Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Changed my tires to non Run Flat

Yes, I finally didt it..Not because I felt it was necessary, but mostly because of my curiosity how much better car would become with non Run flats..My car has AD, so its allready very comfortable even with the Run Flats..

I changed from Continental Run Flat to Nokian Z SUV in dimensjon 255.50.19 in front and 285.45.19 in rear..The difference was huge, much more than I excpectet.

I would say it was at least a 50 - 60% increase in comfort. Handling is the same, but maybe a little bit sharper with the Nokian. One other big advantage is the noice from the tires, which is barely noticeable now.

Return to RFT, no thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i | 2010 X5
You can buy a spare wheel and tire for the X5 to keep in case of emergencies. I bought my X5 with the spare tire and do not use RFT's on it. I am planning on doing the same with my F01.
'10 E70 X5 xdrive30i sport | rear shades | rear climate | iPod/USB | Sat Radio | DVD in Motion activated
'03 E53 X5 3.0 | Premium | Rear Climate | Xenons | Privacy Glass
Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: X5///M
Did the same with my X5M, so happy with the change from RFTs to a real tire (Nitto NT05). I also had the wheels done in black while we had the tires off:

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Question

[QUOTE=scotts10x5m;7534920]Did the same with my X5M, so happy with the change from RFTs to a real tire (Nitto NT05). I also had the wheels done in black while we had the tires off:

what size front tires r u running w the nittos
how do u rate them so far, mini review when u can!
cheers
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
I think we have a racer here, the tire review should be very interesting from someone who knows his tire stuff
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post
Yes, I finally didt it..Not because I felt it was necessary, but mostly because of my curiosity how much better car would become with non Run flats..My car has AD, so its allready very comfortable even with the Run Flats..

I changed from Continental Run Flat to Nokian Z SUV in dimensjon 255.50.19 in front and 285.45.19 in rear..The difference was huge, much more than I excpectet.

I would say it was at least a 50 - 60% increase in comfort. Handling is the same, but maybe a little bit sharper with the Nokian. One other big advantage is the noice from the tires, which is barely noticeable now.

Return to RFT, no thanks
Good to know, I can't wait until I switch out the tire and perhaps the RIM on the next upgrade cycles. I just hope I can wear the tire out quicker than my patience. Perhaps, I won't do that alignment advice just I can give myself an excuse to change it out.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
I went from Continental Contact 4X4 SSR Run Flats to Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes (non run flat snow tires) about 2 months after I bought our X5 - the difference was significant - much softer and quieter ride without compromising the handling either.

I have never heard of the Nokian Z SUV tires that you bought - I Googled a couple of reviews - there aren't many out there - but what reviews are there seem real good!

Are you going with a spare tire or the Mobility kit?
12 Powerstroke Diesel
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post
I went from Continental Contact 4X4 SSR Run Flats to Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes (non run flat snow tires) about 2 months after I bought our X5 - the difference was significant - much softer and quieter ride without compromising the handling either.

I have never heard of the Nokian Z SUV tires that you bought - I Googled a couple of reviews - there aren't many out there - but what reviews are there seem real good!

Are you going with a spare tire or the Mobility kit?
I bought the tires because of the good reviews, and a 50% discount in a German online tire store;-)..

I must admit that I chose the easy way out, and have bought 3 cans of "puncture spray", a tire mending set and a 12V air compressor in case of a flat tire..But I consider getting a "space save" tire..
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts10x5m View Post
Did the same with my X5M, so happy with the change from RFTs to a real tire (Nitto NT05). I also had the wheels done in black while we had the tires off:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts10x5m View Post
Did the same with my X5M, so happy with the change from RFTs to a real tire (Nitto NT05). I also had the wheels done in black while we had the tires off
what size front tires r u running w the nittos
how do u rate them so far, mini review when u can!
cheers
Rob
Tires feel great, WAY better than the RFTs. These are in the stock size. They are inexpensive, but they won't last long and I don't suggest them for pouring rain and definitely not for snow, as they are only 7/32" in depth new (compared to 10/32" new for most tires). I actually sold my OEM RFTs for the same as I paid for the new NT05s. http://www.nittotire.com/tire/nt05#size

They aren't XL rated, but the speed and weight details fulfill the requirements for the X5.

I got them out on the track, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I think we have a racer here, the tire review should be very interesting from someone who knows his tire stuff
I am kind of the local tire whore, last count was 80-some tires!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
Will the dealer take run flats off at time of purchase and put standard tires on? I've never had run flats and I do not want them.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
If the car comes in with very few miles, I have had some success trading them at a place like Tires Plus. You don't get retail credit -for-retail cost, but you may find something decent enough to make sense.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i and 2012 X5
no RFT's for me

you guys are right RFT's are heavy and cost twice as much, i have 2012 X5 35i w/sports pkg and when it's time too replace, going non rft's. replaced them on my vette and made BIG differance, just got couple cans fix-a-flat and repair kit as a spare, after all thats why i have AAA.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35D, 02 325iT
Simply put, run flats suck!!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimwad View Post
You can buy a spare wheel and tire for the X5 to keep in case of emergencies. I bought my X5 with the spare tire and do not use RFT's on it. I am planning on doing the same with my F01.
The run flats are a concern I have about the BMW. I am currently considering an X5 diesel.

Where on the vehicle do you store the spare wheel/tire?

George
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 AM
Takin' Care of Business

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Sport Act
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgec View Post
Where on the vehicle do you store the spare wheel/tire?
As long as you dont have the third row seat, there's a storage area underneath the cargo area. If you order the space saver spare option, it replaces this storage area.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Scott: how many miles do u think ull get on these compared to the stock rfts assuming u didn't take them to the track
Just everyday driving ?
Cheers rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I once again feel it is my duty to point out that "stock RFTs" can be one of MANY differnet tire brands, and not all of them are the same.... My impression (we really have no data) is that Michelin Latitude ZHPs have a much lower 'suck rate'...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d 2012
Tires for X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I once again feel it is my duty to point out that "stock RFTs" can be one of MANY differnet tire brands, and not all of them are the same.... My impression (we really have no data) is that Michelin Latitude ZHPs have a much lower 'suck rate'...
Hello,
I bought a slightly used 2012 X5 diesel a few months ago with 11k miles on it.

LOVE THE TRUCK! Love the diesel engine. Love so many things about it.
But I do not love the run flat Michelin Latitude 255/55R18 ZHPs.

Like them or not, I will not have them for long, which is actually my main complaint so far. Since I just got the truck I've not gotten to test it in snow or rain. And I've not driven it with any other tires so I can't compare the handling or other performance characteristics.

But I noted when I bought the X5 that the tires were surprisingly worn for 11K miles. Now I have 16K miles on it and the tires are nearly at the wear bar! And I don't drive hard. On my prior car, a 2001 Acura MDX, I got 70K+ miles per set of Michelin crossterrains and 80-100K per set of brakes. I'm even noticing chunks of torn tread on these Latitudes and I never saw that on the crossterrains. Weird.

These Michelin runflats will not make it past 20K miles even for summer driving and they are probably unsafe already for rain and snow. I know Michelin makes some great tires so I attribute this short life to the runflat design combined with the heavy weight of the X5d. I'll be replacing with normal tires.

Looking for recommendations for a great non-runflat, mainstream branded tire for my X5. I drive on highway a lot, but also high speeds on curvy mountain roads so performance in those conditions counts. In the winter I often drive in the mountains on snow and ice but not quite enough to warrant a second winter tire so I've got to find one set that I can make work year around.

Considering Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in the W or V speed grade. Also Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia in V grade.

It looks like the Bridgestones have better ratings and reviews than the Michelin Latitude Tour HP with V rating, even though the Michelins are quite expensive.

I'm also a bit tempted to go with something more biased toward off road such as the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 but that might be too optimized around the winter mountain performance vs. the dry highways I spend the majority of the time navigating. Maybe I just like the look of the tread and the idea of using an off-road tire.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

p.s. - I don't plan to sacrifice the great, large rear storage compartment to carry a mini-spare. I've only had one tire failure in my life and my insurance covers roadside service. I guess I look at tires like all other other parts in my car - I don't carry a spare engine, transmission, etc. Failure is rare, and a mini-spare is a nightmare anyway. When I blew a tire once previously it was a terrible experience driving 300 miles home on the highway at 45 in the slow lane with my emergency lights on, while cars zoomed by at 70 honking and flipping me off. Jeash. I think I'll add a pump and some kind of repair kit to temporarily deal with a simple puncture and just call roadside for a serious blowout.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
But I do not love the run flat Michelin Latitude 255/55R18 ZHPs.

And I've not driven it with any other tires so I can't compare the handling or other performance characteristics.

But I noted when I bought the X5 that the tires were surprisingly worn for 11K miles. Now I have 16K miles on it and the tires are nearly at the wear bar! And I don't drive hard. On my prior car, a 2001 Acura MDX, I got 70K+ miles per set of Michelin crossterrains and 80-100K per set of brakes. I'm even noticing chunks of torn tread on these Latitudes and I never saw that on the crossterrains. Weird.

These Michelin runflats will not make it past 20K miles even for summer driving and they are probably unsafe already for rain and snow. I know Michelin makes some great tires so I attribute this short life to the runflat design combined with the heavy weight of the X5d. I'll be replacing with normal tires.

Odd.

So you have decided runflats are bad, and in particular Latitude runlfats are bad because they are wearing out too fast? Here is a BIG FAT SUGGESTION:

Have the alignment checked. And not the dumb "BMW said its fine"... It has been posted ad nauseam, but you want MINIMUM TOE. Ignore what they say, you want it set at 0.01 to 0.02 each wheel.

Or, just leave it alone, buy new tires and come back in a year with the new tires wearing out the same way.

(BTW, I've never read the fact that 'runflat design causes faster tire wear'...)

I got 32k out of my first set on a 2010, and at 27k on the 2012.

It is astonishing that people fail to recognize alignment as a driver of tire wear, and that they cling to some wives tale that 'a bad alignment will cause uneven wear- so if the wear isnt uneven, alignment must be good'

Post your alignment results if you'd like guidance.

Last edited by ard; 04-27-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Odd.

So you have decided runflats are bad, and in particular Latitude runlfats are bad because they are wearing out too fast? Here is a BIG FAT SUGGESTION:

Have the alignment checked. And not the dumb "BMW said its fine"... It has been posted ad nauseam, but you want MINIMUM TOE. Ignore what they say, you want it set at 0.01 to 0.02 each wheel.

Or, just leave it alone, buy new tires and come back in a year with the new tires wearing out the same way.

(BTW, I've never read the fact that 'runflat design causes faster tire wear'...)

I got 32k out of my first set on a 2010, and at 27k on the 2012.

It is astonishing that people fail to recognize alignment as a driver of tire wear, and that they cling to some wives tale that 'a bad alignment will cause uneven wear- so if the wear isnt uneven, alignment must be good'

Post your alignment results if you'd like guidance.
Thank you for the suggestion, even if it was delivered in a kinda rude way!

I'll have the alignment checked. I guess I figured alignment would be checked and adjusted as part of BMWs certified pre-owned checkup, but assumptions are dangerous.

I need to bring the X5 in next week for a routine service (oil, etc). I'll talk to them about the extremely rapid tire wear and ask about a possible alignment issue. Maybe they will recheck it since the car was purchased so recently.

I'll post the data when I get it, either from them or BMW. Although I'd rather not do alignment twice so I should really know how to have it adjusted before the first time.

So you are saying that the BMW alignment specs want some higher toe in value? And the widely held consensus is that BMW is wrong and this causes excessive tire wear and I should override the mfg specs and have them attempt zero toe in?

What is the downside of this? BMW probably won't violate their own specs. I guess an independent shop probably will if I insist.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll reiterate: just asking BMW to 'check' can result in a poor alignment that is still "in BMW specs"

There is a 2000 mile warranty on alignment.

The dealer will likely come up with another excuse....oh, its the weight.. or its the soft rubber bmws use for handlng, or its the roads aournd here, or its how you drive. And they may actuall feverently believe it, even if wrong.

Here's the short verssion: bmw allows toe from 0.00 to 0.08 per wheel. Any number in there and they will say 'its fine'. A car alinged at 0.08 per wheel will get 8000 miles before the tire is corded. A car aligned at 0.01 will get 40k. Same car, same weight, same tire, same driver, same roads....

My best advice is if the dealer will do it for FREE, fine. They wont. DO NOT pay a dealer to do this. Find a good tire store, stand around with the guy when he is doing it, disucss it. Give him $10 if he is a nice guy.

My 2 cents

A
Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I'll reiterate: just asking BMW to 'check' can result in a poor alignment that is still "in BMW specs"

There is a 2000 mile warranty on alignment.

The dealer will likely come up with another excuse....oh, its the weight.. or its the soft rubber bmws use for handlng, or its the roads aournd here, or its how you drive. And they may actuall feverently believe it, even if wrong.

Here's the short verssion: bmw allows toe from 0.00 to 0.08 per wheel. Any number in there and they will say 'its fine'. A car alinged at 0.08 per wheel will get 8000 miles before the tire is corded. A car aligned at 0.01 will get 40k. Same car, same weight, same tire, same driver, same roads....

My best advice is if the dealer will do it for FREE, fine. They wont. DO NOT pay a dealer to do this. Find a good tire store, stand around with the guy when he is doing it, disucss it. Give him $10 if he is a nice guy.

My 2 cents

A
Very helpful, thanks.
I'll get the alignment checked and adjusted somewhere reputable other than BMW ASAP and definitely before mounting the new tires. I'll ask for the pre-adjustment values and post them. It would be interesting if they are seriously toed in and that is the explanation for the rapid tire wear.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
Very helpful, thanks.
I'll get the alignment checked and adjusted somewhere reputable other than BMW ASAP and definitely before mounting the new tires. I'll ask for the pre-adjustment values and post them. It would be interesting if they are seriously toed in and that is the explanation for the rapid tire wear.
I'll bet they will be in spec, but towards the upper end of the toe spec...

(in the interest of full disclosure....I'm in the bag for michelin... I've tried a lot of other tires, but keep coming back to them. PS2s on the M5 and TT; Latitudes on the X5, LTX (?) on the F250 and cross terrains on the MDX.)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
I agree. The Michelin Latitude's have not been bad at all. So far have about 22K miles on them with a decent amount of tread still left. Overall, when new they were new, the handling and noise was no worse than a high quality Non-RFT. My only complaint is that the ride is a bit on the harsh side. I have a set of Continental Extreme DWS on my Audi A6 Quattro and they have been great in terms of comfort and noise. I'll probably go with the same on the X5. Having had both tires, I have the feeling that the Michelin's handle a bit better though I would have to wait until I have them on the X5 as well to say for sure.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
What pressure are you guys with factory 20s running when you swap out to non-runflats?
is the door placard recommendation still good?