Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Passenger Side curtain airbags popped out

I skimmed a curb, and the curtain airbags popped out. Is this covered under warranty since i didnt get hit or anything? This is complete wierd
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2004, 11:44 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskye
I skimmed a curb, and the curtain airbags popped out. Is this covered under warranty since i didnt get hit or anything? This is complete wierd
Probably not. The sensors and electronics in the car decided the impact was severe enough to deploy the airbag(s). However, there was a service action for airbags being too sensitive on some models (I think it was a few years ago). Your dealer would know more.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Probably not. The sensors and electronics in the car decided the impact was severe enough to deploy the airbag(s). However, there was a service action for airbags being too sensitive on some models (I think it was a few years ago). Your dealer would know more.
You'll need to have the car inspected by your local BMW center. This is not a clear cut case, so no one here can tell you what will or will not be covered. Upon inspection, your dealer will be able to determine if there is any damage to indicate that you hit the curb with enough force to deploy the airbag. Contact the service manager at your BMW center, because if BMW is going to end up offering any coverage on this, you will need his help/authorization to do so. It's natural to get upset with stuff like this, but remember to be friendly and respectful (don't blame them), because your dealer is not responsible for this, and you need them on your side.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:09 PM

Whipped out the bentley manual, looks fairly straight forward to replace myself. Took apart some of the dash, just need to remove some stuff, and pull the dash about 1 inch to get my hand in there and replace the air bag unit up. Apparently, there's just one connector in the dash, which you can see if you remove the passenger side vent. The headliner is no biggie to rip out as well.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Whipped out the bentley manual, looks fairly straight forward to replace myself. Took apart some of the dash, just need to remove some stuff, and pull the dash about 1 inch to get my hand in there and replace the air bag unit up. Apparently, there's just one connector in the dash, which you can see if you remove the passenger side vent. The headliner is no biggie to rip out as well.

bmwna will hopefully help you. i'm assuming your windows were up. do you have ringing in your ears from the airbag's noise deploying?

Last edited by usold; 08-15-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm all out of bubblegum

Mein Auto: '03 325i Sedan
Even if it's not a hard repair to do, how much do new side airbags cost? I'm sure they're not cheap.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcan325i
Even if it's not a hard repair to do, how much do new side airbags cost? I'm sure they're not cheap.
parts:
head protection system is 209$
side airbag is 134$
Old 08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm all out of bubblegum

Mein Auto: '03 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by usold
parts:
head protection system is 209$
side airbag is 134$
That cheap? Then why is the damn round airbag for the steering wheel +$400?!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcan325i
That cheap? Then why is the damn round airbag for the steering wheel +$400?!
Yes, they are that cheap. The front air bags are DUAL STAGE, so they are a bit more expensive.

BTW, would anyone like me to record the event for a DIY? It might be usefull, if not entertaining to read.

Luckily my freind owns a MB body shop, with unlimited access to Mitchell's database for the dummy's walk thru. Plus i get parts on the cheap.

Anyways, sorry to say, after this repair, i will be getting rid of the car. Its way to tempermental for a car... ill be drifting back to the japanese cars. My work schedule and life style cant keep up with the attention my baby needs.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:05 PM

any ringing in the ears?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:12 PM

No, does it help? Its ringing if it helps
Old 08-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No, does it help? Its ringing if it helps
If you know the nice process of signing this little form, please tell me how to go about finding these people
Old 08-15-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
If you know the nice process of signing this little form, please tell me how to go about finding these people

just call up bmw north america customer relations 1-800-831-1117. tell them your car problem & they will take care of it hopefully (they require a dealer to pull all the info out of the computer). glad to hear that you dont have ringing (tinnitus) in the your ears.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usold
just call up bmw north america customer relations 1-800-831-1117. tell them your car problem & they will take care of it hopefully (they require a dealer to pull all the info out of the computer). glad to hear that you dont have ringing (tinnitus) in the your ears.
Did this happen to you as well since you know so much ?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Imola M3
Quote:
BTW, would anyone like me to record the event for a DIY? It might be usefull, if not entertaining to read.
Yes, please! Actually, all I'm looking for is a DIY for the side air vent removal, but I'm sure a full DIY would be an infotaining read.