Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 740i
all kinds of issues

1.. smoke at start up blue but runs grreat???? was told to replace the pcv???
2. oil leaks all over bottom of car- added stop leak and dye- - seems ok for now but the rear main seal still leaking? any suggestions???
3. tensioner or alter noise up front??? how can i test which one it is?
4. rasdio cut off as well as the turn signal indicators on dash??? ignition switch ive been told so im doing that today.....

all off my 2000 740i e38 4.4l

Last edited by jjzfitness; 04-24-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added more
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Smoke at start is most likly your CCV(PVC on other cars, CCV on BMW's). Pull your dip stick with car running and see if you have a lot of suction. If you do then yes, replace CCV.

Rear main seal....yeah, your gonna have to pull the tranny or motor to replace.

For the noise, I would sugeest getting a car stethoscope from a parts store to help isolate your noise. Most likly a tensioner pulley but you never know.

Ignition switch sounds about right for your other issue.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
for the noise, you could always remove the belts that run through the alternator, start the car up and see if it still makes it. If so, then consider the pulleys, tensioners, belts, etc. Can also do the same for the power steering belts.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
for the noise, you could always remove the belts that run through the alternator, start the car up and see if it still makes it. If so, then consider the pulleys, tensioners, belts, etc. Can also do the same for the power steering belts.
aom7

The same belt runs the water pump, alt, power steering and has 2 tensioner pulleys also. If you take the belt off then your not going to be able to hear whats making the noise.

Maybe I mis-understood what your saying.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM

I need to take a look, but you might be right, it's been a few months since I've been in there (great, just jinxed myself!) HAHA. So were there 2 or 3 belts on the E38... one runs the AC compressor and goes through some pulleys, then the other ones do the alternator, pulleys and you're saying the WP and P/S as well?

M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
I need to take a look, but you might be right, it's been a few months since I've been in there (great, just jinxed myself!) HAHA. So were there 2 or 3 belts on the E38... one runs the AC compressor and goes through some pulleys, then the other ones do the alternator, pulleys and you're saying the WP and P/S as well?
aom7

You are correct in that statment. There are only 2 belts. 1 runs ac, and the other runs everything else.

Cheers
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSC540ia View Post
aom7

You are correct in that statment. There are only 2 belts. 1 runs ac, and the other runs everything else.

Cheers
ah very good. I would only remove either belt then to help isolate which of the two drive belt componets it could be coming from. I had a low Hz vibration coming from the front, but couldn't tell what from, so by removing the belts I figured out it was a p/s pump that was on its last legs. But if one already knows it's coming from one of the belts' components, then the steth. might be the way to go. My noise was too low and at too varied of an rpm that I couldnt use one, but in the OPs case, might be best.

Then again, if he ends up replacing one pulley/tensioner, I'd just do them all if they haven't been.

E38 740i Jet Black