Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740iL
2000 740il mysterious oil leak

On my 2000 740il I noticed a small amount of oil on the ground (about the size of a quarter). After looking under the car it looked like it was leaking near the bell housing but the area was mostly dry. I havent seen any oil on the ground for like 3 weeks than yesterday another spot on the ground. What could this be? I figured an oil leak would be something constant not once every several weeks.
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Bell housing huh? Maybe could be a leak from the back of the top part of the engine (read: valve cover gaskets), then dripping down on top of the bell housing, then down towards the bottom of the bell housing. With the car cold, run your hands around the back and sides of the engine, where the valve cover meets the block and see if it's wet with oil. Though if there's that much, you'd usually expect to see a little white smoke and smell it too. But you never know. GL!

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded

Last edited by aom; 04-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740iL
Thank you very much! I'll do exactly what you suggested I should do.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 740IL
1995 BMW 740IL mysterious oil leak in the back end passenger side seen after parked

I have this oil leak from the back right passenger side of the vehicle. What is this? Could it be power steering draining. As I just added a quart of power steering a week ago upon hearing the grunting from the movement to steer. Is that what's leaking? Someone give a guy some help.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Robinson View Post
I have this oil leak from the back right passenger side of the vehicle. What is this? Could it be power steering draining. As I just added a quart of power steering a week ago upon hearing the grunting from the movement to steer. Is that what's leaking? Someone give a guy some help.
Power steering hoses are notorious for leaking on our cars.
If it were my car, I'd clean the PS hoses, then watch & see how bad they are leaking.
The PS canister top also has a small hole on one of the spoke edges where PS fluid can also leak out if it's filled to high. Also, check the rubber o-ring is not pinched or missing from the PS canister top (it is supposed to sit in a groove you should be able to see in the threads of the top.

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.