Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Help!!! Removed manifold and two hoses are left unconnected!!

Hello. Mine is 2002 bmw x5 3.0. I have secondary air pump issues(vacuum control switch is bad). So, I removed intake manifold and replaced old vacuum control switch. This switch is really difficult to change without removing intake manifold.

In the middle of putting back all parts, I noticed two plastic hoses(upside-down U shaped) were left unconnected to anywhere. I attach photos.

The first hose is located behind oil tube(Figure 1). Since it is blocked by oil tube, I pull it out so that it can be seen(Figure 2).

The second hose is below intake manifold and can not be seen directly(Figure 3).

I am pretty sure that these two should not be left unconnected. If anybody can tell me where these two hoses should go and be connected, it will be really great. Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fig1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	497049   Click image for larger version

Name:	fig2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	497050   Click image for larger version

Name:	fig3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	497051  
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
One of them is the breather tube (vent) for the transfer case. It should not connect to anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:58 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I just found other threads about the same issue. But, I really appreciate.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM

Another Question

Hey ScottZHP. I actually have one more question. Sorry for bothering you.

After I completely removed intake manifold and replaced non-returnable valve, I thought it should be connected to the #1 nipple in the back of intake manifold(please refer to the photo below). Can you tell me whether I am correct or wrong? Also, I thought #2 nipple was connected to the splash wall since I found one unconnected hose from splash wall. So, can you also tell me where #2 nipple should be connected? Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	498034  
Old 05-17-2015, 05:30 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Sorry, just seeing this question now.

For reference, I believe #1 gets a cap on it not connected to anything and #2 is connected to the check valve vacuum hose.
The larger nipple to the right of #2 also gets capped. Neither of these vacuum ports are used on the E53 M54 intake.

The caps are metric size and only a dealer carries them - or order them online:

11 61 1 437 560 - smaller rubber cap
11 61 1 727 176 - larger rubber cap

Use a small mirror and a flashlight to replace them; stuff your hand alongside the water lines from the heater. These are a common source of vacuum leaks.

While you're back there, it's a good idea to replace the vacuum line to the secondary air valve. This is a hardline tube with 6in of rubber hose on each end. It run under the precat O2 sensor wires along the valve cover. The end at the secondary air valve is easy to replace, the other end at the vacuum solenoid is a lot of fun. It's connected to the solenoid valve mounted on the back of the intake; the inlet nipple faces the firewall about 4 inches down.

11 72 7 574 490 - vacuum line, solenoid valve to secondary air pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.

Last edited by Scott ZHP; 05-17-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Added part numbers