Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 PM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Should I buy a 335i?

Hey everybody,

I was planning on selling my 2007 G35, buying a 2007-2008 335i and eventually tuning it to around 400whp. The plan was to install methanol injection, castless DP's, exhaust, upgraded intercooler, oilcooler and chip it with the JB4 but after doing some research I'm starting to become skeptical. When it comes to a performance car I'm okay with spending $2000-3000 a year on maintenance and repairs, however it seems like it could end up costing considerably more, especially seeing how I will be voiding my warranty and driving my car very hard. When I researched the cost of these potential future repairs I was surprised: "http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605631".

Based off of the information I've provided, do you think I should buy the 335?


Thanks guys
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM
mi803 mi803 is offline
Registered User
Location: New South Wales, Australia
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2008 320i E90 Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
Hey everybody,

I was planning on selling my 2007 G35, buying a 2007-2008 335i and eventually tuning it to around 400whp. The plan was to install methanol injection, castless DP's, exhaust, upgraded intercooler, oilcooler and chip it with the JB4 but after doing some research I'm starting to become skeptical. When it comes to a performance car I'm okay with spending $2000-3000 a year on maintenance and repairs, however it seems like it could end up costing considerably more, especially seeing how I will be voiding my warranty and driving my car very hard. When I researched the cost of these potential future repairs I was surprised: "http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605631".

Based off of the information I've provided, do you think I should buy the 335?


Thanks guys

I was looking at the 335i at one stage planning to modify considerably. Most of what you stated above was something I was desiring to complete. I became skeptical after researching costs per year. You are right, I was told by several SA's that the figure would be far north of $5000.00. I backed out pretty quickly. I was happy to pay around 4Kish yearly, as I was going to be putting the car through its paces and as you say, voiding warranty.

In the end, this is a decision that you will ultimately have to make, however if you are worried about the cost figure being in excess of $3000.00, this may not be the venture for you.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2013, 12:48 AM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Thanks mi803. What a bummer! It really sucks that these cars fall apart like potato chips even at low mileage. If only BMW were to resolve their reliability issues!

Any other input is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,211
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
lol I am now starting to see why some get so agitated answering the same questions over again (we've got like 3 threads on-top at the moment asking nearly the same question) a flash tune and fmic can put you at 400 lol

FYI the mods you listed would be about 2.5-3.5k and you'd be well over 400hp more like 500+hp

THere are people running 20+pounds of boost on the stock turbos and logging serious miles.

Bottom line you could drive that car off the lot and blow a turbo on your first WOT and get a turbo repair bill for 3-9k depending on the shop.

with some e85 and mods you listed.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 04-20-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2013, 04:42 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,840
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
what Warranty, if you purchase any BMW over 4 years old there is no Warranty, except for the HPFP and the turbos have 100K mile warranty, unless you buy an aftermarket warranty and it doesnt cover maintenance
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,211
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
what Warranty, if you purchase any BMW over 4 years old there is no Warranty, except for the HPFP and the turbos have 100K mile warranty, unless you buy an aftermarket warranty and it doesnt cover maintenance
cpo will pick up major stuff (but all the nickel and dime complaining one can do under the 4 year plan is gone) and if you un hook mods and clear everything you can get stuff fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
I was planning on selling my 2007 G35, buying a 2007-2008 335i and eventually tuning it to around 400whp. The plan was to install methanol injection, castless DP's, exhaust, upgraded intercooler, oilcooler and chip it with the JB4 but after doing some research I'm starting to become skeptical. When it comes to a performance car I'm okay with spending $2000-3000 a year on maintenance and repairs, however it seems like it could end up costing considerably more, especially seeing how I will be voiding my warranty and driving my car very hard. When I researched the cost of these potential future repairs I was surprised: "http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605631".

Based off of the information I've provided, do you think I should buy the 335?

A list that will, should anyone experience all, lead to insanity.

My personal maintenance need over the past 12 months: One [1] oil change.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi803 View Post
I was looking at the 335i at one stage planning to modify considerably. Most of what you stated above was something I was desiring to complete. I became skeptical after researching costs per year. You are right, I was told by several SA's that the figure would be far north of $5000.00. I backed out pretty quickly. I was happy to pay around 4Kish yearly, as I was going to be putting the car through its paces and as you say, voiding warranty.

In the end, this is a decision that you will ultimately have to make, however if you are worried about the cost figure being in excess of $3000.00, this may not be the venture for you.

For one time mod expense, yes. For ongoing cost, should you -or anyone- be happy spending the above sum, please PM for Waterboy's Lifesaver Afterwarranty Maintenance Program!

Yup, the LAMP program I represent covers you like no CPO ever will! Just think of it - new car warranty coverage for an 'officially' out-of-warranty BMW for the low, low price of just $4,000 per year!

BMW owners, I implore you - do not suffer even a day without full protection. PM for bank routing info!


Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb up 04.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	372278

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 04-20-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
Based off of the information I've provided, do you think I should buy the 335?

Food for thought and yet another reason to install meth.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Joe in Dublin Joe in Dublin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dublin, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 335ic
I think you should buy a late 60's early 70's 350 chevy powered car. then u can mod it up to 400hp and spin those wheels. if you have to fix something i wont be too pricy. make sure u have roll up windows and no ac. no abs, no airbags, no turbos, nothing modern. u will get around 12mpg but you will have reliable hp.

Last edited by Joe in Dublin; 04-20-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin View Post
I think you should buy a late 60's early 70's 350 chevy powered car. then u can mod it up to 400hp and spin those wheels. if you have to fix something i wont be too pricy. make sure u have roll up windows and no ac. no abs, no airbags, no turbos, nothing modern. u will get around 12mpg but you will have reliable hp.
Or I could buy a 911 that doesnt fall apart like phyllo pastry!

So many BMW owners feel like unreliability is inevitable because BMW produces superior machines, and that one must buy a Prius to not have a vehicle that fails so often that many users fear leaving town with it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,324
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
Hey everybody,

I was planning on selling my 2007 G35, buying a 2007-2008 335i and eventually tuning it to around 400whp. The plan was to install methanol injection, castless DP's, exhaust, upgraded intercooler, oilcooler and chip it with the JB4 but after doing some research I'm starting to become skeptical. When it comes to a performance car I'm okay with spending $2000-3000 a year on maintenance and repairs, however it seems like it could end up costing considerably more, especially seeing how I will be voiding my warranty and driving my car very hard. When I researched the cost of these potential future repairs I was surprised: "http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605631".

Based off of the information I've provided, do you think I should buy the 335?


Thanks guys
This....

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
Thanks mi803. What a bummer! It really sucks that these cars fall apart like potato chips even at low mileage. If only BMW were to resolve their reliability issues!

Any other input is greatly appreciated
....makes this quite possibly the most stupid post ever posted to Bimmerfest.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-20-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This....



....makes this quite possibly the most stupid post ever posted to Bimmerfest.
I know hey! So damn stupid to inquire on the actual rate failure for these faulty componenets from people who own the vehicle to get a general idea of how much annual ownership would cost.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Joe in Dublin Joe in Dublin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dublin, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 335ic
Bmws are reliable in the hands of a adult. If u boost it up, dont change the oil every 5k, let it warm and cool down u will have issues. Porsches are built to a higher level hence they cost more..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,211
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
Or I could buy a 911 that doesnt fall apart like phyllo pastry!

So many BMW owners feel like unreliability is inevitable because BMW produces superior machines, and that one must buy a Prius to not have a vehicle that fails so often that many users fear leaving town with it.
Lol I got my 335i for dd/ mod potential I'd never cross shop a 335i and 911 albeit the only Porsches weve owned and I'd buy are turbo s variants.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Lol I got my 335i for dd/ mod potential I'd never cross shop a 335i and 911 albeit the only Porsches weve owned and I'd buy are turbo s variants.
I was just pointing out that higher end performance cars are not bound to unreliability though the vast majority are.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 AM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin View Post
Bmws are reliable in the hands of a adult. If u boost it up, dont change the oil every 5k, let it warm and cool down u will have issues. Porsches are built to a higher level hence they cost more..
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...our-experience)

I dont feel that boosting and a lack of oil changes are responsible for the lack of reliability
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM
ProfessorCook's Avatar
ProfessorCook ProfessorCook is offline
Not a real doctor.
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,648
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
The 328i is a very reliable car. A 335i had problems with the turbos but AFAIK, those issues have been largely resolved.

Whenever you mod a car to boost horsepower, or if you drive it harder or on worse roads than is typical, you are putting higher stresses throughout the car than were originally anticipated by the engineers. Factors of safety used in the design allow the cars to stay together, even at the higher stress levels, but the margin between longevity and imminent failure is compromised. Any car stressed to higher levels than the design levels can expect to suffer ongoing maintenance problems. BMW parts are more expensive, yes, so maintenance costs are higher, but the cars are not unreliable.
__________________



'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 AM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
The 328i is a very reliable car. A 335i had problems with the turbos but AFAIK, those issues have been largely resolved.

Whenever you mod a car to boost horsepower, or if you drive it harder or on worse roads than is typical, you are putting higher stresses throughout the car than were originally anticipated by the engineers. Factors of safety used in the design allow the cars to stay together, even at the higher stress levels, but the margin between longevity and imminent failure is compromised. Any car stressed to higher levels than the design levels can expect to suffer ongoing maintenance problems. BMW parts are more expensive, yes, so maintenance costs are higher, but the cars are not unreliable.
Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact that owners only post issues when they are having them. A user will be more likely to post his experiences on the forum if he is having issues. This is why I created this thread, to try and accurately predict how often components will fail if the car is driven hard.

I have no issue with replacing parts more often because I drive the car hard, that is why is said I was originally expecting to pay $2000-3000 on repairs a year which would seem astronomical to most. I am just worried that that figure will more be likely be over $5000 a year.

I own a G35 that is pushing 280 whp whereas stock in only dynos 180-200whp on the dynojet, so I raised the intended power of the vehicle by about 40% and Ive freaking beat this thing up for the last 30K. I launch at every light, shift above 5000 rpm, drive extremely hard for periods of 2 hours at a time and the only repair costs have gone towards replacing components such as the clutch, brakes long before their time. These are components that wouldnt have needed replacing had I not beat my car up, so I was expecting to be replacing these same sort of components. My original estimate of $2000-3000 a year for BMW repairs was strictly based off of comparing the annual cost of parts and labour to my car. On average it is about 50% more expensive for parts and labout. If it was just down to the additional cost of parts and labour I have no issue with it, but potential $4000 injector replacement bills, HPFP failure etc., are the aspects that worry me.

Thanks

P.S I love the E92 and dont intend to insult it, Im just trying to determine if it will be a fit for me.

Last edited by canehdian_guy; 04-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
E92_335guy E92_335guy is offline
Registered User
Location: Bradenton FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Camaro SS
Should I buy a 335i?

Yes. Get one, screw warranty, and don't look back. Those turbos don't lie


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM
drboomer drboomer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
I would, never, ever buy a BMW. Why buy something that breaks down ever week and only gets ~17 MPG city if youre lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Joe in Dublin Joe in Dublin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dublin, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 335ic
drboomer, since u drive mostly in the city get a leaf. 1 1/2 years and 21k miles no problems with my 08 e93....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM
drboomer drboomer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin View Post
drboomer, since u drive mostly in the city get a leaf. 1 1/2 years and 21k miles no problems with my 08 e93....
I was just being sarcastic
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 PM
canehdian_guy canehdian_guy is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
I really want this car, but after the research it feels like rolling the dice. So many guys drive it with no issues, then theres those poor bastards that have there car in the shop every week.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 AM
unrealii unrealii is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
These cars are complex. Just to replace a battery or a fuel injector, you have to tell the computer.

Everything on these cars are optimized for performance. They are not built to be unreliable, but reliability isn't priority 1. Just depends how lucky you are...

Imo, if I was replacing a car,I would at least go a few years newer than what I had.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
__________________
2009 335i 6MT M-Sport AW/CR Convertible & Border Collie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms