Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
New Ci/Cic colors

Despite my pathetic dialup connection, every once in a while I peek in on www.bmw.de to see what's up with BMW elsewhere.

Well for the new model year, there seem to be a few interesting developments. In addition to the two new coupe/cabrio colors (Sonora and Sparkling Graphite) available in the USA, Germany also gets Havanna metallic. (I dunno...brown?)

Replacing extended nappa leather are 4 colors of Futura exclusive leather: Light Beige, Light Gray, Black and....Garnet Red (Granatrot.) Offhand I'm not sure I've heard of anybody in the USA ever getting a car with the fancy upholstery but...interesting.

And a new wood trim seems to have appeared as well: Pappel Maser Rauchgrau, which I think is Smoke Gray poplar. (Can someone back me up here with the translation?) Lots of people seem interested in anthracite birch, but that Individual stuff is expensive. This poplar might be a more reasonably-priced alternative.
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2004, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Despite my pathetic dialup connection, every once in a while I peek in on www.bmw.de to see what's up with BMW elsewhere.

Well for the new model year, there seem to be a few interesting developments. In addition to the two new coupe/cabrio colors (Sonora and Sparkling Graphite) available in the USA, Germany also gets Havanna metallic. (I dunno...brown?)

Replacing extended nappa leather are 4 colors of Futura exclusive leather: Light Beige, Light Gray, Black and....Garnet Red (Granatrot.) Offhand I'm not sure I've heard of anybody in the USA ever getting a car with the fancy upholstery but...interesting.

And a new wood trim seems to have appeared as well: Pappel Maser Rauchgrau, which I think is Smoke Gray poplar. (Can someone back me up here with the translation?) Lots of people seem interested in anthracite birch, but that Individual stuff is expensive. This poplar might be a more reasonably-priced alternative.
Hmm, not sure about grey.

Pricing of Individual parts varies greatly. While the newer stuff (Poplar Ruby, for example) costs thousands, I fitted Englischrot (Chestnut) wood to my car for little more than the cost of fitting the Myrtle or Birch wood kits. It is a whole league above the Myrtle, and IMHO beats the wood in a Jag for authenticity (the varnish is not overly thick and the veneer really is a wood veneer). Total price 500 with discount, vs 380 for the myrtle.

This kind of wood isn't for everyone, but the deep red and 3D grain makes a nice contract with black leather (and I've never seen a wood colour like that in any other car).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash II.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	35636  

Last edited by andy_thomas; 08-16-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:38 AM

Looks great, Andy! Got any more pics?

I like wood trim in BMWs -- but certainly not everybody does. To my unpracticed eye the Chestnut looks a bit like the maple I have in my Touring.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
Hmm, not sure about grey.

Pricing of Individual parts varies greatly. While the newer stuff (Poplar Ruby, for example) costs thousands, I fitted Englischrot (Chestnut) wood to my car for little more than the cost of fitting the Myrtle or Birch wood kits. It is a whole league above the Myrtle, and IMHO beats the wood in a Jag for authenticity (the varnish is not overly thick and the veneer really is a wood veneer). Total price 500 with discount, vs 380 for the myrtle.

This kind of wood isn't for everyone, but the deep red and 3D grain makes a nice contract with black leather (and I've never seen a wood colour like that in any other car).

THat is nice. The std Myrtle just looks too flat and brown.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Looks great, Andy! Got any more pics?

I like wood trim in BMWs -- but certainly not everybody does. To my unpracticed eye the Chestnut looks a bit like the maple I have in my Touring.
Only a couple of close-ups (attached).

Chestnut is variously known as "Englischrot Muschelahorn" ("English Red Shell Maple") in the ETK. In UK Individual brochures it was known Chestnut, one of three different flavours of maple available at the time (the others were Olive, or "snot maple", and Arizona Sun).

It is similar in contrast, but redder in colour, to Light Maple which was an early E46 factory option (and is still available).

As this wood genuinely appears to be real (albeit a veneer), the variation in grain is noticeable. I went through a couple of shifter plate surrounds before I found one that matched the rest of the wood (it was obviously from a completely different tree!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OSF door inner.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	35641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter plate.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	35642  
Old 08-16-2004, 02:33 PM

Very nice, indeed! Beautiful!

The grain is also a big different that my maple, which I guess is the light maple you refer to.