Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi coupe
Post Lowering a 335xi because of ride height...please help

Hi guys I need your help

I have a 2008 335 xi coupe and basically purchased the AWD xi as winter car because I live in cleveland. I know that the xi model ride height is higher to deal with the snow mainly with the front springs. I recently purchased a pair of 19 inch rims which I like but the issue is like most people on this forum, the ride height mainly in the front shows too much of the wheel well (nearly four fingerbreadths in the front and two in the rear). I basically would like to have the stance of the 335i. A friend of mine has 19s on his 335i which is perfect of two fingerbreadths in the and 1.5 fingerbreadths in the rear. I understand this would change my suspension and have stiffer handling but I am ok with this because the whole point is to have a better look of the car. I do not want to purchase coilovers mainly because of the cost and was hoping to just buy just lowering springs. My question is if you can put 335i springs on a 335 xi and would that make me have the ride height of the 335. Also because the rear ride height is not so bad, I was thinking of just changing the front springs to bring down the front end. I am also concerned if I drop the rear I will get cupping which looks awful as the car covers a portion of the tire. What do you guys suggest? Is this worth trying? Would you go with 335i springs or aftermarket?

Thanks so much
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
1) Because you have xenon lights, you also need to adjust the self-levelling system.
2) You can't just change the springs, you need the shocks, too, since the valving is different due to both the higher spring rate of the 'xi springs, and the height (changes where the valves are in the cartridge.)
3) Because the front suspension is quite different, I'm not totally sure that the springs will fit (probably, but.)
4) I believe that the front roll bar is different, you may need to change it, too.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Im going to change mine too mainky because the sports springs have much less body roll

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi coupe
From further research, looks like eibach for 335i work on the xi and have less of a drop in the rear for a better look than H & R springs. I think not changing the shocks will cause them to wear out quicker but if they do I'll probably consider bilstein's.