Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I need advice on what to buy...

A little background I had an E60 535i that I recently sold at auction due to the turbos leaking oil.. I loved my 535i but had to get rid of it since I did not purchase an extended warranty. I have always wanted an M3 since I had my first experience in the passenger seat of an E46 when I was 13yrs old. I am in the car business so I get a demo car from work but it's just a vanilla Toyota Camry that I HATE driving. I am not in a huge hurry but I would like to have a car of my own sooner than later.

I really want an M3 but there are not many out there on the wholesale or retail market. There are several 335's out there I can get, for a great price, hard loaded, at auction. I feel like the practical thing to do is get a 335 and mod the heck out of it and save some $. But I feel like if I get the 335 I am just going to regret not buying an M3. If I buy an M3 right now I am going to have to pay full retail. The M3 is exactly what I want, but it will be at the very top of my budget. I just don't know what to do...

So I need some advice on which vehicle to pursue. If I get a 335 I can modify it to my personal preference and get all the equipment I desire, but it will never be an M3. If I get an M3, I am more than likely going to have to settle. If I get the 335 I am afraid I will always regret not waiting around for the right M3 at the right price... I just cannot make up my mind and need a little help from the fest.
Ads by Google
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by moods14 View Post
A little background I had an E60 535i that I recently sold at auction due to the turbos leaking oil.. I loved my 535i but had to get rid of it since I did not purchase an extended warranty. I have always wanted an M3 since I had my first experience in the passenger seat of an E46 when I was 13yrs old. I am in the car business so I get a demo car from work but it's just a vanilla Toyota Camry that I HATE driving. I am not in a huge hurry but I would like to have a car of my own sooner than later.

I really want an M3 but there are not many out there on the wholesale or retail market. There are several 335's out there I can get, for a great price, hard loaded, at auction. I feel like the practical thing to do is get a 335 and mod the heck out of it and save some $. But I feel like if I get the 335 I am just going to regret not buying an M3. If I buy an M3 right now I am going to have to pay full retail. The M3 is exactly what I want, but it will be at the very top of my budget. I just don't know what to do...

So I need some advice on which vehicle to pursue. If I get a 335 I can modify it to my personal preference and get all the equipment I desire, but it will never be an M3. If I get an M3, I am more than likely going to have to settle. If I get the 335 I am afraid I will always regret not waiting around for the right M3 at the right price... I just cannot make up my mind and need a little help from the fest.
Go drive a 2011 C63. Sold!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Keep looking for an M3, you won't be disappointed. You'll have similar issues you had with the 535 with the 335.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
how old was your 535?
you can wait till your dream cars comes along, might be awhile and you could be driving a 335 a lot sooner, the turbos have 100K mile warranty just like the HPFP, and get an extended warranty too

if you come across a M3 then sell the 335
Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
how old was your 535?
you can wait till your dream cars comes along, might be awhile and you could be driving a 335 a lot sooner, the turbos have 100K mile warranty just like the HPFP, and get an extended warranty too

if you come across a M3 then sell the 335
It was an '08. I plan on getting an extended service contract on my next bimmer. I have literally searched the entire nation and prices are ridiculous on M3's right now. 2008-2009 are retailing $35-$42 depending on mileage. My original intention was to purchase at auction. Auction purchase does not seem possible, in the past 90 days there have been less than 100 sold at auction nation-wide. So who knows how long it will take to finally find one.

Has anyone went from M3 to 335i or vice versa as a DD?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i (6MT, ZSP, ZPP)
Be patient, get the M3.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Since you live in Chicago, you need to ask yourself if the rear wheel drive M3 will suffice for you in the snowy months. The M isnt made in all wheel drive.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 AW M3 ZCP
I'm in the same boat and city...i'm looking to get an M3/M4 hopefully by the end of the year. From my experience I would say that you should hold off an get the car you want. I was seriously considering a 335i m-sport but I KNEW that I would feel like i would be settling.

I actually live in the city and the streets get plowed pretty quickly and decently when it snows. The main arteries are almost always taken care of. I fortunately have a garage and my house is right off a main artery; I also have no alleyway to contend with, so I don't anticipate winters being that bad here in Chicago. I will admit that I am budgeting for winter and summer wheels/tires but otherwise.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhisten View Post
Since you live in Chicago, you need to ask yourself if the rear wheel drive M3 will suffice for you in the snowy months. The M isnt made in all wheel drive.
Go minus 1 on snow tires with BMW steel wheels and an M3 will be fine in the snow in chicago, no different than here in boston.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM

The weather in Chicago does not really bother me since I can always take a AWD SUV or car from work. I think I'm going to hold off and wait for an M3, now the only question is do I get 6spd or MDCT.... Chicago traffic is making me lean more towards the MDCT.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
The weather in Chicago does not really bother me since I can always take a AWD SUV or car from work. I think I'm going to hold off and wait for an M3, now the only question is do I get 6spd or MDCT.... Chicago traffic is making me lean more towards the MDCT.
Both transmissions are phenomenal, the only issue I had with DCT is long term repair, so that really depends on how long you intend to keep the beast.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Both transmissions are phenomenal, the only issue I had with DCT is long term repair, so that really depends on how long you intend to keep the beast.
I am going to keep it for 3-4 years and I am going to get a 3-4 yr platinum warranty (comprehensive coverage). Depends on whether I get an '08 or '09. If I get an '09 I'll probably keep it for four years. I'd like to get the '09 for the new iDrive update. It's hard for me to justify paying an extra $3k for M3's with the same mileage and options because it's a year newer.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
I am going to keep it for 3-4 years and I am going to get a 3-4 yr platinum warranty (comprehensive coverage). Depends on whether I get an '08 or '09. If I get an '09 I'll probably keep it for four years. I'd like to get the '09 for the new iDrive update. It's hard for me to justify paying an extra $3k for M3's with the same mileage and options because it's a year newer.
It was tough looking, I ended up with an '08 with 20k miles, but it has everything, except DCT and the iDrive, meh, both aren't that great and just toys. If you can get lower mileage on an '08, and it has enhanced sound, tech, pkg, EDC, Prem2 pkg, ZCW, M220 wheels - I'd go for that over the '09. Also, in '09, BMW started to go cheap on some of the interior pieces, like the sun visors became some crappy plastic.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It was tough looking, I ended up with an '08 with 20k miles, but it has everything, except DCT and the iDrive, meh, both aren't that great and just toys. If you can get lower mileage on an '08, and it has enhanced sound, tech, pkg, EDC, Prem2 pkg, ZCW, M220 wheels - I'd go for that over the '09. Also, in '09, BMW started to go cheap on some of the interior pieces, like the sun visors became some crappy plastic.
negotiating a deal on this piece: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=343265480

My saleswoman is faxing copies of the service records this afternoon. It feels weird being on the other side of the car buying process. Depending on the service records, and current measurements of the brake I may be buying this even though I want a coupe.

Edit: I need something under 50k miles because the difference in warranty price for a 3yr 36k b-b is about $1,100.00

Last edited by moods14; 04-25-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
negotiating a deal on this piece: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=343265480

My saleswoman is faxing copies of the service records this afternoon. It feels weird being on the other side of the car buying process. Depending on the service records, and current measurements of the brake I may be buying this even though I want a coupe.

Edit: I need something under 50k miles because the difference in warranty price for a 3yr 36k b-b is about $1,100.00
It looks very well cared for from the photos and a good amount of packages included. If you can negotiate or get ahold of the maintenance records, that tells a good story. Make sure if they measure the pads, they measure the INSIDE pads, many techs just go from the outside and that's no good. Also, looking at the CBS for pad wear is [ridiculous] not a good idea.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It looks very well cared for from the photos and a good amount of packages included. If you can negotiate or get ahold of the maintenance records, that tells a good story. Make sure if they measure the pads, they measure the INSIDE pads, many techs just go from the outside and that's no good. Also, looking at the CBS for pad wear is [ridiculous] not a good idea.

Yeah, she said she was sending over the build sheet and the service records. At auction there was one sold with the same miles on the west coast for $33,500.00 so I have a good idea what they paid for it. After recon they are probably into the car for $34,500-$34,700 at most. Nice thing is they are willing to wholesale it to the dealership I work at so I can finance at buy rate and get my warranty for $100 over cost.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Yeah, she said she was sending over the build sheet and the service records. At auction there was one sold with the same miles on the west coast for $33,500.00 so I have a good idea what they paid for it. After recon they are probably into the car for $34,500-$34,700 at most. Nice thing is they are willing to wholesale it to the dealership I work at so I can finance at buy rate and get my warranty for $100 over cost.
It is a good deal. With the build date of 1/08, I would expect the car to have 5 oil services including the 1200 mile service for diff/tranny/engine. tranny/diff shoudl have been changed at 30k and brake/clutch fluid every other year (not mileage). It has the original oil cap, which was prone to leaks, but I don't see any oil on the valve cover. Serpentine belts will be ready to change before 60k, and that's literally a cake-walk. Tires look good and I expect brake pads to be ok as well although I changed mine out immediately to the stop tech street pads. I found the interior novillo leather quite tough and easy to clean. It also has a clear bra, which looks in good condition. A quick paint correction service and it will look better than showroom. She is a good find if service records check out.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
It is a good deal. With the build date of 1/08, I would expect the car to have 5 oil services including the 1200 mile service for diff/tranny/engine. tranny/diff shoudl have been changed at 30k and brake/clutch fluid every other year (not mileage). It has the original oil cap, which was prone to leaks, but I don't see any oil on the valve cover. Serpentine belts will be ready to change before 60k, and that's literally a cake-walk. Tires look good and I expect brake pads to be ok as well although I changed mine out immediately to the stop tech street pads. I found the interior novillo leather quite tough and easy to clean. It also has a clear bra, which looks in good condition. A quick paint correction service and it will look better than showroom. She is a good find if service records check out.
Thanks for all the info Kurgan! I am patiently waiting for this eFax to pop up on my email. If it checks out I could be driving her by this time next week! I am still going to do a PDI since it will be purchased sight unseen.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Thanks for all the info Kurgan! I am patiently waiting for this eFax to pop up on my email. If it checks out I could be driving her by this time next week! I am still going to do a PDI since it will be purchased sight unseen.
Yes, absolutely get an inspection. Surprisingly, the E9xM3 are holding up well with many over the 100k mark.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, absolutely get an inspection. Surprisingly, the E9xM3 are holding up well with many over the 100k mark.
Kurgan, he sent over the service info and the options list. It's attached, what do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M3 SERVICE INFO.pdf (255.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Kurgan, he sent over the service info and the options list. It's attached, what do you think?
It's a good history, albiet I would have changed the oil annually, or maybe it was done and not recorded? Brake changes are done in a timely fashion, I'm a yearly guy, but some aren't. Plugs were changed before the 37k mark and not many return dealer trips. Things I did as a baseline when I picked up the '08:

1. Brake/clutch flush
2. Alignment
3. trans flush (I'm a 15k guy)
4. diff flush (I wanted the new fluid BMW part #)
5. Brake pads
6. Flushed power steering
7. Plugs
8. Macht Schnell air filter
9. DME software update to 240E

At the price you can acquire her for, it's like theft.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It's a good history, albiet I would have changed the oil annually, or maybe it was done and not recorded? Brake changes are done in a timely fashion, I'm a yearly guy, but some aren't. Plugs were changed before the 37k mark and not many return dealer trips. Things I did as a baseline when I picked up the '08:

1. Brake/clutch flush
2. Alignment
3. trans flush (I'm a 15k guy)
4. diff flush (I wanted the new fluid BMW part #)
5. Brake pads
6. Flushed power steering
7. Plugs
8. Macht Schnell air filter
9. DME software update to 240E

At the price you can acquire her for, it's like theft.
hahaha thanks for the feedback. My manager/brother gets back from the auction in two hours I'm going to get him on the phone and buy this car! Now to get the bad news from Allstate on insuring a 24yr old with a 400hp beast...