Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cellus305 Send a message via Skype™ to Cellus305
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Need serious help!!!

To start I have a 03 BMW 745li and my battery has been dead for a few weeks so I finally had the time to get jumper cables to jump it with my wife Yukon but after attempted to jump it 5 times everything except the engine came on so I have up hope for today and turn the car off while in my house my car alarm just went off with out notice so to turn it off I put the key in the ignition and the alarm stopped but the key is now stuck in the ignition due to the battery dying again with no signs of coming out I have tried hooking jumper cables but up to get enough power to get the key out it work but the alarm sounded off once again so I did the key thing again n same thing happen alarm stopped with key stuck smh I been going nuts all day

Is it possible to take the battery out of car to charge it on my trickle charger ??? I don't have a garage n I stay on the the 2nd floor if my apartment

I heard if battery us taken out of car I would have to re register it at the BMW dealership

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!! Starting to think going BMW was a bad idea but I love the 7 series

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Need serious help!!!

1. You need a NEW battery. At this point, a charge will not help your battery, it's complete DEAD and useless! (2) With a new battery, it has to be register/coded to the vehicle. You can get a battery from the deal or car parts store, put it in the vehicle and take it to the dealership or independent shop to be register.

**Just a Head up** A BMW dealer will charge you around $200-230 for a new battery and $75 to register.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 PM

Need serious help!!!

Thanks so much do you know of any other places I could get the battery from for cheaper or is it just better to get the one from the dealer

Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
+1 Sounds like a battery issue, I have recovered very discharged batteries before with a 48hr+ charge cycle to get them going for a short period but the damage is done if its been discharged too long.

Take it out and try charging it, then re-connect t and take it to a dealer or indy that can replace the battery, register and check your alternator.

For the record, you only need to register the battery if its NEW, simply removing it and re-connecting does not require registration. Hope that helps

Stuart
Old 04-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Need serious help!!!

That helps a lot I want to be able to drive my car to the dealer to get it registered instead if have to pay for a tow and all I will try saving it first I have a trickle charger to try this theory

Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Yeah go for it, got nothing to lose, it will pull very little current to begin with, then will increase before dropping off. It may take some hours before it starts accepting charge, keep it on for a day at least to give it time to recover.

I know the power module can be programmed for either lead acid or AGM batteries, mine needs doing, its on the ever growing list though!

Stuart
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Need serious help!!!

I got my battery from Advance Auto Parts for $181. I was told to make sure it's a AGM battery. Advance Auto Parts usually only have 1 or 2 in stock. I took a trip to 3 different store before I could find one. Also check Battery Plus, I was told by BMW employee that they always have Those batteries in stock.