Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 85 535i
Exclamation No brake pressure at any wheel.

Well, as i was attempting to replace pads and rotors, I realized that i had a stuck caliper piston so i thought well it pushed in hard. Took off of lift pumped brakes, spongy pedal. So my first thought that caliper is not coming back out its probablly stuck. I replaced the suspect caliper, no fluid form the line? The wheel with no fluid is the RF, So i went to ABS Block cracked the line no fluid. Tried to vacuum bleed no fluid. I belive the master cylinder is bypassing internally? Has anyone had similar issues. I may have ruptured the seal after pushing calipers in. Also a side not i got rid of the ABS block i dont want ABS, No need not a winter driver. If someone has a helpful hint or can comfirm my suspisions let me know please its my daily the winter beater is sold already so if i cant figure out soon im going to have to buy another Bimmer. I love this car so ne help would be awesome also i am a mechanic so i knew to check for external leaks there is none so before this becomes a novel good day fellow fanatics. Durp Durp car is 85 535i hydroboost car.
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoadbmw85 View Post
Well, as i was attempting to replace pads and rotors, I realized that i had a stuck caliper piston so i thought well it pushed in hard. Took off of lift pumped brakes, spongy pedal. So my first thought that caliper is not coming back out its probablly stuck. I replaced the suspect caliper, no fluid form the line? The wheel with no fluid is the RF, So i went to ABS Block cracked the line no fluid. Tried to vacuum bleed no fluid. I belive the master cylinder is bypassing internally? Has anyone had similar issues. I may have ruptured the seal after pushing calipers in. Also a side not i got rid of the ABS block i dont want ABS, No need not a winter driver. If someone has a helpful hint or can comfirm my suspisions let me know please its my daily the winter beater is sold already so if i cant figure out soon im going to have to buy another Bimmer. I love this car so ne help would be awesome also i am a mechanic so i knew to check for external leaks there is none so before this becomes a novel good day fellow fanatics. Durp Durp car is 85 535i hydroboost car.
Either a bad master cylinder, or you still have air trapped in the system. Vacuum bleeding doesn't always work if there is an obstruction or alot of air. Old contaminated fluid can solidify and make proper bleeding impossible, See if you have pressure at the master and work your way out from there.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 85 535i
No brake pressure at any wheel.

Thanks for the help trying to figure out a way to test the pressure, I don't have gauges.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoadbmw85 View Post
Thanks for the help trying to figure out a way to test the pressure, I don't have gauges.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You should be able to rig something up that would help you confirm that there is pressure from the master. Even if you plug the brake fluid outlets, it will help you determine whether youir problem is in the brake lines or master.