Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
E82 or subaru brz/86gts

As a fun car ... Brand new brz/86gts same money as 10,000km e82 125i (128i in the us)

What would you go for and why .... Tx
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
When searching for a new car last fall I was seriously considering the "Toybaru."

I ended up getting a CPO 128i instead. As you mentioned, they're about the same price. However, the bimmer has better fit/finish of the interior components, more horse power and is better looking, IMHO.

Also, I have an unjustified preference for European cars in general. I've always found Japanese cars to be soul-less.

Edit: Also, BMW was having a promotional finance offer at the time for 2009 pre-owned cars. Presumably, there was a glut of these coming off of lease. I got 1.9% APR for 48 months. It's almost free money at that low of a rate.

Last edited by mr_bean; 04-20-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
I'd personally go with the BRZ from a "fun" stand point. The aftermarket is going to be HUGE for these cars in the not too distant future, you're going to see plenty of them running STI power numbers in the near future with aftermarket turbo kits, and in a sub 3k car that's going to be a blast.

Both can look pretty slick in black though

Last edited by Ryan...; 04-20-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
I'm a huge fan of the refined sound of the E82. I test drove a Scion/Toyota version, and found the 4 to sound much less refined. If I were to be just doing track days, the Toybaru would be my choice, but for overall use, I'm glad I have an E82.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Gotta say-- the BRZ in that pic looks REALLY good. I love BMWs but I'm very tempted by the BRZ. Main issue for me is whether it would be a comfortable enough daily driver. IF not, spending a few k more on a 128 is a better deal. And if leasing i bet you can get a 128 for less than a comparable brz.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Gotta say-- the BRZ in that pic looks REALLY good. I love BMWs but I'm very tempted by the BRZ. Main issue for me is whether it would be a comfortable enough daily driver. IF not, spending a few k more on a 128 is a better deal. And if leasing i bet you can get a 128 for less than a comparable brz.
had the same debate.the poor interior and lack of speed and price tag once these hit the teens then maybe as a fun car but as many said you can get a 128i for a little more
Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
As a long-time Subie fan (I owned 6 in my life) I have to say I think the BRZ is really compelling and a beautiful little car. However, like the Mazda RX-8 that was also a really beautiful car, I don't think it's a patch on a Bimmer. Generally I would say that despite being fun little cars, they are pretty "raw". As a weekend car or a track car, one of these would probably be fantastic (though having not driven one yet I can't comment on the capabilities)... but as a daily driver I guess I've just become a little spoiled by the fit, finish and feel of a Bimmer.

It's funny; since my girlfriend got an Audi A4 just before Christmas it's really hit home to me how much better quality the interior of my 135i is. The Audi looks fabulous, but once you spend a little time with it you find lots of creaky plastic, switchgear that works but has a cheap feel and so on. Subarus... I have the same issue with any more. A close friend of mine has a top of the line Outback he got last year... I don't like the interior components at all.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
I own a 2003 wrx and a 2010 scion xB, so I have a good deal of experience with both brands and the FRS/BRZ is a fantastic car. which is why I am in this exact same boat. I have been going back and forth with this over the last few months and have finally decided on the BMW, and I'll tell you why.

refinement.

I miss having a nice, luxury car and this BMW is a great mix of nice, sensible, luxury and speed/fun. I owned a 2005 Benz c-class (320 4matic) and it was just so nice. I didnt need to mod it, it was nice to drive just the way it sat.

I've owner a few scions and a subaru and they have both come a long way in the last few years with nicer interiors and what not but they are still creaky, noisy, unrefined cars. The road noise in them incredible compared to the 1 series and I think the comfort of the 1 series is much better. The Toyburu will turn heads, but so does the 1 series. They're both beasts on the track and with the right setup can just be a dream to drift with so what it really comes down to is what do you want? A car thats a bit more unrefined and raw or a car that is more refined and yet still a true driving machine.

They are both amazingly fun cars and definitely top picks when you want a true drivers car, but for me the BMW won with its nicer interior and comfort. The price difference is so small, especially with a premium BRZ and a base 128i, and yet the features of the BMW are much nicer.

just my .02 as someone who has been there.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: MMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0bic View Post
I own a 2003 wrx and a 2010 scion xB, so I have a good deal of experience with both brands and the FRS/BRZ is a fantastic car. which is why I am in this exact same boat. I have been going back and forth with this over the last few months and have finally decided on the BMW, and I'll tell you why.

refinement.
Bingo.

I came pretty close to pulling to trigger on a BRZ Limited 6spd to replace my 97 e36 m3. Then I test drove a couple and sat inside a bit examining the interior for a good bit (salesmen were busy).

My thoughts on the BRZ

Interior: The FRS is terrible, the fake carbon fiber trim and red accents on the seats make the car look cheesy. The BRZ is much nicer (relatively) with the dual climate and suede/"leather" interior, but really not much of a step up. The cabin is cozy, and you sit very low in the car (more on that later). The rear seat is 100% useless. My gf is 5'3" and even though the sales guy had his chair pushed forward (5'10" knees to the dash) she had to sit sideways to fit in the back. There's almost zero sound deadening in the car and to top it off, they have an intake piping engine sounds directly into the cabin. Plastic materials feel "thin" and cheap, nothing feels solid.

Engine: Revs quickly, sounds like poo poo (not a fan of the boxer 4). Loud and coarse would be a good way to describe it. I'm sure if you removed the intake pipe the sound would be quieter. Not as smooth and silky as an i6.

Suspension: Handles like a race car. Great response to inputs, does not have any floaty feeling whatsoever. Nice and tight. Too tight actually - feels very stiff driving on less than perfect roads. Supposedly you sit 13" above the ground, so you feel like you're speeding when you're only going 30 mph. But again, just too stiff of a drive for my comfort. Fun to drive.

Overall, it came down to what I wanted in a car. I wanted a simple coupe that was comfortable yet handled well. The power and lack of torque killed me in the BRZ, and the stiff ride and cheap interior turned me off. I thought about putting in some sound deadening to reduce the noise and thought that maybe the BRZ limited's interior would be good enough. But coming from BMWs, it was just too hard to make that switch, so ended up with a 128i instead.

The 128i n52 is a dream - smooth power delivery with torque at low RPMs. Interior quality is just as good as the e9x, and I prefer the dash layout a bit more actually. I would argue that the new F30/F32 and upcoming 2 series interiors are more similar in style to the e82 than the e92.

The 128i and BRZ are really in two different car categories, so in my opinion it is 100% personal preference. Which car will work for your wants/needs - the 128i is the one that I was more comfortable with in the end.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM

worded beautifully my thoughts exactly
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 STi
A little different point of view, but I recently ditched a 2012 STi in favor of a 135i and all I can say is... torque.

I imagine the comparison is the same between the BRZ/FR-S and 128. Subaru is just cheaply made, IMO. I bought the car brand spanking new and maybe I was expecting too much for what I spent on it, but the interior was a let down.

On the track, they're probably very comparable. Around town and as a daily driver... it's no contest... BMW.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 128i (just ordered)
Let me try another angle on this. If you are relatively young (say in your 20's or early 30's), give BRZ/86 a try. You can drive a BMW at any age, but driving a BRZ/86 in your 40's or above may look odd. And small things like finishes, fits, interior quality, engine sound and so on would probably bother you more as you get older. An older guy saying.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Let me try another angle on this. If you are relatively young (say in your 20's or early 30's), give BRZ/86 a try. You can drive a BMW at any age, but driving a BRZ/86 in your 40's or above may look odd. And small things like finishes, fits, interior quality, engine sound and so on would probably bother you more as you get older. An older guy saying.
so true
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM

Re: E82 or subaru brz/86gts

also a good point

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app