Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
Thinking of leasing X3 2.5, please help!

Hi, I am thinking of doing a lease for a x3 2.5 auto. I have two major quesitons, please help me out!

My first quesiton is about lease. This would be my first lease ever in my live, so I don't really know how to go about it. Currently, BMWNA has speciall offer for lease, I believe the lease terms there is based on MSRP, I wonder if I can do better than that. How should I negociate for a lease? what kind of terms I need to get?

My 2nd question is about the options in X3. It seems the base model has very limited features. I was going to go with sport package, xenon, auto, sunroof only, but I found that without getting premium package, I will not have arm rest, map lights, storage pockage behind front seats, cruise control, OBC, ..... a lot of things. I wonder if all your X3 owner out there got premium package. If you were to get X3 again, how would you configure your X3? Assuming it is a 2.5L model.

Thanks a lot!

eel
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2004, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X3/02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa
Hi, I am thinking of doing a lease for a x3 2.5 auto. I have two major quesitons, please help me out!

My first quesiton is about lease. This would be my first lease ever in my live, so I don't really know how to go about it. Currently, BMWNA has speciall offer for lease, I believe the lease terms there is based on MSRP, I wonder if I can do better than that. How should I negociate for a lease? what kind of terms I need to get?

My 2nd question is about the options in X3. It seems the base model has very limited features. I was going to go with sport package, xenon, auto, sunroof only, but I found that without getting premium package, I will not have arm rest, map lights, storage pockage behind front seats, cruise control, OBC, ..... a lot of things. I wonder if all your X3 owner out there got premium package. If you were to get X3 again, how would you configure your X3? Assuming it is a 2.5L model.

Thanks a lot!

eel
Eel,

I have a 2.5L with Premium and Auto. I would definitely get the Premium Package if you are buying the 2.5L model. You may be able to get away without it on the 3.0, but there are too many "necessities" with the premium package that should be standard on this car, but BMW was more concerned with its price point of starting the vehicle at close to 30K. I would actually recommend dropping the sport package. The ride can get pretty bumpy in the city (I spend a lot of time in DC and NYC) or on uneven roads. And according to many, the sport package is even harsher. If you live in suburbia or a fair weather state with nice roads or commute on a freeway, then the sport package me be worth it. However, on a day to day basis, you will appreciate those storage spaces, cruise control, and power/memory seats, and of course the panoramic sunroof even more. Not to mention the front end looks strange without fog lights.

The MSRP difference is only $2450 since you won't be ordering the sunroof separately and $950 if you drop the sport package.

I have never leased a car before, but it is my understanding that you can negotiate the sales price just as you would if you were purchasing/financing the car. The lease price does not have to be based on MSRP. The monthly payments are based on the sales price you agree to for the car and the residual value they calculate at the end of the lease. In effect you are paying the difference in those values (sales price - residual value) plus the additional lease expenses and fees. I am sure someone else on the board can help clarify this further.

Good luck with your search!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:26 AM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
You might want to review this thread . It has the current money rates and residuals.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 08-16-2004, 10:42 AM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
I can't help out with #1 but here's my response to #2:

X3 3.0, 6-spd manual, SP, PP, Xenon. I wouldn't get anything more or anything less. SP is a requirement for me, but sunny San Diego doesn't have that many potholes and the roads are relatively good. I know it sounds trivial, but the auto dimming mirrors of the PP are worth it...especially with larger boats/SUVs on the road.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:43 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Currently, BMWNA has speciall offer for lease, I believe the lease terms there is based on MSRP, I wonder if I can do better than that. How should I negociate for a lease? what kind of terms I need to get?

Thanks a lot!

eel
Negiotiate like any other car deal.

Shoot for a price as close to invoice as you can get, BMWFS lease program rates, and a minimum of fees. Some of the fees are not negotiable.

The residual is based on MSRP. Everything else is based on sales price.
Read up and understand how leases work. They are different than finance and it is easy for a dealer to hide costs. There are sticky posts on this board. There are other resources too.

Be sure to get ALL the numbers. Just like in a conventional finance purchase, dealers can mark up the financing and add fees. Getting a discounted sales price isn't enough. The lease program MF (lease version of APR) is low on the X3. I wouldn't be suprised if the dealer tries to mark it up some.

Be sure you understand what is required at lease turn-in BEFORE you start the lease. BMWFS has an on-line turn-in guide.

Options? If you want to take advantage of the great lease deals, you may have to settle for what you can find at a dealer. Kinda late to order a 2004.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 08-16-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Quote:

Thanks a lot!

eel
Mine has the premium package, leather and is an automatic. If I had to choose again I would get the same one (maybe go with the 3.0). I didn't really negotiate about the lease. I just had them figure up the payments and went with it.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to johntchow
Mein Auto: 2012 MW F30 335
Quote:

Thanks a lot!

eel
i would get sport package if you want a better steering wheel, better seats, better suspension and better looking rims.

the steering wheel is leather on the sport package. the seats seem to fit better especially if youre taller. the suspension holds very well. my parents have the X3 w/o sport and the bumpy ride is minimal at most. i can go over big dips and not have my car bounce me at all. and persoanlly i like the look of the sport rims vs the stock the rims.

i dont know what all this talk is about the bumpy ride on the X3 with sport. to me its minimal at most. ive driven both and if were not for the obvious physical appearances i seriosuly doubt you could tell the difference between the 2 other than the overall better handling with sport.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntchow
i would get sport package if you want a better steering wheel, better seats, better suspension and better looking rims.

the steering wheel is leather on the sport package. the seats seem to fit better especially if youre taller. the suspension holds very well. my parents have the X3 w/o sport and the bumpy ride is minimal at most. i can go over big dips and not have my car bounce me at all. and persoanlly i like the look of the sport rims vs the stock the rims.

i dont know what all this talk is about the bumpy ride on the X3 with sport. to me its minimal at most. ive driven both and if were not for the obvious physical appearances i seriosuly doubt you could tell the difference between the 2 other than the overall better handling with sport.
No, I am not concerned about the bumpy ride on X3. In fact, my original plan was to get SP, but now because of the cost, I think I will skip it. Becauae getting SP also require getting Leather, which bump the price up by $3K.

Any X3 owner here did NOT get SP?? any regret?

eel