Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Annoying - Heat/AC Turns on Every Time When Car is Started

I set the memory with everything off last night. Got in this morning. Everything off.
Seems to work well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Tried the memory seats option - didnt work

saved the memory yesterday after i started my car and switched off the heat,

had to switch it off again today morning when i started the car.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto:

I set the memory with everything off last night. Got in this morning. Everything off.
Seems to work well.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Try my original suggestion, which seems to have been credited to another responder. The memory system saves your HVAC settings. If you turn it off and then don't do a save, it's going to return to the previous saved setting. Not 100% sure it will save "Off" position, but it certainly won't work unless you save it in Off mode.
I tried this last night. Started the car this morning and it didn't work. Same result.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetrillo View Post
It's like the engine start/stop feature. If you don't like to keep the option enabled, do you like having to disable it every time you start your car? I know I don't. For me it's the same with my Heat/AC. If I want it off when I start my car, because it was off when I finished using it last, it should be off. Is this not the logical thing to do? Turn it on when you want it on, turn it off when you don't want it on. Don't turn back on again until I tell you to. Very simple.
Like I said before, if all else fails just have it coded and you will have it the way you want. I agree with you on the last user setting preference. But IMO the engine auto start/stop is a bigger nuisance and adds additional stress to the engine, time will tell.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
Like I said before, if all else fails just have it coded and you will have it the way you want. I agree with you on the last user setting preference. But IMO the engine auto start/stop is a bigger nuisance and adds additional stress to the engine, time will tell.
Start/Stop is a regulatory issue. BMW would be im big trouble if there was an option to turn it off.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
But IMO the engine auto start/stop is a bigger nuisance and adds additional stress to the engine, time will tell.
I really hope not. That's the last thing especially long term BMW drivers need.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
Start/Stop is a regulatory issue. BMW would be im big trouble if there was an option to turn it off.

Actually, I read here that many BMW dealers received the go ahead from BMWNA to help those with auto start stop (ASS) to code it to last user setting so the user no longer has to depress the button to deactivate it upon each start. As far as I know, the 550 is the only one that does not have ASS.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi 1998 Z3 1.9
I had the same issue on my 2013 528xi and the dealer told me to shut the heat off before you shut the car off a few times and the key will remember and leave it off I tried and it worked
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Actually, I read here that many BMW dealers received the go ahead from BMWNA to help those with auto start stop (ASS) to code it to last user setting so the user no longer has to depress the button to deactivate it upon each start. As far as I know, the 550 is the only one that does not have ASS.
I'm suspicious because disabling the ASS has an adverse affect upon MPG's and CAFE.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc1974 View Post
I had the same issue on my 2013 528xi and the dealer told me to shut the heat off before you shut the car off a few times and the key will remember and leave it off I tried and it worked
I'm skeptical. I've turned it off every day I've owned the car to no avail.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
I'm not saying your car is functioning normally because my E90 will start with AC off with the HVAC in manual but not Auto mode ( Auto won't work well without AC on btw.).
Since my E92 does this flawlessly (if I leave A/C off, it will start with it off also in Auto mode) and since people have such disparate results ... (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH335i View Post
Seems to work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
Tried the memory seats option - didnt work

saved the memory yesterday after i started my car and switched off the heat,

had to switch it off again today morning when i started the car.
... I can only suggest that for those who can't get it to work (to do what was saved in memory) to make sure that the setting asking the car to bring seat in position on unlock of the doors is actually active.

I remember going WTF?! more than once with my car for different reasons until I set it to load from memory and move seat in position on unlock. I'm not sure HVAC will oblige, but you can try to push your M1 (or M whatever) button once seated and see if that will turn HVAC off if you saved it off. If it does, then you just need to "initiate" memory before turning the car on - and easiest way is to ask it to do so with unlock of the doors.

I don't know this for certain, but it can't hurt to try.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 04-26-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I will make a prediction:

If any of the folks complaining about this feature find a way to disable it, they will be back on here withing 30 days, complaining that their A/C now smells like rotten gym socks every time they turn it on. Belive it or not, there's a reason the engineers designed the system to come on every time you start the car...

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package

Some always need to complain about something. Who cares, it's auto climate control. I would rather hear people wine about the freaken RFTs.

BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Fplanner2000

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
I may have a fix!!

While visiting my favorite local BMW dealer to finally get the Dinan Stage 2 software installed this am, I asked why this heat/ac problem was happening. To my utter amazement, my service advisor said the battery was probably low in my key fob!! They replaced it and now the car starts with whatever setting I last had for the climate control. In addition, they mentioned that the closer your key is to the sensor for this (located below and to the left of the start button), the better it will work.

So, I suggest those who are still having problems might replace their key battery and then see if that works for you - it definitely did for me. There is actually a key-holder in front of the ashtray on the center console.
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
That's just weird and doesn't make any sense. My key is brand new (with my car) and I have it in my pocket. Very odd that some people can get it to stop happening with various methods and then others do the same methods but are stuck with the same issues.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Fplanner2000

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
That's fine - mine now works perfectly. Apparently there may be some sort of control function in the key. I have no idea and really don't care, as long as it works, which it now does.
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi
I'll have my car back from the shop Monday (Tuesday the latest) and will let you know if it remembered my setting from last week when it seemed to have been working correctly!

Mods:
35% Madico Onyx Tints
Painted Front Reflectors
Debadged
Custom M Performance Grilles
M Performance V-Spoke 20" Wheels
18mm BMS Rear Spacers
M5 Style Spoiler
M Sport Rear Bumper with Painted Reflectors & M5 Diffuser
GTHAUS Meisterschaft Full Cat-back True Dual Exhaust 4x90mm GTC EV Controlled
Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
BMS Stage 1 Tune (pending)

(Picture not up to date with current mods)
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:

Quote:
I'm suspicious because disabling the ASS has an adverse affect upon MPG's and CAFE.

I do not understand your suspicion.

BMW has given Dealerships both the approval and means to disable ASS Function. This is done by adding K-Word (aka HO-Wort) OMSA to the Vehicle Order and Programming CAS Module.

If you need proof though:

Click image for larger version

Name:	K-Word OMSA - 01.png
Views:	32
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	373466

Click image for larger version

Name:	K-Word OMSA - 02.png
Views:	32
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	373467

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Re: Annoying - Heat/AC Turns on Every Time When Car is Started

No I believed you. I'd be surprised if they rolled it down to other models. For example BMW cannot program out the "no start" with the diesels when the car runs out of UREA.

Sent from my MB525 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:

Quote:
No I believed you. I'd be surprised if they rolled it down to other models. For example BMW cannot program out the "no start" with the diesels when the car runs out of UREA.

Sent from my MB525 using BimmerApp mobile app
That I am not sure of. I have no idea if they will do it on Diesel models or not.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips