Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i, 1991 318i
Oil Filter Housing Check Valve

I suspect that at some time the oil filter housing check valve that normally drains to the oil pan when the filter is removed, somehow remained opened causing the housing to drain or leak back even when the filter was in place with the lid screwed on. This resulted in an empty housing at each startup, thus a virtually dry startup.
Has anyone ever installed a manual cut off valve in the line to make sure the housing does not drain back unless you are changing the filter? The little check valve seems flimsey.
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
If the oil reservoir is empty...and it is mounted remotely to the engine, wouldn't that mean that all the oil is in the oil pan and other engine cavities and lines to & from the oil filter reservoir?

If the above assumption is true...then the engine is not really having a "dry start up" since all the oil is either in the pan, in the engine cavities, and lines before & after the oil filter reservoir. Which is also essentially the case every time a new oil filter is inserted for those that follow the BMW oil change instructions and don't fear the oil filter reservoir being empty for the few seconds at start up before oil is pumped into the remote reservoir through the lines leading to it from the engine.

Again, if the oil is everywhere but in the reservoir...the flaw in your theory is that the "engine is dry"... when in fact, the majority of the approx 8 quarts of oil is in the very place you want it to be...in the engine.

Just a thought. Or perhaps my thinking is flawed...
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
interested

I just picked up my first BMW, a 2001 740i sport, i amvery impressed. I fixed the cooling system, and while messing arround under the hood I noticed dry sounding starts every time the car sits overnight. I have been hunting for info, please tell me more. This looks like the road to investigate. toyota had this same issue.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Just changed the oil and filter, the filter housing was only 1/2 full after sitting 4 hours. Going to check it again tomorrow after the trip home.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i, 1991 318i
Oil filter check valve

The canister drain check valve is supposed to be closed when the oil filter is in place and opens when you remove the filter. Some oil filters do not do a good job of holding the check valve down. When this happens, oil escapes down into the pan so the pump must refill the canister upon each start up. Also, if you are losing oil down the drain while running, that much oil is not lubricating the bearings. The check valve itself is not very substantial.

Check the entire bottom surface of your replacement oil filter to be solid and flat, not exposing any pleated paper media or other irregular features. In addition, I have installed a pinch off tool on the drain hose to make sure no oil is going down the drain when I don't want it to. I am looking for a shut off valve which could be installed in the drain line for a more permanent fix.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM

Opened the filter housing after sitting for a full day and the oil is draining through the check valve back into the pan. I think it's time to visit the BMW parts department to look up a new check valve and the two rubber stud things that isolate the housing, yes I broke them. Good news though, the fresh oil seems to have stopped the sound at startup. There must be some sort of tool to hold the housing while you take the top off, does anyone have one?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL Sport
E38 startup thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnacar View Post
I just picked up my first BMW, a 2001 740i sport, i amvery impressed. I fixed the cooling system, and while messing arround under the hood I noticed dry sounding starts every time the car sits overnight. I have been hunting for info, please tell me more. This looks like the road to investigate. toyota had this same issue.
My low-miles 2001 e38 started having momentary "startup thrash" on cold starts after I changed to Mobil One (and a no-name oil filter). The startup noise disappeared after the new oil change. (OEM oil and filter). My guess is a loss of oil pressure to the chain tensioner due to a drain back valve in the filter, but I'm not sure. Either way it sucks.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
Magnacar without a video I will relay the most probable reason. Either the chain tensionor is pumping it self back up or you hear a typical VANOS rattle. Either way, no reason for concern.

*The chain tensionor has been redesigned with a longer spring and a better oil by-pass system.
*[I]The VANOS rattle may be due to the solenoids.
The solenoids part number has been superseded twice and the cost went up considerably.

Last edited by ebida3; 01-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 740i
A manual shutoff valve seems a bit... drastic to me. Kind of like replacing a broken door lock with a padlock.