Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011, 328i Convertible
328i convertible top leak.

I've had my 2011 for a few weeks now. Took it into a car wash, and there was/is water leaking coming in over the driver window. I don't plan on ever doing this again. But, should I be concerned about the top leaking in rain? This car is a daily driver for me, so I can't just avoid Texas rain storms.

The dealer in town is not very good, known issue among San Antonio BMW owners. If I insist I should be able to get them to look at it. Is there a service I can request, top adjustment and lube?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: Camaro SS

Just have them replace the water seals. It needs it (about) every year/ year and a half. My mom has an 09 and it had the same prob.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335ic
car wash.....bad idea
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: E93 09 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_335guy View Post
Just have them replace the water seals. It needs it (about) every year/ year and a half. My mom has an 09 and it had the same prob.

What is the process and price for replacing the water seals?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMBA View Post
I've had my 2011 for a few weeks now. Took it into a car wash, and there was/is water leaking coming in over the driver window. I don't plan on ever doing this again. But, should I be concerned about the top leaking in rain? This car is a daily driver for me, so I can't just avoid Texas rain storms.

The dealer in town is not very good, known issue among San Antonio BMW owners. If I insist I should be able to get them to look at it. Is there a service I can request, top adjustment and lube?

Explain leak. Is it a dribble or a deluge. If it's just a dribble it might be that the seals are a bit dehydrated and need a bit of conditioning. See the origami top sticky as reference. Personally, I don't take my car through automated carwashes per the guidelines in the owners manual. I can still manage to get a slight dribble (a drop or two) down the inside passenger window if I hit it just right with the hose during my hand washing. However, I've pretty much eliminated this with a generous application of Krytox.

Personally, replacing the seals sounds like risky business, especially on a ~2 year old car.

ps: I'm in Texas too. I can run in downpour rain conditions and have no issues. Car is closing in on 4 years old.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-20-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:11 PM

The water was a dribble from the top drivers window. Some water did squirt from the seal between front and back windows. I assume this this is from the water jet hitting it.

I've sworn off auto car washes, and plan to do the seal and hear lube in the next few week.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for a tire monitor issue, and bring this up too.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Not that I'd take mine in a car wash but cleaning the drains designed to funnel away rain water stopped the leak in mine: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=667005

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Wow great link. Tagging that with Fun2Drives seal and gear lube.

Loving all the great advice.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
my 07 335 I hard top convertible has been thru auto bell several time and I have no leaks but then I read Kats write up, got some Krytox and gummpfleg and greased everything and not problems

i did notice that roof drain on the drivers side is either clogged or the pin is not hitting its mark and draining the water out

got to work on that
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMBA View Post

Yes, you should be concerned about the top leaking in the rain. Water leaking should not be happening. If the drivers side window can't be 'adjusted' (shimmed up against the top seal), there may be a fix that a body shop can do to press the top seal against the window. But net-net, there should be no leaks from the top. My ex-E93 (2008 MY) leaked like a sieve from where the top attaches to the front windshield frame. After 5 failed repair attempts, BMW repurchased the car.

Hope you have better luck with your car.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E93
the owners manual suggests you shouldn't take it through automatic high pressure car washes.
Here in Toronto, i've found that the touchless car wash places cause the water to seep in a little. Touch washes dont have as much water pressure and dont cause the water to come in.

I avoid going to the touchless ones but if i really do need to - I grab napkins and extend my hands to each side of the front where the water seeps through :P I dont think that would be recommended though. Just hate my car covered in even the slightest layer of salt in the winters.
check out the post on "keeping your origami top...." on the main page.... great post and detailed explaining on cleaning out the top. Helped me get rid of almost all squeaky sounds that you may hear eventually cuz of the hard top.

On another note, do i need to worry about salt on my underbody or is the underbody covered on 2009 335i cabrios? how should i get the underbody cleaned?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM

So I took the car to the dealer and my SA said he could find a leak. I asked him how he tested he said we took it through a high pressure car wash! When untold him the manual says not to his response was "oh we did a regular hose test too, and found nothing". Told you they were terrible.