Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
vehicle check and oil service leads to costly repairs

The vehicle check and oil service light came due on my idrive and so I scheduled an appt to bring my car in. While there, I told my SA that I also got the battery recall letter in the mail and they said they had to confirm it before adding it to the work order. They did confirm it and it was added. I also mentioned that the rubber seal on the top of my windshield is cracking and the rubber seal on the bottom of my rear window is sagging. Lastly, I asked if they do a brake inspection during this vehicle check and he said yes and so I asked if they can pay attention to my rotors because I'm at 87k miles and I haven't had my rotors replaced.

Fast forward to the next day and I'm following up on my car and it turns out that my oil pan is leaking and the mechatronic sleeve is leaking.

They ended up replacing my rear rotors, pads, and sensors. The idrive said I had 10k miles to go but when I got the write up, it said I had 2mm left and left rotor was at 19.8mm and right rotor was at 19.6mm with minimum being 20.4mm.

The quote on the windshield rubber seal was $240 and the rear rubber seal was $100. I choose not to do them because he said they're mainly cosmetic rubber seals and don't actually seal water from the car. If this is not true, please let me know if the guy was blowing smoke up my wazoo as I don't have a reference to know if this is true or not.

I also got my wiper blades replaced.

I do have a question about the transmission sleeve write as it says that they added part number 83 22 2 220 445 The description reads TF 1375.4 - 1L with a qty of 2. I'm assuming this is the transmission fluid and I'm assuming the 1L is 1 liter. Can anybody confirm?

Luckily, I have the extended warranty so my out of pocket was a $50 co-pay. For all of those people that are wondering if they should get an extended warranty, use my post to confirm for you that you must absolutely get an extended warranty if you plan to keep your car for a long time. My extended warranty has probably paid for itself twice if not three times at this point. The SA said the transmission sleeve was about $1k and the oil pan leak would have been over $1k to repair. I've some people post on here that their SA said something around $1800 for the oil pan repair. Yikes!

Advertisement
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Is the vehicle check covered under cop? I have it in 3900 or is it just 50 bucks.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Is the vehicle check covered under cop? I have it in 3900 or is it just 50 bucks.
That should be. The repairs to the oil pan and transmission sleeve is what the $50 co-pay was to cover.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
The quote on the windshield rubber seal was $240 and the rear rubber seal was $100. I choose not to do them because he said they're mainly cosmetic rubber seals and don't actually seal water from the car. If this is not true, please let me know if the guy was blowing smoke up my wazoo as I don't have a reference to know if this is true or not.

Perspective: [click here]

Believe rear's essentially same. Am I wrong?

Name:  Think 04.gif
Views: 178
Size:  4.9 KB
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I guess it depends on how much braking you've used. Does the brake sensor wire only get tripped when the pad has 0mm left?
Rear rotors replaced at 143k miles.
I wonder if the dealer ever do work to make extra money that's not necessary.
If you only have extended warranty (and not maintenance), it should not have covered for the rotors, pads, sensors, wiper blades.

Last edited by fb88; 05-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
I guess it depends on how much braking you've used. Does the brake sensor wire only get tripped when the pad has 0mm left?
I haven't had my rotors replaced at 141k miles.
I wonder if the dealer ever do work to make extra money that's not necessary.
If you only have extended warranty (and not maintenance), it should not have covered for the rotors, pads, sensors, wiper blades.
I have both extended warranties and before it expires, I also plan on having them replace my spark plugs since they're supposed to be replaced every 45k miles per the manual. There have been lots of discussion on this topic but I pointed this out to them at 45k miles and at first they were not going to do it but when I showed them the manual, they went ahead and did my spark plugs.