hope they are all OK.

Old 08-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Ex-Dictator

Thanks a lot. I've forwarded the info
Old 08-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Code 66

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you, Alex.

Like the others said, hopefully they are just out of power.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Fort Myers was not hit that bad, but there are a lot of telephone lines down, etc.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 08-14-2004, 04:25 PM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZ4
Fort Myers was not hit that bad, but there are a lot of telephone lines down, etc.
Are cell's also out? I can't get through to anyone. How's your sis by the way?

Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
they're fine, the storm pretty much missed them, if she had followed my advise and gone to my parents house she'd have been right in the middle of it

It's really a conundrum, you can't really predict how the weather may shift the path, but it's not realistic to evacuate the whole state either at a minimum people need to have a storm shelter or reinforced room, just like in a tornado area

anyways I couldn't through to her until today and she wasn't even in a bad area, it's not that cell phones don't work, the lines are tied up with everybody trying to call down there for the same reason, but some cell towers are down too

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 08-14-2004, 05:08 PM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
they're fine, the storm pretty much missed them, if she had followed my advise and gone to my parents house she'd have been right in the middle of it

It's really a conundrum, you can't really predict how the weather may shift the path, but it's not realistic to evacuate the whole state either at a minimum people need to have a storm shelter or reinforced room, just like in a tornado area

anyways I couldn't through to her until today and she wasn't even in a bad area, it's not that cell phones don't work, the lines are tied up with everybody trying to call down there for the same reason, but some cell towers are down too
I guess you picked the right time to be wrong! Glad to hear that everyone is ok. Best of luck to your folks.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
And the phone circuits are overloaded.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Ex-Dictator

OK, he has managed to contact the inlaws.

House is pretty damaged, the garage too. They were spending the hurricane in their own basement. In an attempt to secure stuff in the garage, father-in-law was struck by flying debris and got badly injured. He's in the hospital at the moment. Mother-in-law is safe.