Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 503I
EWS Issue

Hi,

New to the site and lot's of info. I purchased my first BMW and it was running perfectly. I tried starting it yesterday and nothing. Everything lights up but it won't turn over. After a lot of reading and troubleshooting I have narrowed it down to the EWS... I think.

I manually started to the car by having a couple of friends push me and I jump started it no problem, car runs fine. Turn it off, nothing. Battery is new and load tested no problem.

02/1994 E34 530i Saloon M60 USA Left hand drive Manual - Production Code: HE13

- EWS relay clicks when key is turned in on position
- Starter relay also clicks in on position and I switched with known working relay..

From what I understand this car should be equipped with EWS1 but it uses a Silver DME which I thought was for EWS2 equipped cars. The car runs when jump started so I know its not the crank position sensor.

Is there a EWS board? If the car is EWS1 then there shouldn't be a board and the DME controls power to the starter if the relay works correct?

It would also appear that I'm missing a relay located next to the DME - circled in green. I've tried locating a schematic with no success to try and find out what this relay is for.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Frostycdn; 04-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Last edited by Frostycdn; 04-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
I'm pretty sure that the EWS is not the issue. If the EWS is activated, it not only prevents the starter from engaging, but it also does not allow the fuel pump to energize, the injectors to fire or the coils to fire. Therefore, if the EWS was activated or faulty, the car would not run even if jump started.

I would look at the starter. Also, I don't know if your car has one, but some of the newer E34s and E36s have a clutch switch that will not allow the starter to engage if the clutch is not pushed in. You may want to look into seeing if you have that feature.

Hope this helps a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 04-20-2013, 05:22 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
I'm pretty sure that the EWS is not the issue. If the EWS is activated, it not only prevents the starter from engaging, but it also does not allow the fuel pump to energize, the injectors to fire or the coils to fire. Therefore, if the EWS was activated or faulty, the car would not run even if jump started
100% correct. not an EWS issue, guaranteed.

Quote:
Also, I don't know if your car has one, but some of the newer E34s and E36s have a clutch switch that will not allow the starter to engage if the clutch is not pushed in. You may want to look into seeing if you have that feature.
havent come across this before or even read it! what years have this?

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the EWS is not the issue. If the EWS is activated, it not only prevents the starter from engaging, but it also does not allow the fuel pump to energize, the injectors to fire or the coils to fire. Therefore, if the EWS was activated or faulty, the car would not run even if jump started.

I would look at the starter. Also, I don't know if your car has one, but some of the newer E34s and E36s have a clutch switch that will not allow the starter to engage if the clutch is not pushed in. You may want to look into seeing if you have that feature.

Hope this helps a little.
^this +1000

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
... havent come across this before or even read it! what years have this?
I'm not sure Andy. I have read about it, specifically on the 3 series. I just never commited it to memory since I don't have to worry (or wish) for a manual transmission due to a bad left knee

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies so far!

So here's a little more history on the car. I test drove it, started without issue several times. Seller offered to deliver the car and I agreed so I wouldn't have to have it towed to my house. When he arrived he apologized for being late and he mentioned that he had left the lights on the car and it killed the battery so he boosted it from under the hood, car started without issue. He dropped the car off and it still started at my house that night. Next morning I got into it nothing, put it up on the hoist as I thouight the starter was dead. Tested the main battery lead and there was power. I had a friend turn the key over while I tested the other points on the solenoid over and over again in all key postions and tried using several grounding points, still no power to the starter. So I ruled it out, got on the net and here I am.

I would like to point out that the both the previous owner and myself started the car without having to push in the clutch so I checked it out and it's not disconnected or does it look tampered with. Hmm, I'm going to try and test it out.

Also, the third picture down, it appears that I'm missing a relay located next to the DEM any thoughts on what this might be for?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Found the clutch switch... Two wires, solid blue and blue with red line through it. Removed the connector and jumped it, engine does not turn over. There are 7.7 volts at the wires with the ignition on, nothing with the ignition off, clutch switch ruled out.

Tried jumping the starter as well by crossing the main pos batt lead to both of the smaller terminals and once again nothing. Should the starter not turn over? One terminal is a signal to turn starter over the other is? Being a GM guy the other terminal would be to the points back in the day or a resistor to drop to 9 volts from 12. Not sure on the this car.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostycdn View Post
Found the clutch switch... Two wires, solid blue and blue with red line through it. Removed the connector and jumped it, engine does not turn over. There are 7.7 volts at the wires with the ignition on, nothing with the ignition off, clutch switch ruled out.

Tried jumping the starter as well by crossing the main pos batt lead to both of the smaller terminals and once again nothing. Should the starter not turn over? One terminal is a signal to turn starter over the other is? Being a GM guy the other terminal would be to the points back in the day or a resistor to drop to 9 volts from 12. Not sure on the this car.
Glad you ruled out the clutch switch. You know more than I do about electrical stuff. I have never jumped posts on the starter to make it engage, but I have seen it done and know that, if done properly, the starter should engage. I still suspect a bad starter.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 e38. schwartzx2
Crawl under there and jump that thing. My friend did mine, and that at least ruled the starter out. Also, I think there are wires in the EWS box that you can twist together to make the starter crank, to test it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostycdn View Post

Sounds like you have a bad solenoid or starter. If the solenoid is receiving 12 volts, that should energize the starter to run.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Sounds like the starter to me as well.

Did you ask the seller if he had any issues charging the battery? If he was in a hurry, he may have crossed the connections, even for a second, and that could fry electrical components in the car. He may have fried the starter to near death, and it finally died after a few starts. That would at least tell you why it happened.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 540i
Re: EWS Issue

When you say that you had a friend turn the key while you were testing the starter and had no power to the starter, if you were testing the right spot that would mean that it is not your starter, or it is your starter and something else.......when you say that you jumped power to the starter and got nothing that would say that it is definitely the starter. It seems to me that you have 2 problems or you botched one of your tests. If it were me, I would repeat the tests to the solenoid and try to jump the terminals on the starter again. if you come up with the same results you should remove the starter and jump power from a batery straight to the starter motor. When you test power to the starter while someone is turning the key, make sure you are 100% that your tester has a good ground. I would bet you have a bad starter or a bad connection or wire somewhere. You need to make the starter turn one way or another to rule it out. It is just an electric motor, so puttin a known good positive power source to it should make it spin. ( please make sure the car is in neutral so you don't die)
Sorry I am all over the place and thinking out loud here. Haha.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using BimmerApp mobile app