Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335
335i or 370z or...?

Hey everyone, I hope all is well. So, a little about myself. I'm graduating college in a few weeks, and will start working. Based on what I've seen so far, I can feel comfortable financing a used car for around 25k. My first thought was a 335i coupe. I've also thought about an E46 M3, but I figured the maintenance costs could be astronomical and I probably won't have that much money to be putting into the car that I buy. Then I thought of another option, the Nissan 370z. I like the look of it, and think the reliability is quite good. Ideally, I would like to get a 335i coupe and drive it for a few weeks, then put in a JB4 and exhaust or something along those lines. But could the maintenance on a 335 have me regretting my decision and depleting my bank account? Are there any other options you'd consider as a newly graduated young businessman? I know this is a BMW forum, and I'll probably get biased answers. Perhaps it is my subconscious wanted me to buy a 335. But you also know BMW's best, and I would like some honest answers about how much a 335 would really cost me, and if I should consider something else such as a 370z instead, or if I'm just being paranoid and should pull the trigger. Thanks for any help, and in light of recent tragedy, I hope you and your families find yourselves safe and at peace.

Best,
Brennan
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Welcome to the forum!

The only way to not roll the dice on maintenance costs for the 335i would be to buy a CPO or lease a new one.

Buying this model used and out of warranty to save money is an illusion.

I've had six BMW's of various sizes and a 280ZX and a 300ZX in my past. Drove the 300ZX for 7 years and both the Nissans were almost trouble free.

Have enjoyed them all so its hard to steer you one way or another.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the input Laser! I know it is a risk, I've seen stories of people who haven't had much trouble but also stories of people who've had many thousands in maintenance costs. So it seems you are really advising against an 07/08/09 335i non-CPO and in my case a 370 would be more realistic?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 08' BMW 535i
07/08/09 335 non cpo are ok as long as u have done a pre purchase inspection to make sure everything with the car is ok, and look carefully at the service history of the vehicle. If u are worried u can always add an aftermarket maintenance plan for 2-3 k.

I graduated college 2 years ago and financed a cpo 2008 535 for 31k and so far I havent used any of the cpo or factory warranty coz the car is rock solid, I have only paid periodic maintenance (oil, coolant, powersteering, engine injector service) on the car so far (cost me around $700 so far) I believe it will still be trouble free in the next few years.

1995 Lexus GS 300 -White/Grey interior - Retired

Last edited by SKEC; 04-21-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335ic
condition condition condition.....service history and early maintenance is a must. if a car is dirty, engine is dirty most likely the car was not cared for. driven hard and put away wet....
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM

OK, thanks for the input guys. It seems that the 370 would be more reliable, but it would cost me at least 22k, most like about 24k, while I could get a decent 335 for around 20k. So, with this difference of a couple/few grand in mind, the maintenance would probably take a while to bridge the gap. Also, the 335 has four seats, is more luxurious, and easier to modify for neck breaking speed.... I'm really having trouble talking myself out of a 335. I will definitely drive both before I buy anything, but is the 335 maintenance really that bad? or the 370 that good? Is it really an "illusion" to buy an out of warranty 335 and not expect thousands in maintenance? I know, I must take a detailed look at the service history,etc. Is there a certain mileage that problems arise? And I saw about that extended warranty on all of them that have that one huge problem, that would apply to one out of normal warranty as well, correct? I'm really leaning towards a well maintained 335 and making some tasteful modifications. Then I'll have all the acceleration I could want with the prestige, handling, and all else a BMW carries...
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
370 is more reliable and a fun car to drive ... BUT ... interior packaging of 370 is horrible... no back seats and boot space with that huge body roll bar

370 exterior look can be dated very quickly... 350Z looks horrible now.... whilst E46 325ci still looks great

I stay with BM
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
I still drive a 1983 280ZX Turbo...so I'm biased. And it's my 4th Z-car, although all the other three were earlier than 1983.

But it depends on what you need. The BMW has more usable space, the Z is more pure sports car. Buy the one that will fit your needs best during the time you expect to drive it.

one note: if you have another car, get the Z! I've gotten by with a two-door sports car as my primary for 20+ years. As long as I have another car in the family and can trade when I need four doors, I'm golden.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 04-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xDrive Coupe
Having driven the 370Z, I will say it's a lot of fun and verrrry fast. Though the V6, while great in its own way, lacks refinement compared to the inline 6 under the hood of a BMW. It's coarse, but it actually makes the car feel and sound like a Japanese muscle car, which I liked. The blind spots were were pretty bad though. Considering how much time I spend on the freeway and changing lanes to get around slow people, that would definitely become a hassle.

I know the 370Z would be an awesome weekend/fun car, but perhaps not so much as a daily driver, but that's just me. It's something I could work with if I had to, but given the choice, I'm glad I found my 328. As far as which car is more fun to take around corners, it's surprisingly close. The BMW doesn't make me miss the 370Z at all even though the Z is faster in a straight line.

As others have mentioned, it's up to you to decide which car suits your needs better. As far as general maintenance and potential repair bills though, the Z will almost certainly be cheaper.

Either way, I don't think you could make a wrong decision with this one. Each car has their own respective sets of pros and cons and they seem to even out in my eyes, but that's just a quick opinion.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: assorted awesomeness
I've had a couple of Nissans, while they were reliable, they did have quirks. As for the 370, I've never owned one but suggest you find a way to spend some time in one before deciding. As cool and fun as they are, they are also extremely noisy, especially at freeway speeds, and have poor visibility, particularly rearward. It's also not practical and, like other Nissans I've owned, you can pretty easily see where costs were cut after a while. The upside, however, is that the Infiniti G35 and G37 don't really have most the issues I just described. (Finding one in a manual is difficult, however, if that's what you prefer, and you'll have to contend with seeing an intentionally misspelled word emblazoned in several places on the car). Also, I believe insurance will be absurd on a Z, while it tends to be pretty reasonable with a BMW 3 series or Infiniti G (at least in sedan forms).

As for the BMW, as others said, don't expect to buy one out of warranty without it costing a significant amount of money to keep running. If you have the time, skills and desire to do your own repair and maintenance, however, I think an older 3-series (pre E-90) is worth considering. Something like that could bring great enjoyment, but you would probably want to have another form of transportation available.

But speaking as someone who went out and financed a car as soon as I could after getting my first job, I'm going to be dull and suggest you wait until life stabilizes and you have a better vision of your income, expenses, where you'll be living, how much it costs, if you like what you're doing, if you like your city, etc. As much as I like cars and love driving, having to worry about payments can suck the thrill out of it and become an issue in a hurry. If you have something reliable now, I'd wait to see how you feel about your career and life first; I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by Carraway; 04-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Hey. I bought a 2007 used non CPO 335i sedan last july. I had a 2003 350z in 04 when I first got my license, so I know what you are going through. I am also 24 years old and in graduate school pursuing a history MA then PhD, so I understand the financing thing as well. I purchased my 335i sedan with 38k miles on it for 22.75k. I thought it was a bargain, bought it from a BMW dealer. Only issue I ran across is that when I ran in to get an oil change at a trusted import mechanic that specializes in Jags and Bimmers, he noticed my oil-filters was basically crumbled into little bits. Seems the BMW dealer didn't change that or tell me about it before I bought the car and drove off... anyway, no issues, so none of the oil filter got loose in the bearings and such. I looked at the 370z, because my 350z lasted so well and ran fine, but I drove the 335i... never looked back. Had power and torque, had space (which is something I wished I had had in my Z), and it was comfortable. I am 6 foot 4 inches, so I can appreciate a good comfortable ride. I shopped around and narrowed the choices to two vehicles: a 2007 Mini Cooper S (yeah yeah yeah, go ahead, laugh... lol) and the 2007 335i. CooperS was fun to drive, but seriously, im 6 foot 4inches, not going to be ideal pulling up to the bar. The BMW handled well, went faster than my 350, and had space and comfort. So far, I have had zero issues minus the oil filter thing which turned out not to be an issue (thankfully). And to the person who said that the 370z interior is crap, you are correct. It is. It looks cool and futuristic, like the 350 did back when it was new, but it isn't refined. The engine is good, as a N/A car is usually good when it is over 300hp, but the motor lacked torque for obvious reasons. I like going into the back of my seat, so 335i.

So, in a brief statement, get what is most comfortable to you and will make you happy. For me, that was the 335i: space, speed, comfort, and it looks pretty damn good with the sunroof popped. Granted I am sure the Mini would have been fun, because I would have tuned that thing pretty hardcore, but heck, its a bimmer.

PS. Have not tuned my 335i as of yet. Would like to one day, but it is a sedan, so ehhh idk.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 09 BSM M sport 335i Coupe
I'd say go with the 335i because there's more potential. The 370z is a good car and the only reason I'd pick it over the 335i e92 would be for price. Other than that, the 335i is better imo pretty much all around. With proper gearing and some bolt ons, the 370z is formidable but a car that comes boosted from factory has the advantage in in how well it'll accepts mods. 335i with tune, intake, downpipes, fmic is going to be pushing 380-400 to the wheels depending on the map.

As far as reliability, I've had mine as a 2nd owner for over 10k and no problems so far. I did have the awesome BMW maintenance on there though and its just about to run out. The dealership haven't had to replace anything major, just fluids, pads, etc. They did fix a seat belt arm extender problem but as with major parts, there is an extended warranty on the high pressure fuel pump and that issue was more prone to happen to the earlier models anyways. Look for the sport package because then it'll come with the factory oil cooler. Also my SA also advised me that there was an extended warranty on the factory warranty as well. Parts for the N54 is getting cheaper as well.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
I have owned three BMWs. The first two were purchased CPO. The third was a 2008 335 Coupe purchased used at Carmax without CPO. I found that with two kids in college (tuition, books, rent, food, gas, and car insurance for two kids), I could no longer afford to maintain a BMW. I recently had the same dilemma as you. I, too, looked at the 370z but ended up buying a brand new Hyundai (yes, Hyundai) Genesis Coupe. The GC is not as quick as the 335, though it may be due to the fact that I went from a 335 with 6mt and JB4 to an 8-speed auto GC, but the GC is much sportier, and I can't believe how many compliments I get on the GC.

Last edited by Likwid; 04-21-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
I test drove a 370Z and found it to be awful. Visibility was worse than the Camaro. The ride was harsh and loud. My budget allowed me to spend more and I was able to get a 2011 CPO 335i sedan. If I was in your shoes, I would be taking a hard look at the G37. You can find a '09 with low mileage for 25K. It's got great power and smoothness. I drove the sedan and coupe. While not a smooth as the 335i, the G37 is pretty damn close.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Back in the day the Z would be a sports car & the 335 a GT car. Buy what appeals to you. I converted a 1981 28ZX from a T top to convertible & it was in the family till just a few years ago.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone! I obviously have a tough decision to make! There are definitely substantial pros and cons to any of the recommendations, and ultimately, I'll have to drive them all for myself, and of course, take into account insurance rates and many other factors. I'll be doing more research, and I can hardly wait to graduate in two weeks and be ever closer to experiencing these awesome cars!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335xi
Get a brz Sti
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i Coupe
As a prior owner of both a 2012 370z Coupe and Vert, I can say this:

- Great straight line speed. Gets up an goes like a bat out of hell and corners with a vengeance.
- Mass sex appeal. Not many on the rode in comparison to BMW and the like.
- Turns heads. Women loved it!
- Good modding ability, but not as far as BMW or 335 line.
- Good drivers car. Interior is laid out well, just not in the finest of materials.
- Solid MT. Even faster 7AT. (from my butt dyno that is)
- Comfortable seats - needed better lumbar support for my aging back. My 335i fixed this.

Some negs:

- it's a two seater! Figure out BEFORE hand what your space requirements are. It seems cool at first, but loses it's appeal and practicality shortly thereafter.
- Blind spots from hell. (better with the Vert for obvious reasons)
- Noisy (road noise bothered me)
- Expensive to insure (by about $50 for me here in Hawaii as a 33 yr old)
- Materials are nice, but not the best. You are still dealing with a mid $30k car, don't expect the world.
- Mods only go so far. Not many tuner options (if at all IIRC) basically, CAI, exhaust, headers and wheels/tires.
- Base model doesn't have many options - recommended the sport or touring to get the most bang for the buck.

Overall - I liked both of them, but it just lost it's niche after a while. I don't miss my Z. I had always wanted a BMW. My Z was my practical dream car, but as you grow up, your priorities change.

Most importantly, drive what speaks to you....and enjoy it.

GL.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: n/a
Hey welcome to the forum, I am new here as well and i was going through the same dilemma when i was car searching. I used to have a nissan 350z and hit a deer so i got a pay out for it and my next option was either the 370z and the 335i. I spent months researching the cars and a lot of people told me to test drive both cars to see how you like them. I test drove the 370z and coming from a previous 350z owner, it was impressive, the handling was nice, the synchro match rev was smooth and the car was on par for performance as expected coming from the Z family. But there were a lot of things i had to weigh out. and the things that got to me were the blind spots, only have 2 seats ( i like having 4 seats ) also if its a daily driver, you feel the road a whole lot more, pot holes, uneven pavement, road noise. IMPORTANT - does it snow in your area, if it does then the Z would be a whole lot worse than a 335i would be. NOT saying the 335i is the best in the snow but i think it'd be better than a 370z in snow. I then test drove the 335i and right when i got in the seat, and took it down the street. i realized that i had to get it, the 335i is smooth and picks up a whole lot faster than the 370z did when i launched it. The 335i to me atleast seems like it has a more noticeable amount of torque. But i do miss the handling in the Z, I noticed that today on my way to work as sped through an "S" curve exit. But my pro's towards the 335i outweigh that of a Z. You just have to make a list and figure out what works for you more.

so in conclusion i got a 07, 335i space gray/coral interior 6spd manual and so far i'm loving it. I have yet to reap the repercussions of the maintenance or anything and hoping to stay on top of them to prevent anything damaging.

here is my first post/thread regarding which to choose from. A lot of people had a lot of good insight, especially with the whole HPFP problem.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...582&highlight=

enjoy, good luck and take your time car searching. Don't rush and test drive both cars!

PS. I bought my car in the beginning of April, so i hope that my post was relevant and insightful for ya.

"things you may want in a 335i"
Sports package with 18" wheel upgrade (so you can get the oil cooler)
get the vin: contact bmw and see if the HPFP was replaced or serviced at all (but if not there is a warranty for 10 yrs or 120k miles).
bmwvin.com is free to sign up for and shows you what the car has or comes with package wise. really useful (light package, winter package, sports package.. etc.)
335i most DO NOT COME WITH SPARE TIRE, also it doesn't have an under - carriage like most cars for a spare, if you did have a spare it'd be in the trunk occupying most of your trunk-space.
Does it come with the emergency kit, the triangle, jack (if no spare most likely no) the bmw tools, flashlight in glove compartment.
Also make sure you get 2 or more set of keys, cause a replacement is $250. without CA (Comfort Access - where you can open your door or start your car with the key in your pocket)

Last edited by varcity; 04-24-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdintx View Post
I test drove a 370Z and found it to be awful. Visibility was worse than the Camaro. The ride was harsh and loud. My budget allowed me to spend more and I was able to get a 2011 CPO 335i sedan. If I was in your shoes, I would be taking a hard look at the G37. You can find a '09 with low mileage for 25K. It's got great power and smoothness. I drove the sedan and coupe. While not a smooth as the 335i, the G37 is pretty damn close.
Aren't a G coupe and the Z very similar vehicles?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
I always fancied a 335i...nothing smaller in the 3 Series...just had to have one before it was too late.

The ride is firm, positive and the kick in the pants acceleration and auto box are unique...especially the paddle changers.

And they turn heads...and the sound of that exhaust.....

Watch out for the Police or you will forever be watching the mail!

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin128 View Post
I always fancied a 335i...nothing smaller in the 3 Series...just had to have one before it was too late.

The ride is firm, positive and the kick in the pants acceleration and auto box are unique...especially the paddle changers.

And they turn heads...and the sound of that exhaust.....

Watch out for the Police or you will forever be watching the mail!
Yep! Very true, except I woyld never own an automatic
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Thread reopened, please do not reference the word "Jap" for Japanese. "Jap" is a deragotory slang word that offends others.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Aren't a G coupe and the Z very similar vehicles?
They have the same drivetrain. I don't believe they share the same chassis. They drove very differently. The G was more quiet and had a softer suspension.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by varcity View Post
so in conclusion i got a 07, 335i space gray/coral interior 6spd manual and so far i'm loving it.

Hoo MAMA! Spend some in the aftermarket - you'll be so glad you did!

W/suspension & drivetrain mods, well known and documented, you'll be sportin' a grin every time you move your car.

Check this: You have much more power than you think. Without any engine mod, putting power to the ground better makes all the diff....after, add'l power is much easier to use.

Game?