Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
335i vs. M3 it is self- evident that many posters on this forum are just mouthing old hearsay truisms without having the benefit of actual seat time.

I drove a 335iMT for over 35K miles and have driven my M3 ZCP DCT for almost 20K miles. My 335i was fast, fun, and engaging but in no way does it match the thrilling experience of my M3. Yes, the M3 is fast 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, but more significantly it's the near instantaneous engine response that can be fine-tuned from "right now" to "crazy". For those who say the M3 lacks low end torque methinks, you have very limited, if any, seat time in an M3, or alternatively, you do not know how to properly drive an M3.

To those who question the M3's ability to perform as a daily driver, and its capacity to be appreciated on public roads I say nope the M3 is exceedingly easy to drive at low speeds and is far better riding than a 335i since it's not shod in nasty run-flats. In terms of spirited back road runs it's no contest. The M3 offers a communicative feast the car feels as if it is hard wired into your synapses endowed with steering from the gods, a finely tuned variable suspension and of course the s65 - to think it, is to do it .

The 335i is nice, but the M3 is qualitatively in a different class. I considered my $60K 335i to be rather expensive, but I regard my $75K M3 to be a steal. Indeed, before I bought my M3 I thought I was going to return to the ranks of Porsche. I was sure I might be purchasing one of the last 997 Carreras. When I test drove a 911 Carrera PDK back to back with an M3 it was no contest. The M3 was not only more functional but the better sports car independent of price.

The E92 M3 is magical and destined to be regarded as one of the finest enthusiast's cars BMW has ever built. BTW I go for days without ever turning on my stereo I prefer sublime M3 music vroommm!

Last edited by Capobranco; 04-27-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
335i vs. M3 it is self- evident that many posters on this forum are just mouthing old hearsay truisms without having the benefit of actual seat time.

I drove a 335iMT for over 35K miles and have driven my M3 ZCP DCT for almost 20K miles. My 335i was fast, fun, and engaging but in no way does it match the thrilling experience of my M3. Yes, the M3 is fast 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, but more significantly it's the near instantaneous engine response that can be fine-tuned from "right now" to "crazy". For those who say the M3 lacks low end torque methinks, you have very limited, if any, seat time in an M3, or alternatively, you do not know how to properly drive an M3.

To those who question the M3's ability to perform as a daily driver, and its capacity to be appreciated on public roads I say nope the M3 is exceedingly easy to drive at low speeds and is far better riding than a 335i since it's not shod in nasty run-flats. In terms of spirited back road runs it's no contest. The M3 offers a communicative feast the car feels as if it is hard wired into your synapses endowed with steering from the gods, a finely tuned variable suspension and of course the N65 - to think it is to do it .

The 335i is nice, but the M3 is qualitatively in a different class. I considered my $60K 335i to be rather expensive, but I regard my $75K M3 to be a steal. Indeed, before I bought my M3 I thought I was going to return to the ranks of Porsche. I was sure I might be purchasing one of the last 997 Carreras. When I test drove a 911 Carrera PDK back to back with an M3 it was no contest. The M3 was not only more functional but the better sports car independent of price.

The E92 M3 is magical and destined to be regarded as one of the finest enthusiast's cars BMW has ever built. BTW I go for days without ever turning on my stereo I prefer sublime M3 music vroommm!
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your M3. I've heard the same that M3 is a very practical sports car.. Whereas the Porches are good if you spend a lot of time at the track and is less forgiving for daily driving... Heard the Cayman suspension is pretty stiff as well...

I might consider the M4 on my next purchase....
2013 Honda Accord EX-L, Modern Steel Metallic/Black Interior
2009 BMW 328i, Jet Black/Black Interior/Premium/Sports/Navi/iPod/Xenon/Automatic
Past:
2008 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Black Interior/Navi

Last edited by deznium; 04-27-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
335i vs. M3 it is self- evident that many posters on this forum are just mouthing old hearsay truisms without having the benefit of actual seat time...
Test. Something is wrong with this app.

Anyhow, which 997 did you drive? A base with no performance additions may explain it. But still I rarely hear people say there is no contest between an M3 and a 911.

Both need to be driven correctly to appreciate them, if 0-60 is your thing, the new 991 with sport plus does it in 4.2s, but neither is practical as a DD.

On the other hand, a turbo like the 335 needs no effort to feel the thrill, can't deny such quality, even though I am an N/A person myself.

Last edited by dtc100; 04-27-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:

To those who question the M3's ability to perform as a daily driver, and its capacity to be appreciated on public roads I say nope the M3 is exceedingly easy to drive at low speeds and is far better riding than a 335i since it's not shod in nasty run-flats. In terms of spirited back road runs it's no contest. The M3 offers a communicative feast the car feels as if it is hard wired into your synapses endowed with steering from the gods, a finely tuned variable suspension and of course the s65 - to think it, is to do it .

I owned an '09 M3 vert with DCT and we currently own a 2011 M3 sedan with MT. Great cars but really not up to snuff as compared with my 997 Carrera GTS. I'm not sure where you did your test drive, but it did not equate to enough seat time to appreciate the differences in the cars.

My son had his M3 for over a year when he took my Porsche out for an extended ride on a few of our back road fun drives. He came back still loving his M3, but admitted that the Porsche had like zero body roll and hugged the corners sharper, the steering had tremendous feedback and was extremely responsive, it has a shorter shifter than the M3, the brakes had more bite, and the engine seemed to love high revs even more than the M3. He also liked the interior quality more.

But, my Porsche should have a higher performance level and fit and finish as compared to the M3 because it costs a lot more!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 04-27-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your M3. I've heard the same that M3 is a very practical sports car.. Whereas the Porches are good if you spend a lot of time at the track and is less forgiving for daily driving... Heard the Cayman suspension is pretty stiff as well...

I might consider the M4 on my next purchase....
Your description of the Porsche sounds like their GT3 model.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Re: Most overrated cars...

Quote:

Fantastic post

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
...If you find one M3 owner that thinks it's an overrated car I'll be surprised.
I'm a bit hungover and my mind is a bit hazy but it would actually be more of an upset if a current owner would speak badly of his ride....

Quote:
335i vs. M3 it is self- evident that many posters on this forum are just mouthing old hearsay truisms without having the benefit of actual seat time...
....For those who say the M3 lacks low end torque methinks, you have very limited, if any, seat time in an M3, or alternatively, you do not know how to properly drive an M3.
First of all, it is awesome to see someone express his love for his car so eloquently. Your passion for your M3 is quite evident.

However, on the flip side of the coin: as easily as the groupthink will dismiss people who "diss" the M3 as not having enough seat time or not knowing how to drive it, those who sing nothing but praises for the car can also be classified as hard core Kool-Aid drinkers hopelessly enchanted by ///Marketing.

Owning an M3 does not equate to unbiased opinion/expertise. It would be just as interesting to hear from those who are former owners and/or those who decided to go with something else...even a 335 (only to be met by "all 335 drivers really want an M3 but can't afford one" ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
....On the other hand, a turbo like the 335 needs no effort to feel the thrill, can't deny such quality, even though I am an N/A person myself.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
"it would actually be more of an upset if a current owner would speak badly of his ride..."
Not really, I found that there is a fair share of both "my car is always the best" and more objective views expressed by owners here so neither should be an upset or surprise. Personally I made it pretty clear how dissapointed I was in many aspects of my F10 from the get go. The M3 on the other hand I have nothing bad to say about, it just fits my preferences like a glove but I grew up in Europe where we where not spoilt with large torquey V8s so I'm used and conditioned to that sporty cars are high revving cars that builds power towards the redline and that's how I prefer it. That said the N54 and N55 are very good turbo engines and I do like them alot ( I also had an E60 with the N54 ) but the S65 is just in another league. How many V8s that revs to 8500 rpms can be had in a car under $100k? It's a pretty exclusive club this little gem is part of.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
David

There are plenty of testimonials on M3post of 335 owners who have upgraded to the M3. Never read one who wasn't more than happy.

Its really not even worth arguing about. The M cars are in a completly different league. I'm not talking about a step up; I'm talking a completly different universe. The 335 is no doubt a fun car, but the s65/s85 is exhilarating.

It really is that simple.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
....Its really not even worth arguing about. The M cars are in a completly different league. I'm not talking about a step up; I'm talking a completly different universe. The 335 is no doubt a fun car, but the s65/s85 is exhilarating.

It really is that simple.

That's not even the argument. My point is the M3 isn't as almighty as it is made out to be. It's not the only game in town...

The V8 in the C63 only revs to something like "only" 7K RPM and isn't bespoke to one model but it is a hell of a lot more impressive in everyday applications. Protestations of "but my motor spins to 8,000 and isn't found on SUVs" is drowned out by the much meaner sounding exhaust.

Somehow, the M3 defenders always turns it into a "the 335 is not in the same league" which is true but is not the argument. That's not enough to explain away that in other ways, suited to other's preferences, the 335 and others are more fun and better than the M3*.

Kinda funny how ///M would want people to think that non-///M is not quite as ultimate. It's ///My way or the highway.

*Note also that E46 M3 did not have the same perceived threat from ZHP.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
That's not even the argument. My point is the M3 isn't as almighty as it is made out to be. It's not the only game in town...

The V8 in the C63 only revs to something like "only" 7K RPM and isn't bespoke to one model but it is a hell of a lot more impressive in everyday applications. Protestations of "but my motor spins to 8,000 and isn't found on SUVs" is drowned out by the much meaner sounding exhaust.

Somehow, the M3 defenders always turns it into a "the 335 is not in the same league" which is true but is not the argument. That's not enough to explain away that in other ways, suited to other's preferences, the 335 and others are more fun and better than the M3*.

Kinda funny how ///M would want people to think that non-///M is not quite as ultimate. It's ///My way or the highway.

It's not about being ultimate or almighty; it's about the unique driving experience.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
It's not about being ultimate or almighty; it's about the unique driving experience.

One man's "unique" is another man's "VTEC Yo!"

I guess there wouldn't be any discussion if they put the C63 engine (which is lighter than S65 despite being bigger) in the E90 M3.........says the guy who is leasing his F30 328i.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:

Yeah I don't get it. Before I owned my '06 M3 I used to be enamored with them. And compared to my E46 325i there was a big gap in power and smaller gap in handling. But as a DD the 335i is more fun to drive, can be pushed in the twisties and doen't feel every paint line, crack and pebble in the road. I decided the 335i would be the perfect replacement.

Oh and the venerable ///M S54 VANOS blew up at just over 41k miles. All prescribed maintenance, interim oil changes and no abuse. At least BMWNA took care it.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
Yeah I don't get it. Before I owned my '06 M3 I used to be enamored with them. And compared to my E46 325i there was a big gap in power and smaller gap in handling. But as a DD the 335i is more fun to drive, can be pushed in the twisties and doen't feel every paint line, crack and pebble in the road. I decided the 335i would be the perfect replacement.

Oh and the venerable ///M S54 VANOS blew up at just over 41k miles. All prescribed maintenance, interim oil changes and no abuse. At least BMWNA took care it.
The e90 m3 has an adjustable suspension.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:

Except the ZHP had better exhaust sound and better steering rack (which the Competition Package borrowed).
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 PM

For you that never driven the M3, find a used one and take it for a test drive. Let it warm up and then run it all the way to redline in the first three gears. Then tell us that this car is overrated... Chances are that you'll take it home then and there or start thinking of which organ to sell to buy one. It's really that special and that is just scratching the surface of what makes this one of the all time great cars.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
For you that never driven the M3, find a used one and take it for a test drive. Let it warm up and then run it all the way to redline in the first three gears. Then tell us that this car is overrated... Chances are that you'll take it home then and there or start thinking of which organ to sell to buy one. It's really that special and that is just scratching the surface of what makes this one of the all time great cars.
Bull****.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Bull****.
It's not a car for everyone's taste I'm just recommending that people try it out and not rely on specifications when judging this car since for the right person the difference is much more than 100 extra horses. After 30k miles or so in this car it's pretty much impossible to overrate it. It's that good for my preferences, if that is bs for your preferences that's cool, we are not all alike.

Last edited by solstice; 04-27-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
David

Quote:
I'm thinking we have quite a few of them in this thread.

Quote:
I have never driven the e9x M3.
Fixed it for ya.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Bull****.
Agreed. Some of them should work for ///Marketing writing brochures (if they aren't already).

Quote:
It's not a car for everyone's taste...
Bingo...and that pretty much sums it up.

The M3 is good, but not all that...not everyone who gets behind the wheel of one will succumb to its siren song...even former owners who decided to move on.....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785032

Last edited by 408Racer; 04-28-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM

IMO both the E9X 335 and the M3 both easily live up to the hype and none is overrated. And congrats to the TQ crowd since your preference will be the only one available very soon, maybe for all eternity. Either in FI engines or electric engines. The engines like the M3s are likely gone forever outside exotics and a few sports cars like the 911. I will surely miss them, luckily though I'm not in the group that dislike FI engines I just prefer the NA when there is a choice.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
The M3 is good, but not all that...not everyone who gets behind the wheel of one will succumb to its siren song...even former owners who decided to move on.....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785032
I read a page or two, yeah, guys who own Carrera GTs, Z06s and GT-Rs are complaining about the M3's lack of torque. Everyone else in the thread seems to love it.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Most overrated car ever: New Camaro. I used to love that car, but after driving both the V6 and 2SS package, and seeing them ALL OVER THE PLACE, I can honestly say that car is overrated. I'd rather have a Mustang.
2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|143,300 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|M Sport Suspension Swap|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Ignoring all the BMW bashing, I'd say the most overrated cars are previous generation STI and Mitsu Evolutions. Most owners think they'll keep up with a Ferrari on race track, ignoring that I passed them in my lowly non-M E46. I'm also not impressed with the Lotus Elise. Sure, the car weighs next to nothing and might be fun to drive, but its not that fast.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
I have owned the E90 M3 and now drive a 2011 E90 335. This is silly.

The M3 is completely different... I know I can chip the 335, change the brakes, the suspension, the diff, blah blah blah. Whatever...

However, I am working towards getting a 2010 or 20111 997 S w/ PDK next and yeah as much as I loved the M3, different league.

The C63 is for the Clarkson persona type; total waste of a great motor.

The RS4 was an excellent car...closest to the M3 but back to back, the M3 felt more alive. I drove the S5 before getting the M3...waste of time - way too soft.

I had a 2003 Z06 with 405HP before the ram air system; probably was around 450 at the crank afterwards. Torque monster. Yes it was quicker than the M3 but the M3 was way more communicative and much better car overall.

Most overrated car? Miata. I do not get it. Yes it shifts well..*****...its a chic car.