Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
QFT.

Or to be less diplomatic about it:

The 335 isn't as pretty and you only have to buy her a Coach purse but it doesn't take much (maybe just one glass of pinot) to get her in a mood to give you a wild ride (although she may lack some stamina and you may have to take a little break before Round 2).

The E9x M3 is like a very very sexy woman who requires Gucci, eats all your food and needs to get really really hammered before admitting entrance to paradise by the dashboard light.

Then there are those equally hot AMG and Audi chicks who get drunk quickly and actually make even more interesting noises.
Only a guy citing his location as Santana Row would post something like this... SR - the most materialistic, plastic place north of LA-LA-Land... That stereotype of BMW owners being D-bags...? Yeah...

I guess I'm in the minority of those who disagree about the M3 as overrated. If they made a 4 door version, I'd be waiting on its delivery instead of a 335. I LOVED my e46, which had even less torque, and my e39 M5 was also lacking in the low end twist. Didn't mean they weren't an absolute hoot to drive.

I also disagree about Subarus in general, and WRXs in particular as overrated. My '07 Rex has taken me to the ski slopes and back every weekend since mile 0 and is still going strong at 110k. It is loud and it feels cheap, but nothing has offered the same combo of fun, practicality and reliability for a lower cost. I'm loving our new Outback, too, but for different reason than the "boy racer" qualities.

I'm going to throw the new Audi Allroad in as overrated, albeit on a very limited test drive. The steering downright sucked with the new electric steering system, brake pedal was mushy and throttle tentative. And holy **** it was expensive for what you get! Which is why I went with the Outback...3/4 the luxury, 5/4 more space and 3/5 the price.

Lexus LFA and Nissan GTR, also, based purely on conjecture and magazine articles.

Last edited by slave2gravity; 04-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
....The exact thing you are bashing about in the E9x M3, lack of torque, was more pronounced in the E46 M3. I know because I own cars with both engines.

Do you care to elaborate what exactly left you "underwhelmed"?
I'm probably underwhelmed by the same things you like about it.

Anyway, torque is a big slice of that pie. When they moved to a V8, I was disappointed that it didn't have that trademark V8 character. There was no sense of occasion in firing it up. I have a former co-worker who had owned several M3s but then switched to a C63. That car has far more presence and drama (the good kind of drama).

The M3s I sampled were all very competent but also very clinical and felt cold to me. They would generate ungodly performance numbers but it was like some girl who would say "Sure, whatever" without even looking up as she continued to chew gum and file her fingernails. And when not pushed, it felt too docile.

The visual presence of the car does not excite me very much. Maybe the ///Marketing division is to blame for making "M Sport" body kits available.

With the S54, I suppose things are as they should be...you rev it to get something out of it. I also feel that even as a passenger, the E46's rough edges were endearing.

I very much look forward to owning one (as a second car) some day. During its reign, it may still have lacked torque but not to the same degree when you compare the E90 to its contemporaries (cars that not only overwhelm it in the very important torque department but have closed the gap in other areas as well). And in my eyes, the E46 M3, is the best looking M3.

Now this Car and Driver article is one that probably explains my viewpoint much better than I can: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Quote:
Conversely, your apparent idol, Jeremy Clarkson, commented on the E9x M3: "M3 is one of the most perfectly balanced machines ever created by man." I am not saying one is necessarily better (for its time) than the other, but your lopsided comment is not accurate.
Well balanced does not equal most fun. And Jezza has more fun in the Mercedes.

Quote:
I never said you did.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think people are confusing "Over Rated" with "more car than I need" or "I can't really take advantage of it"

CA
There's probably some truth to that as well. There's also a bit of "all hail the almighty and perfect M." All I'm saying is, "Yes, great car, but........"

Some like Enigma bring some good points/valid arguments while others essentially just go "well, it's an M. It's special. Period."
Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Subaru BRZ
328i, 335is is one hell of a car
Charger/Camaro/Challenger , the mustang is the only NEW muscle car worth it.
New vette stingray
This new Lexus/Hyundai stealing euro styling crap.

Most under rated cars

BMW 135/M1
Audi RS7

Flame me!!

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
They would generate ungodly performance numbers but it was like some girl who would say "Sure, whatever" without even looking up as she continued to chew gum and file her fingernails. And when not pushed, it felt too docile.
I kind of like that - understated elegance. Ungodly performance, subtle package. It doesn't need to make noise, or flash a gold tooth - it just does what it's made to do, and it does it in a kickbutt way. It's the difference between a bruiser and a boxer - the m3 is the boxer.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
Only a guy citing his location as Santana Row would post something like this... SR - the most materialistic, plastic place north of LA-LA-Land... That stereotype of BMW owners being D-bags...? Yeah...
So where do you live? Petaluma? Palo Alto? San Leandro?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I kind of like that - understated elegance. Ungodly performance, subtle package. It doesn't need to make noise, or flash a gold tooth - it just does what it's made to do, and it does it in a kickbutt way. It's the difference between a bruiser and a boxer - the m3 is the boxer.
Certainly can't disagree with what one likes.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority of those who disagree about the M3 as overrated. If they made a 4 door version, I'd be waiting on its delivery instead of a 335.
What do you mean, they do make a 4 door? Or if you mean the F30, did you not know that was on the way too?

Quote:
I also disagree about Subarus in general, and WRXs in particular as overrated. My '07 Rex has taken me to the ski slopes and back every weekend since mile 0 and is still going strong at 110k. It is loud and it feels cheap, but nothing has offered the same combo of fun, practicality and reliability for a lower cost. I'm loving our new Outback, too, but for different reason than the "boy racer" qualities.

I'm going to throw the new Audi Allroad in as overrated, albeit on a very limited test drive. The steering downright sucked with the new electric steering system, brake pedal was mushy and throttle tentative. And holy **** it was expensive for what you get! Which is why I went with the Outback...3/4 the luxury, 5/4 more space and 3/5 the price.
+1 we traded a 2002 WRX w/ 140k flawless miles for a 2012 Outback, because it was so quiet and comfortable compared to the CRV, which was loud on the highway. The Outback is a really good deal at $27k, imo.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Most overrated cars? To me that would be modern Mercedes and F-series BMWs. They both have a reputation and legacy that is over rated compared to what they currently deliver. Benz no longer deliver those carved from one block vault like cars that lasts forever and the F-series BMWs do not live up to the ultimate driving machine legacy built by earlier generations.

Last edited by solstice; 04-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority of those who disagree about the M3 as overrated. If they made a 4 door version, I'd be waiting on its delivery instead of a 335. I LOVED my e46, which had even less torque, and my e39 M5 was also lacking in the low end twist. Didn't mean they weren't an absolute hoot to drive.
After owning an E46 M3 for 6 years it's been a pleasurable experience moving to the F30 335i. I wouldn't say the M is overrated, it seems like the F30 is underrated to an extent. There's less of a gap between them than people give credit.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I think the F30 BMW is a nice car, but, it gets completely overrated by many of it's owners/posters here on Bimmerfest, IMO.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I think the F30 BMW is a nice car, but, it gets completely overrated by many of it's owners/posters here on Bimmerfest, IMO.
I enjoy you posting your dislike of the F30 in every thread.

Good to know that old people don't think high of it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
When was the F30 touted or overrated by someone? I think it's always been described as a german sedan that gets the job done...I'm conflicted by mine.
It drives excellently and the experience is superb - after I spent $7k in upgrading everything to the M Performance line. Was it bad before? No. But much better now.
What disappoints are the minor issues it has, like the random squeaking the dealership has to address, etc. Not really acceptable in this price range...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I enjoy you posting your dislike of the F30 in every thread.

Good to know that old people don't think high of it.
Every thread. Not even close. I actually say more good things about the car than bad. Here, I said it is a nice car.

Another very insightful thread by you however.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
A car must first have been highly rated before you can say it is possibly overrated.

As an example, the Accura TSX cannot be overrated since it was never much rated.

The difficulty here is, that leaves only a few cars people can actually say they might be overrated, and these cars happen to be dear in our hearts.

I suggest the mods shut this thread down before people are forced to talk s#&* about their own cars here.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
If you are calling a car "overrated" based on how much of car's ability you can harness on public roads, pretty much every BMW model is overrated. What urban areas can you drive your 335i to the fullest potential? None.
You can say the same about pretty much every Porsche?
Where exactly did you mention you had extended drives in E9x M3? Even if you had, how can you make a meaningful comparison between something you know (E9x M3) and you don't (E46 M3)? The exact thing you are bashing about in the E9x M3, lack of torque, was more pronounced in the E46 M3. I know because I own cars with both engines.
Do you care to elaborate what exactly left you "underwhelmed"?
All generations of the M3 had strong competitions. C&D declared the RS4 a winner in a comparo among AMG C55, BMW E46 M3 and Audi RS4 (link). Conversely, your apparent idol, Jeremy Clarkson, commented on the E9x M3: "M3 is one of the most perfectly balanced machines ever created by man." I am not saying one is necessarily better (for its time) than the other, but your lopsided comment is not accurate.
I never said you did.
You're fighting an uphill battle on this forum, brother. Wish I had time to argue along with you, but unfortunately I have company over and a wife who has a low tolerance to bimmerfest and M5board.

Just enjoy your beautiful stable and the fact that you're right. Having unlimited time to post is the best weapon here.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
You're fighting an uphill battle on this forum, brother. Wish I had time to argue along with you, but unfortunately I have company over and a wife who has a low tolerance to bimmerfest and M5board.

Just enjoy your beautiful stable and the fact that you're right. Having unlimited time to post is the best weapon here.
You let your wife know? Some people here'd rather admit their mistresses to their wives, than admitting their love affairs with Bimmerfest.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
You let your wife know? Some people here'd rather admit their mistresses to their wives, than admitting their love affairs with Bimmerfest.
Haha sorry only been married for about 7 months now so haven't really had time to pick up a mistress. She, on the other hand, has had several years to build her hate for bimmerfest.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Only a guy citing his location as Santana Row would post something like this... SR - the most materialistic, plastic place north of LA-LA-Land... That stereotype of BMW owners being D-bags...? Yeah....
Hey, my wife and I love to party at Santana Row! I could care less with the self absorbed crowd there. We have fun doing our thing!

The Scottsdale AZ crowd if far more self absorbed and materialistic. D-bags x 1000!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
She, on the other hand, has had several years to build her hate for bimmerfest.
Any particular reason? Or does she just think Bimmerfest is overrated?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Any particular reason? Or does she just think Bimmerfest is overrated?
Actually, she just thinks driving is overrated. I was lucky to get her into a car that I love to drive (335).

Literally when we bought her car she suggested I drive home. I declined even though I really wanted to. Whe we pulled of onto the main road our house is off of (3 miles from dealer) I suggested she turn right rather than left and enjoy the drive. she did so, and literally did a u-turn at the next light and went straigh home!

She went straight inside and put on Greys Anatomy or something similar. I took the car out for a drive the night we bought it and had a blasts!

Her last car before the 335 was a clk550. She wanted a "white Mercedes convertible". All she cares about is a badge and a certain two door form factor.

Last edited by Db750; 04-26-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
What do you mean, they do make a 4 door? Or if you mean the F30, did you not know that was on the way too?

+1 we traded a 2002 WRX w/ 140k flawless miles for a 2012 Outback, because it was so quiet and comfortable compared to the CRV, which was loud on the highway. The Outback is a really good deal at $27k, imo.
Yeah, I meant the F30. I thought about getting a CPO E90, but my brother just had a baby in December and I saw what a tight fit it is in his M3 with a rear facing child seat, which killed that idea. We're expecting our first daughter in August, so decided the F30 was a better choice. I know the new M is coming, so I'm leasing the 335 M Sport to give the new M3 time to come out and for BMW to address any issues that come with it.

I am loving the Outback more and more. Just drove it 5 hours up to Tahoe in stop and go traffic and open freeway, and it was so much more comfortable than the WRX. And holy crap the space... I do miss the acceleration of the WRX, though. I'd hoped Cobb Tuning would have something for the 3.6, but sadly nothing.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Quote:
So where do you live? Petaluma? Palo Alto? San Leandro?

Hahahahaha...the Palo Alto emoticon is awesome, I've never seen that before! But no, none of those places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzWildcatG View Post
Hey, my wife and I love to party at Santana Row! I could care less with the self absorbed crowd there. We have fun doing our thing!

The Scottsdale AZ crowd if far more self absorbed and materialistic. D-bags x 1000!
Visiting and partying there is one thing...my wife is there right now with one her girlfriends as a matter of fact!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
so basically you are bashing the m3 based on hearsay and your experience as a passenger?

I must have two of the most overrated bmws ever produced because the torque from the s65 and the s54 is nothing like the n55 or n20.

And if 9 out 10 drivers cannot benefit from all the stuff that the car offers, it's overrated? Gee... add the 328i to the list since 9 of 10 328i buyers get it for the roundel as a status symbol.
bj 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSport; 02 RSX
Most overrated? Not the 3 Series....too many on the road, car mags and car reviewers give it excellent reviews.
Overpriced? If you add too many options and after the warranty runs out.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg (Adaptive M Susp, Var Sport Steering), Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Sunroof, Alarm
Mods: Tint, DIY lower intake grill guard, ASS recoded
18K miles
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswatchco View Post
So, a BMW is no fun and lacks personality but your front wheel drive Accord is a "beast" I'll bet.
Now from where did this come from? Stick to the topic and stop trolling...
FYI I drive a E90....

Feel a little disappointed with this forum sometimes... seems like we have a bunch of kids who just want to provoke other members for no apparent reason...
2013 Honda Accord EX-L, Modern Steel Metallic/Black Interior
2009 BMW 328i, Jet Black/Black Interior/Premium/Sports/Navi/iPod/Xenon/Automatic
Past:
2008 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Black Interior/Navi

Last edited by deznium; 04-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.