Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Front & rear suspension rebuild for $260!

Ok ok. I know these are not BMW parts, but to rebuild your front and rear suspension for $260 is pretty good. Hell you could buy 2 kits for $520 and change it again in 5 years for less then half the cost of BMW parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Control-...ht_1478wt_1255
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
Are they legit parts. These cars are very heavy for cheep parts especially suspension.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM

Although these parts do see some stress they are not load bearing. The weight of the car is supported by your springs and struts. I would think they would be fine. Im at 100k miles and due for a rebuild. Was thinking about this. I would NOT use Ebay wheel bearings, but Iam considering this set for everything else. $260 is hard to pass up. Then again I do believe you get what you pay for. Hard choice. If I lived in a cold climate I would be worried about the quality of rubber, but its warm where I live.

Not sure if its a mistake but it says its a front kit. But, if you look at the pictures and read the discription its front and rear.

Has anyone used an Ebay set?

Last edited by JasonSC540ia; 04-23-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
re

I've read these parts only lasted 30 days of normal use ......along ways from 5 years
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Load is springs and struts, but in one way or another many of the suspension components have important functions od support of the wheel assembly and control. People will speed $1000 on wheels, $1000 on stereo and the like and want to "go cheap" on operating parts.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
I've read these parts only lasted 30 days of normal use ......along ways from 5 years
Good to know. Do you know where you read that?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsjaf2009 View Post
Load is springs and struts, but in one way or another many of the suspension components have important functions od support of the wheel assembly and control. People will speed $1000 on wheels, $1000 on stereo and the like and want to "go cheap" on operating parts.
Good point.

It's kind of an oxymoron. Whats worse....shacking and drifting all over the road due to worn bushings or cheap parts for a few years?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSC540ia View Post
googled it
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
googled it . And a few said some of the chinese made parts ( thats what your looking at ) did not even fit to begin with. I think people that didn't want OEM Lemforder went with Meyle but after much research I got my Lemforder complete rebuild suspension parts from OEMBimmerparts.com and I was very happy even though they were a few hundred more and BMW tried to convince me they weren't the same ( only difference is no BMW stamp ) I got them and did it all in my garage in 2 days at a fraction of the cost to have it done by Indie shops or BMW service. In fact its such a savings for the same money you could add coilovers and new tires and still be under the cost.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM

I went through my '95 740i with 126K and identified what was needed and looked questionable. Bought the parts (Center link, tie-rod ends, stabilizer bar links, thrust arm bushings)...spent about the $300 on quality parts and did the work myself. It blew an entire weekend but I believe was worth it. Center link (drag link) and tie-rod ends and one of the stabiler bar links were definitely needed...others were probably good.
The suspension is designed for the vehicle, but requires regular maintenance. Wheels balance and alignment save much wear and tear of the steering and suspension system.
Of course since 1995 the composition of the material in the bushings and boots, etc, has improved. I am in a hot dry climate. If you are in an area with snow and saly compounds on the roads, it means you frequently wash the underside of the vehicle thoroughly and regularly. I grew up in the mid-west and dealt with those conditions.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Jason, may I ask why you purchased a BMW?
If it was totally for some sort of status, then I'd suggest to go ahead & put the cheap struts on. Nobody but you (& anybody who knows BMWs & rides in your car) will ever know.

If it was because you appreciate the ride & handling, along with the build quality and performance, then spend the money and get the correct parts so that you can enjoy the car, and drive it like it was meant to be driven.

Of course you don't have to follow anybody's suggestions if you're going to get the inexpensive parts, but then, why would you post here? Did you actually think somebody would say that the less expensive, cheaper quality parts are just fine for you German car?

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
Jason, may I ask why you purchased a BMW?
If it was totally for some sort of status, then I'd suggest to go ahead & put the cheap struts on. Nobody but you (& anybody who knows BMWs & rides in your car) will ever know.

If it was because you appreciate the ride & handling, along with the build quality and performance, then spend the money and get the correct parts so that you can enjoy the car, and drive it like it was meant to be driven.

Of course you don't have to follow anybody's suggestions if you're going to get the inexpensive parts, but then, why would you post here? Did you actually think somebody would say that the less expensive, cheaper quality parts are just fine for you German car?
Anyone who has an E38 or 39 is not interested in status. These cars are 15+ years old. I have always loved the way BMWs ride and drive. Do I think these parts would be fine....its possiable. Thats why Im asking if anyone has used something like this.

If your one of those people that only put BMW parts on your car because everything else is "garbage" thats fine. Maybe some people enjoy these cars put cant really afford to spend that kind of money all the time.

I have no doubt that there are some quality parts out there that are not made in Germany.

There is something to be said about German engineering, and then theres something to be said about German engineering.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 PM

I don't think of it as a purest thing, although I have had many Bimmers starting with a 67 1600 , 73 2002 tii, many more I took my 88 m5 to Dinan for many expensive upgrades. You can get many good deals for your 7 without spending a fortune and learning to work on it yourself is the number 1 money saver. With the $ you save DIY you can buy tools to make the job easier and make it affordable to buy the right parts. The point is most of the time you get what you pay for and those parts are crap so you will do it and then do it again so where is the savings? My advice is learn to DIY thats where you save money !

Last edited by setconstr; 04-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
I don't think of it as a purest thing, although I have had many Bimmers starting with a 67 1600 , 73 2002 tii, many more I took my 88 m5 to Dinan for many expensive upgrades. You can get many good deals for your 7 without spending a fortune and learning to work on it yourself is the number 1 money saver. With the $ you save DIY you can buy tools to make the job easier and make it affordable to buy the right parts. The point is most of the time you get what you pay for and those parts are crap so you will do it and then do it again so where is the savings? My advice is learn to DIY thats where you save money !
I do believe you get what you pay for. I was just wondering if anyone has bought these. I do DIY. By trade Im an aircraft mach for 23 years. I do all my work to include engine and tranny rebuilds to ECU programming for air, fuel and ignition maps. The DIY is not the issue.

I still cant believe you can get complete front and rear suspension kit for $260. It makes it very tempting. I have never bought parts like this. 99% of the time I order from EAC or Bavarian Auto.

A lot of people are quick to judge. They never used them but just say there junk. Why? From reading some guys review on the internet? Maybe he did'nt install them correctly. Who knows, they may be very good.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 750iL
Its down to accumulated wisdom. Lots of non OEM parts have been tried- Angel eyes (melting ballast), Maf sensor (poor running), LED tail lights (water leaks), suspension parts (last 12 months). In the end you realise its not worth the hassle and and what will amout to wasted $, when you have fit genuine parts.

Of course if you have the time and like doing suspension repairs it could be a valid view to fit cheap and accept doing the job again in a few thousand miles, if the parts are cheap enough.

However, these are probably Chinese parts and I don't feel convinced that quality control is sufficient for me to risk the family in a 2 ton car at high speed on dubious suspension parts...Another forum showed a pic of a Chinses aftermarket alloy that had hit a pot hole and broke in half round its entire circumference...'nuff said.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Check autohausaz.com . They do not have as wide a selection as rockauto.com and a couple others, but they offer only the OEM parts or the Manufacturer spec'd alternative. When I find what I need there, it usually has a price that I am very happy with. Shipping and delivery is quick. Enough of the commercial. I respect the fact that you were asking a question..."has anyone had experience with these". Of course, now that we have all finish 'yelling' about them, anyone who had good experience with them is afraid to say it.
Hope you enjoy your BMW for many years to come.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
Its down to accumulated wisdom. Lots of non OEM parts have been tried- Angel eyes (melting ballast), Maf sensor (poor running), LED tail lights (water leaks), suspension parts (last 12 months). In the end you realise its not worth the hassle and and what will amout to wasted $, when you have fit genuine parts.

Of course if you have the time and like doing suspension repairs it could be a valid view to fit cheap and accept doing the job again in a few thousand miles, if the parts are cheap enough.

However, these are probably Chinese parts and I don't feel convinced that quality control is sufficient for me to risk the family in a 2 ton car at high speed on dubious suspension parts...Another forum showed a pic of a Chinses aftermarket alloy that had hit a pot hole and broke in half round its entire circumference...'nuff said.
Chrisn7

Thank you for your input. I did some research last night and low and behold, BMW has been out sourcing parts to China for some years now. From elec to cooling system parts. After owning 3 BMW's Iam not sold on the plastics and rubber BMW used on the E38's and 39's. I have already replaced my front upper and lower control arms. Its time to do the center track rod, tie rods, and wheel bearings. Just came across these items and was wondering. Maybe was hoping a little bit that some people would chime in and had a good experiance with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsjaf2009 View Post
Check autohausaz.com . They do not have as wide a selection as rockauto.com and a couple others, but they offer only the OEM parts or the Manufacturer spec'd alternative. When I find what I need there, it usually has a price that I am very happy with. Shipping and delivery is quick. Enough of the commercial. I respect the fact that you were asking a question..."has anyone had experience with these". Of course, now that we have all finish 'yelling' about them, anyone who had good experience with them is afraid to say it.
Hope you enjoy your BMW for many years to come.
Jitsjaf2009

I have never ordered from those site. Only EAC or Bavarian Auto. This site has a lot of good things to offer. One of the things I hate is the way some people are so quick to judge, never even having experiance with said parts. Did I think they were as good as made in Germany parts? No. But honestly, if a few people had chimed in saying they bought these and had 30k+ miles with no issues, I might have considerd it. We are here to help people with there questions and experiances. Not judge, and ridicule. At least the E38 fourm is not as ruthless as the E39 section. I just dont understand how some people can go through life where the first thing out of there mouth is always negitive. Thank you for your positive comment.

Thanks to all for your comment/"concern".
Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
There is rude people every where you go. Its just easy for people to be dicks when its not to your face. Hey try the parts out if they work well let us know. I just prefer to see what I am buying b.f. the money is handed over. Now e-bay has protection on purchases. But if you don't like what you see you have to send it back pay shipping and all that jazz. Best of luck my friend. One more thing, depends how hard you drive the car. Mine hits 100 daily so I put expensive parts on it, but that's just me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First740il View Post
There is rude people every where you go. Its just easy for people to be dicks when its not to your face.
True statement.

Iam seriously thinking about it. The guy even offers a 1 year warrenty. If they do wear out in 30 days as some people who have never used them have suggested, then Im covered. He even offers free return shipping.

chrisn7, you mentioned something about a pot hole. How big was this pot hole? It might of been big enough to break made in Germany parts

Im still undecided. If I do go this route I will drive the car for 6+ months to make sure I can write a decent review.

The way things are going everything will be made in China. Back to the furture Part III has a referance of "made in Japan". Look at stuff made in Japan now. My Denon 4802 reciever I bought new in 2000 still runs strong
Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
WAR MACHINE

Send a message via AIM to beemer1804 Send a message via Yahoo to beemer1804
Mein Auto: 95 740IL
Quote:
True statement.

Iam seriously thinking about it. The guy even offers a 1 year warrenty. If they do wear out in 30 days as some people who have never used them have suggested, then Im covered. He even offers free return shipping.

chrisn7, you mentioned something about a pot hole. How big was this pot hole? It might of been big enough to break made in Germany parts

Im still undecided. If I do go this route I will drive the car for 6+ months to make sure I can write a decent review.

The way things are going everything will be made in China. Back to the furture Part III has a referance of "made in Japan". Look at stuff made in Japan now. My Denon 4802 reciever I bought new in 2000 still runs strong
try pelicanparts.com or thebmwpartstore.com or of course oembimmerparts, try meyle if your looking for something cheaper. Your not just paying for the brand but the building and research of the parts, thats the reason why the price is so up there, but yea its worth it, my rear suspension on my e38 is completely factory meaning it hasnt even been changed yet and its great(besides the rust) and im at 207k, so you be the judge.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 PM

I just ordered new "***" wheel bearings from Bavarian Auto. I plan on changing them this weekend and doing a good inspection of parts. I already changed upper and lower control arms about 10 months ago. Was looking at doing tie rods and cross bar in the future.

During some research it looks like the Meyle componets are made in China.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 AM
WAR MACHINE

Send a message via AIM to beemer1804 Send a message via Yahoo to beemer1804
Mein Auto: 95 740IL
Re: Front & rear suspension rebuild for $260!

Quote:
I just ordered new "***" wheel bearings from Bavarian Auto. I plan on changing them this weekend and doing a good inspection of parts. I already changed upper and lower control arms about 10 months ago. Was looking at doing tie rods and cross bar in the future.

During some research it looks like the Meyle componets are made in China.
Look for Meyle HD, those should be very good.

Sent from my ADR6400L using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740i
Please keep this in the back of head. I deal with German manufactures on a daily bases, as well as china, Pak and USA. I go USA whenever I can, just perfer to give back. Over the years, german manufacture have been out sourcing there parts to china to produce, then they do the finish work to them. this allows them to stamp MADE IN GERMANY. This is a fact. I am not saying BMW Parts are being done this was, but this is huge in the medical industry.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
BMW740i

Mein Auto: 740i
Hi everybody for the pros and cons on the quality of the OEM BMW parts vs. Chinese counterparts.
1. Last week, I just replaced the 2 front lower control arms on my 2000 740i b/c of 45-55 MPH shimmy. they were the original BMW arms that I just replaced. They are bad for being used for over 120Kmi in 13 yrs. When I examined the rubber of the ball joints, it does not have that many cracks as the USA ball joints of 98 Suburban that were replaced 2 yrs ago and those on my 2000 Camry. The rubber on the 2000 Camry is still held together without grease spilled out. It is not separated like the rubber in my 98 Suburban which was completely opened with grease spilled out. I must say that in general, Chinese quality is still below that of USA, Japan and EU. It is very hard to be able to differentiate the quality of the same products because the majority of them is actual produced in China because of the lower labor cost. I just hope that USA, Japan and EU impose more stringent specifications/requirements that Chinese manufacturers must comply.
2. I solved the 45 MPH shimmy by replacing 2 front control arms. Now, the front end alignment shop just told me that my BMW needs the replacement of the rear control arms as well before the car can be aligned. It costs $430 for 1 arm replacement. I am thinking of buying the good parts and do it myself. I will shop for Lemforder parts. Would anyone suggest any vendor for relative decent prices on Lemforder parts? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by bmw2qnj2le; 05-08-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Check autohausaz.com . I have been satisfied with prices, and quality.
BavAuto.com is also good...maybe a little pricey.