Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Mark

Mein Auto: 91 318is
Higher mileage e46 m3??

Hi everyone this is my first post on the forum!

Anyways I have been looking to buy an e46 m3 for a little while now, with the money i have budgeted the cars that i have been looking at are in around the 190k kilometer (118000 miles). What I want to know is how reliable can these cars be with this mileage? I am obviously looking to find a car with service records. I also intend on using all the recommended oil, filters, plugs etc... when performing maintenance and doing it regularly.

At any rate though what i really need to know is if i find the proper car and maintain it properly how reliable can these cars be and is it possible to run one of these cars without running costs getting out of control and things breaking down? I obviously am not expecting it to be totally problem free but I also dont want it to turn into a nightmare!

As far as driving goes it will be close to a daily driver in summer maybe the odd road trip and garaged in the winter. no racing or track days

anyways thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Hard to say, and it would be very dependent upon its life and service until now. Find one that was well taken care of, and all recommended maintenance was done, and you should be okay. In fact, you might want to shoot for one where the owner(s) actually did better than the recommended maintenance schedule with extra oil changes and shorter intervals on other maintenance items.

When you find a car, you may want to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by a reputable BMW mechanic or service center. It may cost you a couple hundred, but it would give you peace of mind by catching any issues the car might have. If and when you buy a car, you'll want to perform all the required maintenance, which will reduce the chances of unexpected repairs. I would set a budget for maintenance, and expect to spend that much every year. I budget $2000 per car for maintenance (I have two aging, out-of-warranty German cars!)

Consider joining the BMW CCA (Car Club of America.) One of the benefits is access to the "lifetime maintenance schedule", aka "old school" which is geared towards maintaining out-of-warranty BMWs for the long-term ownership. A BMW M3 can be a very rewarding car to drive, but it IS a German high-performance vehicle and it IS going to require a commitment on your part to keep it running properly.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 2003
Higher mileage e46 m3??

Hi, it's my first post also. I guess i can relate to your questions around the M3 as i was the same before buying my car 3 years ago.I have a late 2002 M3 with 228000km SMG. I bought it at 135000kms and have had a fuel pump go and a throttle valve. No other problems, it gets a $500 service every 10k. Daily driver and an incredible car on so many levels. Here a video of the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app