Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin T View Post

Most overrated car? Miata. I do not get it. Yes it shifts well..*****...its a chic car.
The Miata may be one of the purest sports cars available today. They are extremely tossable and handle very well. They are a momentum car and on a track like Lime Rock which is a momentum track in the hands of a skilled driver they can keep up with or beat a lot of cars that are much more powerful.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Couldn't agree more, Captain. I well remember being driven around a track in Texas by a race instructor in his own spec Miata and the handling and cornering ability on that car was little short of astonishing. As you say, the Miata humbled far more expensive competition that day too.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
Couldn't agree more, Captain. I well remember being driven around a track in Texas by a race instructor in his own spec Miata and the handling and cornering ability on that car was little short of astonishing. As you say, the Miata humbled far more expensive competition that day too.
Another Miata video.

Jonathan Goring is one of the Lime Rock Drivers Club Coaches and is a very skilled driver who knows LRP like the back of his hand.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
You guys are talking about race/track prepped/spec'd cars...that changes things a bit. I would not buy of these for my own use...for the same money, would get something preowned.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
True, but underneath remains the base Miata. It's a very well balanced car and it's excellent to drive. It is every inch an enthusiast choice.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Launch Control Ready

And you do not look right in it unless you have a nice scarf around your neck whistling in the wind...

Joking...just not my cup of tea.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
Wow....some people amaze me. Listen to your self and reread your post. As few of you guys are not making any sense at all. Your posts reek of utter bias based on what car is parked in your garage. In a comparison of 328i vs 335i vs M3 each car makes perfect sense at its price point and derived purpose. All 3 cars above have good driving dynamics and excel in their class among their peers. To compare one to the other is as unfair as comparing Jordan to Tiger woods to Michael Phillips. Each is good among its own peers.

No matter how hard you try you can't turn an brand new M3 into a fuel efficient daily driver that has a base price of close to $38K thus we have 328i. No matter how hard you try in real world it is much harder to turn a brand new $45K base price 335i into M3 competitor without exceeding the base price of M3 at $58K.

A M3 is more then just 100hp. It has a great engine that revs to sky high 8000 rpm with sounds that match some of the high revving exotics costing far more. Even though 335i has it own great sounding inline-6 twin turbo they are quiet distinct sounds and neither can mimic the other. The M steering feel and feed back that can't be duplicated in 335i. As M suspension in addition to Hydraulic servo steering programming is designed by M division specially to create that unique M feeling at the helm with its faster ratios. The wide body stance, carbon fiber roof, quad exhausts, larger and lighter M wheel and tires, M3 specific seats, M steering, M dynamics differential, LSD, larger oil cooler and transmission cooler as well as M specific intakes for better breathing hooked to one of the M3 specific hood designs, a freer flowing quad exhaust, DCT transmission with its M specific programming and ultra lightning quick shifts.

To get all this done to a 335i from outside with labor...... the cost will be more then the....price of an M3 without M3 factory warranty or maintenance. At the end of the day 328i is good but is not in the same league as 335i and neither is 335i in the same league as M3.

My opinion is based on driving all 3 cars over many generations from E46 generation to E9x generations cars. In fact I currently own a 335i modified and by no means stock to stock or modified to stock I could turn my 335i into M3 beater for less money and warranty then what M3 would cost me in the market in first place. That is not to say 335i is not a great car at its own price point. I have it in my garage because its inline-6 twin turbo sounds good, provides decent gas mileage and lots of low down torque and plenty of performance and handling with in it price point. I could have bought an M3 but decided not to because I needed a more fuel efficient daily driver like 335i. That does not mean I have to put down M3 or 328i to justify my purchase.

A basic difference between fan boy and a enthusiast is that an enthusiast can appreciate all flavors and types of cars while a fan boy is close minded to anything but what he owns or desires to own.

Back to the original question that OP asked. The most over rated car in my personal experience was 2003 SL500 Costing close to $90K. An overly heavy car with the steering wheel that is life less and just utter rubbish. The handling and driving dynamics are not worth mentioning even the engine was just OK. Only thing going for the car was its fancy folding hard top roof and looks. I would pass on such a car at such a price point cause it is nothing but a poseur mobile for country club parking lots.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-11-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: E46 325ci
Most overrated cars...

Does anyone know of a great window tint shop in Oceanside ca or near there ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:
Most overrated car? Miata. I do not get it. Yes it shifts well..*****...its a chic car.
2004 MSM Miata here. Mildly warmed over. Would love to encounter you on a track some day.

Mods are inexpensive and plentiful. I can see why it has such a following...besides the magical handling.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Launch Control Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
2004 MSM Miata here. Mildly warmed over. Would love to encounter you on a track some day.

Mods are inexpensive and plentiful. I can see why it has such a following...besides the magical handling.
Why? You have a hankering for getting lapped?

Sorry, could not resist being sophomoric in kind...

Have at it with the Miata...if it floats your boat, so be it. As I stated early, not my cup of tea. People are allowed to have an opinion that conflicts with your own...purpose of a forum and all...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Most overrated car.

Any Lamborghini with the exception of the Miura.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Launch Control Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Most overrated car.

Any Lamborghini with the exception of the Miura.

CA
LOL considering what I just posted over in the Aventador thread...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
LOL considering what I just posted over in the Aventador thread...
The Miura was ground breaking but in the collector car market is not worth anywhere near as much as many Ferraris. Miuras have been going for between 1 and 1.5 million at auction. Ferraris can command ten to twenty times as much.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
To the original question:

From the looks of it, I would say that the new F series chassis/model is not fairing as well as it's predecessor did. Audi seems to be stepping up its game, and Mercedes AMG keeps improving where they faltered and improve what they were good at. Then again, the new M3 has yet to be released so we shall see what happens there, but as it stands, I see many writers not as thoroughly pleased with the new F chassis/models as the Audi(s) and Merc(s) in the same category.

I have grown a strong liking for the AMG company and performance within the past few months as their products seem to be getting better and better. I have never really been a fan of Audi and their S platforms. Chrome mirrors and lack-luster performance has kept me at bay, but they have stepped up their game recently (but Merc(s) is beyond Audi in my honest opinion). I drive a BMW, and while it is not a M car, I do like BMW, but the lack in steering performance compared to the feel of the last models on the new F series has me worried that their new M car will not be a beauty like the previous M3 models, particularly the E30 and E46, granted this is the M4 coming out. Steering and suspension, in my opinion, made the M car as well as the normal models of BMW so desirable. These attributes completed the package and BMW offered a wholesome car that was beyond their competitors due to the feeling in steering and suspension. Now that this is jeopardized, the package is not as complete due to their lack-luster performance figures in other areas as compared to Merc(s) and Audi, not to mention that those companies have stepped up their game in the steering and suspension department to rival BMW.

My credentials? Since everyone here surely and truly needs validity when viewing one's arguments, which is understandable since the internet is serious business, I read and watch automotive reviews daily in my spare-time and have been doing so for years. I have a clear indication of the past trends with these three German manufacturers and their philosophies when it comes to building the perfect automobile.

Overrated cars? Where to begin: New Mustang, New Camaro, Corvette (yes I said it), Toyota Camry, Nissan 370z, etc... I could go on. Audi's S platforms are lack-luster to me as well, but I think that is due to aesthetics (inside and out) rather than actual feel.

You may call this a troll message or call me a traitor to the BMW community, but I do predict that as we speak, with BMW's new direction, Mercedes Benz and AMG will or have already met or perhaps surpassed BMW. My BMW is a 2007, and I love this car. I speak only for the new 2012 direction. I fear the M3/M4 is going to be disappointing.

Last edited by Gus the Sig; 06-01-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Re: Most overrated cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus the Sig View Post
Overrated cars? Where to begin: New Mustang, New Camaro, Corvette (yes I said it), Toyota Camry, Nissan 370z, etc... I could go on. Audi's S platforms are lack-luster to me as well, but I think that is due to aesthetics (inside and out) rather than actual feel.
I would agree on the new Camaro. The new Mustang is not bad (especially a certain cammed 5.0 that I see at the college from time to time), haven't really looked at the new Corvette, and the 370Z is alright. Toyota Camry can't really be overrated, it's not a driver's car. It's a mass produced people mover, and I believe it does its job well.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|150,600 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Launch Control Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalBassist View Post
I would agree on the new Camaro. The new Mustang is not bad (especially a certain cammed 5.0 that I see at the college from time to time), haven't really looked at the new Corvette, and the 370Z is alright. Toyota Camry can't really be overrated, it's not a driver's car. It's a mass produced people mover, and I believe it does its job well.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
+1

And AMG, seriously? I mean sure it goes fast in a straight line but many of the AMG models have never been able to properly use the power outside of the dragstrip and I am not plopping down that much for a one trick pony.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: Acura CL-S
probably the one that sticks out in my mind is the 350z/370z or maybe even the b7 audi rs4. the newer Z drives like a tank and has a TERRIBLE sounding engine, and also doesn't feel as fast in a straight line as it's numbers suggest. it certainly has a lot of grip in the turns but feels about as nimble as my 4000lb E39. as for the RS4...looks and sounds fantastic, but could quite possibly be the slowest 420hp car i've ever driven.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Launch Control Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
probably the one that sticks out in my mind is the 350z/370z or maybe even the b7 audi rs4. the newer Z drives like a tank and has a TERRIBLE sounding engine, and also doesn't feel as fast in a straight line as it's numbers suggest. it certainly has a lot of grip in the turns but feels about as nimble as my 4000lb E39. as for the RS4...looks and sounds fantastic, but could quite possibly be the slowest 420hp car i've ever driven.
I thought the B7 RS4 did 0-60 in 4.5 seconds with 1/4 mile of around 13 flat...not exactly a slouch... I know the E90 M3 is faster but the RS4 is not a dog or anything...
Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
The new S-Class. The design is kind of a mess with the altering lines motions, the front is blocky/clunky and not very fluid, namely the headlights and their relationship to everything around them, and the interior looks like a modern interpretation of a 70's Lincoln "Old Country Club" style (and that 2 spoke steering wheel.... never seen something so shamelessly geriatric in a car). M-B loyalists and those who have been rooting/needing M-B to put out something that looks remotely cohesive and decent after so many IMO upsetting designs lately are going hysterical over it, and I just don't get it.

Oh, and it rides on the EXACT platform from the W221 S-Class, so that means its proportions are engineered exactly as they were in 2005, i.e the overhangs haven't been shrunken and the wheelbase hasn't been extended (i.e usually with new cars even if they stay the same overall length, the wheelbase will be longer and the overhangs shorter, resulting in a more sprawled-out, athletic and tight stance, not to mention improved right dynamics).

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 06-18-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Most overrated cars...

LOL @ the people with little dick syndrome.

"I put down more torque than an m3"

Hahaha shut up.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
The new S-Class. The design is kind of a mess with the altering lines motions, the front is blocky/clunky and not very fluid, namely the headlights and their relationship to everything around them, and the interior looks like a modern interpretation of a 70's Lincoln "Old Country Club" style (and that 2 spoke steering wheel.... never seen something so shamelessly geriatric in a car). M-B loyalists and those who have been rooting/needing M-B to put out something that looks remotely cohesive and decent after so many IMO upsetting designs lately are going hysterical over it, and I just don't get it.

Oh, and it rides on the EXACT platform from the W221 S-Class, so that means its proportions are engineered exactly as they were in 2005, i.e the overhangs haven't been shrunken and the wheelbase hasn't been extended (i.e usually with new cars even if they stay the same overall length, the wheelbase will be longer and the overhangs shorter, resulting in a more sprawled-out, athletic and tight stance, not to mention improved right dynamics).
I hope you're joking. The S Class is the most technologically advanced car on the market. Nothing comes close, especially from BMW.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: German

Most Hondas, Acuras, and Infinitis.
All hideous and saddled with mediocre outdated technology

Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I hope you're joking. The S Class is the most technologically advanced car on the market. Nothing comes close, especially from BMW.

I just think some people who seem to need it to be the most impressive thing to ever grace the roads are exaggerating it (in some cases they're practically hysterical over it). Technologically advanced is one thing (and many of those are options which the vast majority won't have). I'm basing this off of looks (no big deal IMO with of course its very nice points along with some discordant points) and I know especially M-B fans love the interior but I find it to be excessively "old school country club-ish" with an odd mating of an upper giant screen portion.... that steering wheel alone is one of the worst and most "Great-Grandpa" things I've seen in a car), chassis construction (sits on a beefed up W221 chassis with a torsional rigidity figure that is pretty much in line with the F10's), and drive- which First Drive reports so far don't seem to imply breaks much new ground from the outgoing model (a proper evolution). Magic Body Control seems to be a gimmick at this point as apparently it doesn't read potholes and jagged road surfaces, and is mainly meant for speed bumps.

It's a very impressive car and objectively will most certainly (better be) the class leading large luxury barge, but IMO the hoopla surrounding it from Benz faithful is overblown. My prediction is it won't be a standout for the S Class nameplate after it's on the road for 2-3 years, if based on how I feel it will aesthetically age alone, as I'm assuming the fundamental engineering should be top notch.

Last edited by K-A; 07-10-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I agree with most all of your post. Except for the fact you have it other way around. The new C7 is bang for the buck that makes it underrated not overrated. It matches the performance, looks, and interior of cars $20K-$40K more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus the Sig View Post
To the original question:

Overrated cars? Where to begin: New Corvette (yes I said it),

Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I agree with most all of your post. Except for the fact you have it other way around. The new C7 is bang for the buck that makes it underrated not overrated. It matches the performance, looks, and interior of cars $20K-$40K more.
You're confusing "value" with "overrated". The C7 Vette is a good value relative to the cars Chevrolet is aiming it at. Howver, if you read the hype, you'd get the impression that it was designed by Michelangelo, outruns a 918 around Nurburgring, and rides like Rolls Royce.

You may point to the latest C&D issue were the C7 beat a 911S in a comparison test by a few points. C&D claimed that it won even regardless of price, but ignored that it gain 19 points because the 911S was ridiculously optioned. So, those with the dough will still continue to buy the better car - the 911.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................